Muse mentioned in article about 'the resurgence of prog rock'

Stellaris

It's a fairly long article so I'll just quote the parts where Muse is mentioned:

Not every new band tarred with the prog brush seems overjoyed about the label – when I mention it to Mike Vennart, of Manchester's Oceansize, he responds with a groan about "musical masturbation" – but you can see prog rock's influence on mainstream rock in Coheed & Cambria's concept albums topping the US chart; in Muse and Pendulum, who collaborated with nu-prog stalwarts Porcupine Tree on their current album Immersion. This weekend, the High Voltage festival in east London will not only boast a headlining performance by Emerson Lake & Palmer – whose first British live show in 15 years seems to have been greeted with widespread delight, rather than the yell of horror it would once have provoked – but a dedicated prog stage, playing host to Marillion, Asia, Pendragon and Transatlantic. The latter, a latterday prog supergroup featuring members of Marillion, Spock's Beard and Dream Theater drummer Mike Portnoy, are what you might call the full Roger Dean-designed triple gatefold sleeve; in contrast, Muse look like the Dead Kennedys. [:LOL:]

Ewing doesn't see any punk-style backlash in the immediate future. "It's forever evolving. Progressive bands constantly change their sound." Furthermore, he asserts, "the current new prog bands have learnt from the excesses of the past". But one looks at Muse's preposterously overblown live shows, or Transatlantic's hour-long songs and thinks: no, they haven't. They haven't at all. People just don't seem bothered any more.

from http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/jul/22/prog-rock-genesis-rush-mostly-autumn

I think I read somewhere that one of the guys (Dom maybe?) said he doesn't particularly like prog rock and doesn't think Muse fits in that genre.

The article also points out that a lot of prog rock bands, when signed by major labels, are pressured to make more radio-friendly songs. Seems like Muse has certainly faced that pressure.

It's a fairly long article so I'll just quote the parts where Muse is mentioned:

I think I read somewhere that one of the guys (Dom maybe?) said he doesn't particularly like prog rock and doesn't think Muse fits in that genre.

The article also points out that a lot of prog rock bands, when signed by major labels, are pressured to make more radio-friendly songs. Seems like Muse has certainly faced that pressure.

Yes you're right, Dom said that during an interview published in French Mag "Rock & Folk", June edition :)

http://erato1.wordpress.com/matthew-bellamy/2010-muse-in-rock-folk-magazine-france-english-translation/

The music they are making today is certainly not the result of anyone telling them not to make prog music.

Archived