What would you consider to be the saddest Muse song?

SonicZack

im sorry but most of you are picking song that i find incredibly the opposite of sadness. i think most of you are only listening to one part of the song or another... but it might have something to do to how you guys add that particular song into your life.

i still think con science wins.

People interpret these songs differently, there's no right or wrong :wtf: People could think a song is depressing because of the music, the lyrics, whatever. There's nothing wrong with thinking Invincible, Unintended and Sing for Abolution are sad. They are, in way.

This is really interesting to see everyone's different interpretations of songs, some of them are quite different from mine.

I was surprised to see Sing for Absolution; I find it really uplifting and empowering, although I guess there is an underlying sadness. I remember hearing that it was written about finding absolution in singing/writing music, and I find that really comes through when I listen to it, which is definitely a happy message to me. Although I guess some parts of the song and some of the lyrics can be pretty sad, especially the verses. Ok actually the verses are really sad. To completely turn back on what I said above haha. Now that I think about it, it's almost like the verses are about sad/depressing things, and then the chorus's are about how it doesn't matter because of music. I quite like that interpretation :)

As someone said above, the lack of mention for Hoodoo is surprising. The quiet parts especially are really sad.

Map of the Problematique I find sad too, mainly because of the lyrics, but the music is quite fun. But the "I can't get it right..." and "Lonliness be over..." parts (choruses?) are definitely sad.

The end of Citizen Erased is incredibly sad and beautiful; it has a real finality to it.

There is no doubt Endlessly is sad, but I find it strangely uplifting as well. But when he sings "But the moment never comes" at the end, that has to be one of the sadder Muse moments for me. I always find the contrast with the guitar intro to TOADA that follows quite a shock. Falling Away With You I find the sadness much more superficial.

Soldier's Poem

Exogenesis I

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sunburn yet, I find it pretty sad. Unintended also, although that's had a few mentions.

HCM definitely, may be even just normal Hyper Music; as someone said above, the angrier songs like Dead Star, Hysteria, Stockholm Syndrome, Fury, Small Print, Futurism, even Muscle Museum, have a sort of sadness about them too, but maybe sadness isn't quite the right word. Maybe a sort of sense of hopelessness or something. ("you used to be everything to me", "I want you now" etc)

I often feel sad listening to Invincible, even though the lyrics are quite happy.

Forced In?

Space Dementia?

Screenager?

Interlude? haha

Easily?

Megalomania?

Intro to USoE?

Guiding Light?

Wow sorry about the novel haha, I wasn't intending to write that much. I feel quite depressed now, I think I'll listen to Popcorn :)

Archived