I'm home! :awesome:

Me and the sis are leaving late tomorrow and staying two nights at the Double Tree, which is only a couple miles from the venue. Don't know what time we are lining up, but we expect to get good spots nonetheless....barring the weather isn't too shitty.

I have mixed feelings about the weather... on the one hand, I want it to be nice so I'm not miserable, on the other, the worse the weather is, the less people will line up early :shifty:

I have mixed feelings about the weather... on the one hand, I want it to be nice so I'm not miserable, on the other, the worse the weather is, the less people will line up early :shifty:

I think it'll be fine as long as it isn't some ridiculous lightning storm and such. Just bring an umbrella and a chair, and your set. Plus the temperature is going to be so nice that day. I'm actually kinda excited for it.

I think it'll be fine as long as it isn't some ridiculous lightning storm and such. Just bring an umbrella and a chair, and your set. Plus the temperature is going to be so nice that day. I'm actually kinda excited for it.

Yeah, I'm just not looking forward to being damp :chuckle: It's good that it's going to be warm, it would be awful if it was cold and rainy :(

Was just coming here to find you!

My friend send me a LIST of potential restaurants :eek: Apparently, there are many unique places to choose from! Do you have a price range, and a cuisine preference?

Nothing super expensive. Dallas and I are both pretty flexible.

Hey everyone! I'm so excited for Wed!!! I'm so glad I'll have fellow Musers in 113 G! :D

Is anyone meeting up before the show? I lived in Charlottesville for a year and a half and know it pretty well. Some of you all had mentioned the Downtown Mall, there are some good restaurants down there. There's also a good South African restaurant nearby. It just depends on what type of food you're in the mood for.

Can't wait for Wednesday!!

Oh, just saw this!

I am, sadly, allergic to fish, so a restaurant that is primarily a fish place would be a bad call. Other than that, I'm up for about anything ...

While not allergic, fish isn't my favorite, so that works out. I've never had South African food before, so I don't know what that entails. But really, Dallas and I are go-with-the-flow people. The parameters I'd put on this would probably be no fast food, and nothing super expensive.

Oh, glow bracelets! Thanks for reminding me!

YES WE NEEDZ THEM!

Also, you don't have to go all the way downtown for good eats. There are pretty decent (and cheaper, I think) local places on the Corner, which is on University Avenue (which turns into Main Street, which eventually takes you to the downtown mall). Also, if you're looking for something closer, aka walking distance from hotels (Budget Inn, Cavalier Inn on Emmett), there's a place called The Villa, local joint with a pretty good selection.

Hope to be there by 7AMish. Love that pit :)

I will post this on both theads, but I'm trying to figure out who is going to both shows. I am seated for Ral, but Q for C'ville and would just like to get an idea of who is going to both. Also, the ones that are going from Ral to C'ville - what is your travel plan? I have looked at the interstate route and non-interstate route to decide which is best. I do not know anything about the area between the two and I'm afraid that the non-interstate route will take me through a bunch of small towns and slow me down. Hubby and I are shooting to leave Ral at 8:00 am to get to the C'ville queue by 12:00 (*hopes that is early enough for barrier*)

Anyways, post here or Ral thread, or PM me and let me know what you think.

I should really learn how to quote more than once in a post :( . forgive me, all.

I'd say that if you're leaving that early, it'd be safe to take the interstate. Local roads, while they may provide nice scenery, can be hit or miss with how many stoplights you have. Can get annoying. You should be hitting Cville before major traffic happens. Just my two cents. I'll post this in Raleigh's too!

I've never had South African food before. What's it like?

I've had these recommended to me:

Bizou, which she calls "eclectic"

Continental Divide - Mexican

Blue Light - "trendy"

Escafe - they call themselves "comfort food with a twist"

TechnicolorStarlight, do you have experience with any of these?

YES WE NEEDZ THEM!

Also, you don't have to go all the way downtown for good eats. There are pretty decent (and cheaper, I think) local places on the Corner, which is on University Avenue (which turns into Main Street, which eventually takes you to the downtown mall). Also, if you're looking for something closer, aka walking distance from hotels (Budget Inn, Cavalier Inn on Emmett), there's a place called The Villa, local joint with a pretty good selection.

Yes? So, The Villa ... what else?

next to the quote button is a button with a " on it, that's the multiquote button ;)

:)

Yes? So, The Villa ... what else?

On the Corner, there's a place called Cafe Europa, which is Greek/Mediterranean food, Pita Pit (not so local), Revolutionary Soup, Lemongrass (Thai/Vietnamese), Basil (Mediterranean, bit pricey), Semolina (gourmet pizza, 200 kinds of bottled beer), Marco & Luca (dumplings, cheap), Take-It-Away (sandwiches), Little John's (cheap good sandwiches), Christian's Pizza (pizza by the slice, low-key) and a lot more. But basically covers the bases.

I've never had South African food before. What's it like?

I've had these recommended to me:

Bizou, which she calls "eclectic"

Continental Divide - Mexican

Blue Light - "trendy"

Escafe - they call themselves "comfort food with a twist"

TechnicolorStarlight, do you have experience with any of these?

I wouldn't recommend Bizou. Continental Divide is ok, but there are much better options on Main Street. If you're going Mexican/Tex-Mex, hit up Mas for tapas or Aqui es Mexico. Blue Light is a nice place, and I've never been to Escafe. Those are all, minus Continental Divide, pretty pricey places. Out of those four I would go with the Blue Light Cafe.

If you're downtown and want a quicker meal, Eppie's isn't bad, and I've always liked the Nook, but that's more of a diner atmosphere. The best "pricey" places are Hamilton's and the Downtown Grille.

Phew. That's quite a bit. As another poster stated, the Corner isn't bad, and it gives you more of the University feel - you'll be surrounded by students. If you head that way, I recommend Little John's or Take It Away on Eliewood, if you want a quick sandwich. If you want to sit down, head to Lemongrass (thai food) or Basil. Both are really good.

I know that's a lot of info. Honestly, for the Corner and Downtown, there are so many places within a close proximity of one another that you can wander and find what you really want.

http://www.Charlottesville-dining.com is also very helpful.

Hope that helps... I wrote much more than I intended...

On the Corner, there's a place called Cafe Europa, which is Greek/Mediterranean food, Pita Pit (not so local), Revolutionary Soup, Lemongrass (Thai/Vietnamese), Basil (Mediterranean, bit pricey), Semolina (gourmet pizza, 200 kinds of bottled beer), Marco & Luca (dumplings, cheap), Take-It-Away (sandwiches), Little John's (cheap good sandwiches), Christian's Pizza (pizza by the slice, low-key) and a lot more. But basically covers the bases.

I haven't been to Semolina's since it opened, but I heard it was gooooood. If pizza is your thing, Christian's/Semo's/Mellow Mushroom are amazing.

YES WE NEEDZ THEM!

I'm flexible as to locale. As long as it's yummy! Is this correct on the dinner meet-up so far: Me (Shiner1), Lynx, & Technicolor Starlight?

I haven't been to Semolina's since it opened, but I heard it was gooooood. If pizza is your thing, Christian's/Semo's/Mellow Mushroom are amazing.

http://www.basilmedbistro.com/menu.html

Sweet baby Jesus - the beer menu is 52 pages long . . .

http://www.semolinacville.com/menu.html

http://www.lemongrassuva.com/menu.html

I'm good with all of these. Price wise, Basil is probably the top end of the spectrum.

Hey guys! Shiner1, I’m in seat 4. How about you?

Lynx, I haven’t been to any of the places on your list. I’ve heard good things about Blue Light though, but I’m not sure what type of food they have. The Villa is OK, it’s kind of like a diner, if I remember correctly. There’s also a good place called Arch’s near JPJ, they’re known for their ice cream but their food is good too! Christian’s Pizza is a Charlottesville institution, so I don’t think you can really go wrong there. Breadworks is also a good bakery/sandwich shop, but they close kind of early I think. Wahoowa mentioned Mas, which is really good. There’s another place on the downtown mall called Café Cubano, but I’m not sure if they’re open for dinner.

I’m really up for anything though! However, cheap is preferable! :)

Hey guys! Shiner1, I’m in seat 4. How about you?

Lynx, I haven’t been to any of the places on your list. I’ve heard good things about Blue Light though, but I’m not sure what type of food they have. The Villa is OK, it’s kind of like a diner, if I remember correctly. There’s also a good place called Arch’s near JPJ, they’re known for their ice cream but their food is good too! Christian’s Pizza is a Charlottesville institution, so I don’t think you can really go wrong there. Breadworks is also a good bakery/sandwich shop, but they close kind of early I think. Wahoowa mentioned Mas, which is really good. There’s another place on the downtown mall called Café Cubano, but I’m not sure if they’re open for dinner.

I’m really up for anything though! However, cheap is preferable! :)

Iburnslikethesun's group is in 5-8, and we're in 9 & 10. The boardie row! :awesome:

Christian's sounds good too. Cuban is not my favorite, but I can find stuff there if that's where everyone else wants to go. Technicolor Starlight, how many in your party?

Archived