2013.03.05 - Schottenstein Center, Columbus, OH, US

podiumboy

Who's going? Located on OSU's campus, this should be a big one. There is a locally owned/run radio station with a huge presence in Columbus that plays a lot of Muse (and other modern rock). I'm glad I didn't initially grab Cleveland tickets, as this is only about 45 minutes from my house.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Wait a sec, you live 52 miles from Muse, Pa? Because I live 50 miles from Muse, Pa.

I live in St. Clairsville, OH, which is on I-70 about 10 miles west of Wheeling, WV. I once visited Muse, PA, for fun, and for cool photos. I wasn't the one who stole the sign though. :LOL:

Dude, I live in Moundsville, WV! I go to St. Clairsville every week. My aunt lives there.

Cool! I think we are the only Musers around. Actually there is a local band called 'Veracity' that are influenced by Muse. My husband picked up a free cd at the Grindhouse Cafe (St. C.), because he saw that they liked Muse. They do a lot of arpeggios, and much better baselines that any other high school aged bands. There singer needs improvement, but they are already way beyond your typical 3-chord band.

Cool! I think we are the only Musers around. Actually there is a local band called 'Veracity' that are influenced by Muse. My husband picked up a free cd at the Grindhouse Cafe (St. C.), because he saw that they liked Muse. They do a lot of arpeggios, and much better baselines that any other high school aged bands. There singer needs improvement, but they are already way beyond your typical 3-chord band.

I'll check them out. So, what time do you think I should be there to get barrier, seeing that you went to the last gig in Columbus.

I'll check them out. So, what time do you think I should be there to get barrier, seeing that you went to the last gig in Columbus.

:LOL: Ha ha ha! I might not be a good person to ask! I am crazy and went almost straight there after the show the night before in Cincinnati. We just unloaded our stuff at the Red Roof Inn and then went to the venue! If you go to my profile page on here, there are some photos of the crazy bunch of us. But...that was in October, and except for the cold night, the weather was GREAT all day. So we got there around 3am. Then the next group arrived around 6 or 7am. I think by 2pm there were a hundred fans lined up.

I'm not yet sure what I'll do this time. It depends on the weather.

Oh, one good thing about this venue. There is a lobby area with bathrooms that are open all day.

The closest hotel is the Red Roof Inn. It's quite a walk, but it worked for us.

:LOL: Ha ha ha! I might not be a good person to ask! I am crazy and went almost straight there after the show the night before in Cincinnati. We just unloaded our stuff at the Red Roof Inn and then went to the venue! If you go to my profile page on here, there are some photos of the crazy bunch of us. But...that was in October, and except for the cold night, the weather was GREAT all day. So we got there around 3am. Then the next group arrived around 6 or 7am. I think by 2pm there were a hundred fans lined up.

I'm not yet sure what I'll do this time. It depends on the weather.

Oh, one good thing about this venue. There is a lobby area with bathrooms that are open all day.

The closest hotel is the Red Roof Inn. It's quite a walk, but it worked for us.

I'm planning on getting there around 9 or 10. I think thats early enough to get barrier.

When will we know if they postpone it? I would hate to drive 2 1/2 hours to wait and then have it postponed.

Was that not the most exciting night of your life?! I hope you make it home safely. It.s really bad out there. Great that it didn't snow until after we got inside the venue!

What would've normally been a 45 minute drive home became a 2+ hour pain in the ass! The traffic on I-70 was only going about 25-30 mph, and sometimes that felt too fast! Then the last third of my journey home is on State Route 29, and that was just awful! The snowplows were just starting to respond! Luckily I have 4 Wheel Drive, or there are parts I might not have gotten through. There were cars abandoned on the side of the road everywhere, and even a jackknifed semi. Funny thing is, when I walked into the concert, it was just lightly raining, nothing to register hardly a thought.

On to the show. MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN that was awesome! I saw them here in 2010 also, and visually this blows that show away. What an awesome production! However, the music was still the focal point, and they were incredible. What a superior group of musicians. I am not as whimsical about concerts as I used to be in my teens/early 20s (I'm 30 now), but as long as Muse choose to come to Ohio, I sure as hell will be there!

Lastly, it was hard to ignore the fact that the entire upper bowl of the arena was curtained off. This show was not as well attended as the 2010 show even. Which is unfortunate, because this is literally the best live band to come from the 21st century so far. They deserve to be playing arenas/stadiums, with a kickass production like they had. I hope they still come back next time, but if they do I hope they don't have to downgrade to a smaller venue!

What would've normally been a 45 minute drive home became a 2+ hour pain in the ass! The traffic on I-70 was only going about 25-30 mph, and sometimes that felt too fast! Then the last third of my journey home is on State Route 29, and that was just awful! The snowplows were just starting to respond! Luckily I have 4 Wheel Drive, or there are parts I might not have gotten through. There were cars abandoned on the side of the road everywhere, and even a jackknifed semi. Funny thing is, when I walked into the concert, it was just lightly raining, nothing to register hardly a thought.

On to the show. MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN that was awesome! I saw them here in 2010 also, and visually this blows that show away. What an awesome production! However, the music was still the focal point, and they were incredible. What a superior group of musicians. I am not as whimsical about concerts as I used to be in my teens/early 20s (I'm 30 now), but as long as Muse choose to come to Ohio, I sure as hell will be there!

Lastly, it was hard to ignore the fact that the entire upper bowl of the arena was curtained off. This show was not as well attended as the 2010 show even. Which is unfortunate, because this is literally the best live band to come from the 21st century so far. They deserve to be playing arenas/stadiums, with a kickass production like they had. I hope they still come back next time, but if they do I hope they don't have to downgrade to a smaller venue!

Cool - I live in Dallas and will be taking my kids to Colorado when the band is in Dallas. Thus, I am driving to Tulsa (4 hours) to see MUSE. I am a dude in my 40s and discovered MUSE at the U2 concert in Dallas back in '09. Love the positive review...can't wait! !!

Yeah I only live 15 minutes away from campus and it took us 1.5 hours to get home (30 just to get out of the parking lot and then another hour going no more than 20 mph on the highways). The highways looked like they hadn't even been touched with a plow yet and there were ruts of snow everywhere with cars all over the place like you mentioned, podiumboy.

But it was all well worth it to see Muse. We were about 9 deep from the stage on the floor and jammed and danced the whole time. I'll admit I was a smidge disappointed in that I had been checking the setlists from the previous concerts on the tour and was really hoping for Bliss, PIB, or Butterflies & Hurricanes since I'd read that they've been practicing that before their concerts. Still Matt, Chris, and Dom were fantastic!

Oh and I definitely agree about the disappointment in them having to close off the upper sections last night. The problem here in Columbus is I only know of one radio station that really plays Muse regularly so they just don't get the exposure. If more of their music were played regularly, and I don't think it's a real popular station, or god forbid we have MTV play music videos, that arena would've been packed to the brim.

Oh and I definitely agree about the disappointment in them having to close off the upper sections last night. The problem here in Columbus is I only know of one radio station that really plays Muse regularly so they just don't get the exposure. If more of their music were played regularly, and I don't think it's a real popular station, or god forbid we have MTV play music videos, that arena would've been packed to the brim.

Definitely agree. CD101 (or whatever is it now?) is the only station worth a damn in Columbus, but that's because it doesn't pander to the POP kids, thus it has a smaller audience.

In 2010 there were 7800 people in this venue, and there was definitely less than that this time. It certainly didn't spoil my experience. I don't really care who was there, as long as I was. But this seemed like an expensive production, and I wonder if they are even turning a profit at some of these poorly attended shows. What worries me is that Muse will not return to Columbus. Because the options are either;

A- play a smaller venue, such as the 5,000 capacity LC outdoor amphitheater, but that would require touring a smaller stage production.

B- play another half full arena show (or less).

C- The next album is a HUGE HIT, and they are able to fill arenas everywhere.

The reason they play big arenas that they can't come close to selling out is because they just want to tour with one universal stage setup, rather than doing what bands like The Killers do and play arenas in big cities and smaller venues in smaller cities, which requires different staging. I just hope that they do come back again, whenever it comes time for the next tour.

Afterthought: Most bands don't play all 3 Ohio cities in one week. That probably affected sales a little bit in all 3 shows. They should've done Cincy and Cleveland on this leg, and made the people in the middle of the state go either North or South. Then come back on the fall leg and play Columbus, and make the people from the whole state meet in the middle in Columbus. Had this been the case, I possibly would've gone to both Cincy and Columbus.

Archived