Absolution Era Tone

MattMuse1991

Just watched Glastonbury 2004 and have really come to appreciate matts old guitar tones from that era even if subjectively his tone has improved since then.

I know he was using a much simple setup than what he's using now but from what I've heard of the diezel vh4 it doesn't strike me as recognizable even when that's all he was using. It sounds to me like he was still scooping highs out like he does to this day but some of it sounds very fuzzy so question is it just the diezel by itself or has it got the fuzz factory on top of it which makes it sound like this?

Using this video as a reference

that's more or less what the 3rd channel on the VH4 sounds like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8HtttC8lPW8#t=1907s

that's a perfect example of channel 3 on the VH4. I don't think he's using any additional effects to be honest.

this on the other hand is still a mystery to me..

that 'hollow' sort of sound, or whatever you want to call it. no idea what he's using for that.

that's more or less what the 3rd channel on the VH4 sounds like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8HtttC8lPW8#t=1907s

that's a perfect example of channel 3 on the VH4. I don't think he's using any additional effects to be honest.

this on the other hand is still a mystery to me..

that 'hollow' sort of sound, or whatever you want to call it. no idea what he's using for that.

Just bought myself a nice modelling amp with a diezel simulator! I gather that it's meant to be based on channel 2 and 4 of the vh4. I know that the jump from channel 2 to 4 on the diezel is more or less the same idea as going from rhythm to lead channel on a peavey 6505 but is there honestly much of a difference between channels 3 and 4? trying to get a similar sound and I read once that there was a photo of matts amp settings from the absolution tour where can I find this?

I think that hollow sound from ss he's using a wah pedal stuck half way or at least that was what he used on the recording?

Archived