Help making websites

Neil.

Hello folks,

I'm currently getting some stuff together to make 2 little websites. Both will be VERY simple (one even simpler than the other), but I need a bit of help with them. I'm planning on using this opportunity to possibly learn Dreamweaver, unless there's an easier way to do it. Before I go and register for webspace etc, I'm going to try to get the bulk of the work done, or at the very least, a decent "under construction" type setup, although personally, I think they look a bit half-assed, even the good ones.

I'll give you guys a little idea of what the 2 sites are going to be, and then if anyone has any good ideas on where to start/what to look for etc etc, that would be ace. :)

-

Website 1: Musician/Artist Page

Ok this one is probably the simpler of the two. I'm just looking to have a background image that will automatically stretch/resize to the viewers browser (eg: http://www.stereomood.com/) with a single small logo image in the centre, and just underneath it, a soundcloud player. That's it. I'll be able to do any other updates to that one myself.

-

Website 2: Architectural Portfolio/CV type page

This one is a little trickier. I want to be able to do the same auto-resizing background as the above one, but it'll be different on each page. What I would ideally like is some sort of pop-out menu on the right, with links to various projects I've worked on. Each project page will just have a 3x3 grid of images in the middle that when you click them, they'll enlarge and show a little overlay of text on what the project/image is about. I suspect that'll need to be done in something fancy like flash or whatever, but I haven't a clue where to start with that. If any of you are familiar with the older versions of Olly's site, something similar to that.

-

That's basically it. I'll probably start with the 1st one, and do the 2nd one over the next few months. I really don't need it till about May.

So, 1. How difficult is it to do those? 2. Where do I start?

Archived