buying guitars from the usa/info on additional fees

EARTHWORM JIM

as a lot of people here and across the pond in america buy from different countries i was wondering if anyone could help with the additional fees? i love old kay and harmony guitars but a big percentage seem to be in the usa and i'm having little luck finding anything over here in the uk that's in relatively good condition but i have no idea what additional cost i may face so anyone who has brought from abroad your help would be greatly appreciated! also if anyone knows any good shops or sites in the uk for vintage kay, harmony, hofner or hagstrom guitars then let me know. thanks :)

it depends on a few things, but sometimes you don't get charged at all. shipping will probably be pricey though... at least £50 more than what it would cost sending inside the UK

as far as customs charges and all that, i think that depends on what the item is worth. not sure if the size and weight of the box matters though.

and also the service used. USPS/royal fail hasn't charged me anything (so far) but fedex and UPS always has.

Can dealers ship to other dealers between the US and UK at a lower rate? It's one possibility.

Also, be very careful buying Harmony and Kay guitars sight unseen. They are in vogue right now but they were not well made and their necks and electronics often need a lot of work.

JT

Archived