No he got banned!!!

judgerudge123

What I don't understand is why labels don't look into some licensing thing for covers. People like hearing them and there has to be a way of generating some revenue from them through sites like Youtube. Getting covers removed achieves nothing.

+1 :indiff:

I don't have anything against people doing covers, but why are you guys watching people play them online? What could you get out of that over watching the originals online? Unless someone's doing something really different, I just don't see the point.

(no offence to people who upload the covers, i'm just wondering what it is people get out of it?)

Personally, I find them handy for learning songs. Decent acoustic covers/covers with a muted backing track have far less distractions (vocals, distortion, etc.) than studio tracks, and thus are really helpful for picking up on rhythm, melodies, bla bla that might be difficult to interpret from tabs.

... Though sometimes it's just nice to hear a fresh take on a particular song.

I think if you're doing something different with the song that's fine. Also, you're right, it must be a great learning aid. I spent years watching my teacher play other people's songs and learning them.

I have to say a lot of covers i've seen on youtube tend to have a backing track which is in the background of the mix, and generally distorted.

Archived