The brouhaha that started it all...

Hi there, fellow Muse fans and patriots,

I was motivated to start this after what happened after I dared announce the existence of a New Jersey social group in the Banter forum: the quickly-closed "'Jersey Mafia" announcement of 9/22/09 in Banter (no link possible, as the thread was locked); the USA International forum thread (p. 142) for a parallel announcement and reaction to events.

I'm confident that in short order, most users of the USA de-facto banter thread in International will welcome the proposed expansion of US threads in that forum, and/or equal access to the Banter forum. Support for the former proposal has already picked up some momentum, and musemom contacted moderator Kev to get our permission to establish geographically-inspired threads in International, to be grouped in a USA subforum (see p. 143 of the thread). This was Kev's response: [TBC due to length]

Kev said that really, the Social Groups route is really the only feasible way to create any sort of region/state specific network. It seems to me that those groups are rarely visited, though. I think people forget about them, and they're not as easy to access as threads.

musemom's absolutely right, and the moderator's response is unacceptable. If Kev wasn't so clueless, he'd realize that by his own logic, U.K. Musers themselves wouldn't need more than a single Banter thread to serve their equivalent needs and could simply get by with their own social groups! (And I think that even he would have to see just how unworkable and unacceptable that would be.) [TBC...]

Have the mods ever seriously contemplated just how impractical and virtually impossible it is for foreign nationals to strike up local friendships, coordinate activities, and even just banter with each other in a single omnibus thread... and how the unwieldiness of this arrangement hinders the flourishing of international communities of Muse fans?

The mods don't even tolerate our announcing the formation of our social groups in the Banter forum, which is crucial to the publicizing and growth of these networks. (Or would they permit our posting such announcements in the "Other Muse Matters" forum? I doubt it.) This whole system smacks of national double standards and, frankly, insensitivity to the needs of a rapidly growing population of overseas Muse fans!

Stephanie

Trilateral_Symmetry_Com'n.