SuperMassiveBlackHole

paranoiawilldestroy

Alright dudes? Showbiz, the album, was a detailed study of an individual response to capitalist structure in a microcosm.

Namely, that working class people are anathema to the creative soul. Your family will try to redirect you, schools will teach you to prefer to sit like a battery chicken in a call centre. And you're only ever as tall as your best friends. I've read studies about why working class people gravitate towards working class jobs.

Sunburn was about family, for example. Someone was burning Bellamy's horizons, because he wanted to please. If you have an imagination, you begin, quite naturally to question if your social situation is wrong. This is the root of metal illness in the modern age... what else is anxiety except the product of a frustrated question, constantly spiralling out of control?

I have a wee story to tell. It involves an imagination fuelled by copious drug use (psychosis) and an interpretation of Origin of Symmetry and Absolution that occured to me whilst deep within that psychosis. Clearly, the boundaries between what was real and what was imagined were blurred at at point in my life... Though I still think the interpretation stumbled across a truth.

Bellamy went (possibly) through a similar experience to me, at some point in his life and equipped with manic self confidence unlocked his singing voice. Basically, equipped with mania he poured himself into the aforementioned endeavour... and through rigorous practice beasted that shit. I would suggest that anyone can sing, but someone with a trained musical ear, bloody stubborn mindedness and a powerful imagination would find that leap almost instinctive, if they could break away from the negation from their working class environment.

i.e.

I have no musical ear. Didn't even study music at school. Years after my breakdown I tried to come off my tablets. Didn't do much good for my psyche but... it got me interested in singing again. Coupled with my degree in Sociology (which revolves around the concept of social construction) and the interpretation that it was possible (evidenced by Origin and Absolution) I started experimenting. The above link is the result. Five years it took me and while I'm a long way away from pro I've still improved a fair bit.

Language is the very basis of thought. Try picturing something in your head without using words. Any success?

Returning to this idea of language, you now speak a different language from everyone else, if you have the bravery to follow. This (I would suggest) makes you potentially powerful, certainly if you break from the scriptures of the system that broke you in the first place.

I reckon Supermassive Black Hole is a tongue-in-cheek look at that original decision to seek out Showbiz. Bellamy can see that he is getting more distant from his original self, because of the effect of being in Showbiz for so long. And that, I would argue, is the reason for the decline in the quality of recent albums. I see that power that he had dwindling aand I wonder, does he too?

Resistance always starts from below. Did you know that the USA came very close to nukeing Vietnam? It did. Only popular dissent due to the civil rights movements of the 60s dissuaded the then administration of the USA from that reather horrible course of action. There are documents detailing the decison NOT to nuke Vietnam. I would suggest that the role of the truly imaginative in art is to nurture other imaginative artists so that more questions are asked. Not to pump cash into record executives' wallets.

Music is a vast record of every emotion ever felt. That is its power. Bellamy has the capacity to inspire a whole new generation of artists, but he is squandering that promise I think, by broadening the appeal of the Muse brand. I'm not saying this a conscious decision, just a matter of taking the wrong advice (for self-serving record industry pricks).

Go underground again Muse, please... Inspire us.

Edited by SgtDong