Suggestion: Theme Dependent Signatures

Si

I'd like to suggest a feature that most won't give two tosses about but which will be well regarded by a few.

Basically, to have the option to define a set of signatures that will show up depending on what theme the viewer is using. This way it will let those user conscious of colour schemes have the peace of mind that they will always fit in nicely.

I would imagine it to work in such a way that the default is to define a global signature and for those that really want to there is the option to define separate ones per theme or to have the option to use the global one.

In order to conserve some storage space it might even be worth being able to define styles for the different themes while keeping content intact (think CSS). The way this would work is that the user defines the content in the global signature entry and can use standard tags such as h1, h2, etc as well as a set of user styles, possibly just with tags such as [user1], [user2], etc. Each of these could then be define on a global or per theme basis (with the theme definition overriding the global one).

Another useful feature would be, for example, to define changeable content. That is, have a tag that gets replaced with content in the theme definition. This way pictures with different colour themes could be inserted in the correct location relative to text content.

hello it's a cool suggestion but the amount of modifications needed for it would far outweigh the benefits of it i'm afraid. i know it might not sound like a lot of work which it wouldn't be initially but the maintenance issues it would present would be a major annoyance and as you say it'd only be regarded by a few people which really wouldn't justify it.

the conditional content is more do-able but i can't really see where it'd be used, i'd imagine only a very small amount of users would be aware and understand it and still the syntax would probably have to be quite complicated and then finding a use for it would be very rare.

they sound cool ideas for advanced bb code features but i'd imagine them to be more a suggestion to vbulletin than a suggestion to our board because they'd work far better being a core part of the system rather than being plugged in and they might have a higher demand customer wide than we do here.

I knew you'd say that, but I had to share my idea anyway. It just bugs me that for all the time spent making a sig look good on whatever skin you're using, other users may find it to look horrible in their theme of choice. Ah well, it's not like I would ever care that much to really get bothered by it anyway.

Archived