Pickup Choice Thread

PwoperErased

Hi everyone,

I'm starting ordering parts to customise a Dean EVO XM I've had for a little while and just need a hand. I'm putting some Gotoh 510 machine heads on and I'm thinking of putting in an MBK3 for the Bridge pickup, and either a Seymour Duncan Hot P90 in the neck or a Bare Knuckle Mississipi Queen Nickel in the neck but I don't know which.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Hi everyone,

I'm starting ordering parts to customise a Dean EVO XM I've had for a little while and just need a hand. I'm putting some Gotoh 510 machine heads on and I'm thinking of putting in an MBK3 for the Bridge pickup, and either a Seymour Duncan Hot P90 in the neck or a Bare Knuckle Mississipi Queen Nickel in the neck but I don't know which.

Thoughts?

Cheers

tumblr_lnpwi205161qg0xks.jpg

But seriously,

What kind of sound are you looking for? And what amp do you use?

Hi everyone,

Thoughts?

Cheers

Well keep in mind that the hot P90 is a soap bar sized pickup, and the mississippi queen is a humbucker sized P90. I assume your guitar has humbucker sized pickups?

tumblr_lnpwi205161qg0xks.jpg

But seriously,

What kind of sound are you looking for? And what amp do you use?

I'm looking for a really nice , bassy growl from the bridge pickup and for the neck pickup, I would want it to have a really clear , nice clean sound that has some nice mids and for the neck when on distortion, I'd want a kind of punk-y , dirty kind of sound, but that does depend on the amp somewhat. I've got a Laney head and Hartke Cab, but I have a Spider III aswell somewhere which probably would give me a good tone. The only thing with the Line 6 , is having so many inbuilt effects in the amp can make the sound a bit processed I've found , which is why I stick to head and cab :p .

Well keep in mind that the hot P90 is a soap bar sized pickup, and the mississippi queen is a humbucker sized P90. I assume your guitar has humbucker sized pickups?

Yeah, at the moment I have two stock Dean humbuckers in there. They just don't give a deep bassy/punchy or growly tone or have what I'm trying to achieve out of the sound and aren't brilliant versatile , but the bridge dirty and clean setting can be alright :p.

Yeah, at the moment I have two stock Dean humbuckers in there. They just don't give a deep bassy/punchy or growly tone or have what I'm trying to achieve out of the sound and aren't brilliant versatile , but the bridge dirty and clean setting can be alright :p.

In that case, the hot P90 wouldn't be the right size for your guitar. But from what you described in that other post, it sounds like the MBK-3 and mississippi queen would be exactly what you're looking for.

You might also want to look at the MBK-1 neck pickup. The mississippi queen is an all around great sounding pickup both clean and distorted, but I think the MBK-1 is slightly better at cleans. Sounds a bit fuller I think. Not as cutting with distortion though.

Archived