Muse at the Bradley Center

Melania13

Just read this about Muse at the Bradley Center (duh) and thought it was pretty interesting perspective (radiohead, lol :rolleyes:)

:chuckle: anyways http://www.avclub.com/milwaukee/articles/muse-at-the-bradley-center,46086/

By Joel Shanahan

Ever since picking up Muse's 1999 debut, Showbiz, on a whim ten years ago, I've so badly wanted to cast them aside as an infuriating, arena-rock repackaging of Radiohead. I mean, it's easy to call shenanigans on vocalist-guitarist Matthew Bellamy when he drops into his falsetto Thom Yorke aping. So when I was asked to review the band's Wednesday show at the Bradley Center, I thought, "Muse is one of the most overrated bands in the world, but I'll do it." The first chorus of set-opener "Uprising" from 2009's The Resistance planted my foot firmly in my mouth.

It's true that the English trio fall under the umbrella of arena-rock grandiosity, and that they're probably only called "Muse" because most of the good continent names have already been taken. But damn it, sometimes arena-rock is fucking awesome. Muse is well known for having a batshit light show, and it proved no different last night as the threesome held their place on three obelisk-like platforms. Both above and below were pillars soaked with projections of live footage: eyes opening and closing; buildings with lit windows; and some kind of new age, outer-space screen saver. The epileptic nightmare continued with a sea of green lasers blasted into the crowd, and the constant strobing that worked its way into nearly every tune. The band's over-the-top lighting rig actually required that two lighting technicians do their jobs while hanging from the rafters.

Keeping stage banter to a simple "Hey Milwaukee," Bellamy—decked out in a shiny silver suit and what looked like shutter sunglasses—led the band through the far reaches of its discography. Bellamy jumped back and forth between a ferocious guitar for "Plug In, Baby," a glow-in-the-dark keytar for the Timbaland-sounding "Undisclosed Desire," and a light-up piano for the neo-classical Radiohead-worship of "Ruled By Secrecy." The band leader was in exquisite company with bassist Christopher Wolstenholme and drummer Dominic Howard hammering out concrete rhythms for Bellamy to walk on with ease. The trio also paid homage to some of its influences by playing random snippets of tunes like Deftones' "Headup," AC/DC's "Hell's Bells," and Nirvana's "Negative Creep." Somehow, they forget to throw in "Paranoid Android."

Muse slammed the door hard, finishing up its proper set with the infectious "Starlight" and "Plug In, Baby." During the latter, dozens of giant eyeball balloons loaded with red confetti were dropped onto the crowd as Bellamy bounced blinding beams from a spotlight off his guitar. Predictably, the band reemerged for a mighty encore in the metal-tinged epic "Knights Of Cydonia." Considering the shitty attitude I wore into the Bradley Center—expecting a batch of innocuous Radiohead-lite bullshit—Muse blew me over with its surprising depth, musicianship, and seizure-inducing light show. Don’t I feel stupid?

http://www.jsonline.com/entertainment/musicandnightlife/104495849.html

It wasn't until well into Muse's show Wednesday at the Bradley Center that drummer Dominic Howard addressed what has been a sensitive issue for the band's local legion: Until that night, the British trio hadn't played in Milwaukee for six years, despite several world tours during that time.

Not that the crowd expressed animosity. From the moment the night's first song - the guitar-spiked, power-to-the-people anthem "Uprising" - exploded in the room, all was forgiven. And for every moment of a 90-minute set that evoked space rock, heavy metal, classical flourishes, Queen-like theatricality and revolutionary themes, the band ensured its show was well worth the wait.

Frontman Matthew Bellamy, decked out in shining silver pants and jacket, acted as a fast, furious guitar god for songs such as the hard-charging "Stockholm Syndrome" and "Hysteria," then switched gears to become a thought-provoking, piano-playing prince for the sweeping social commentary of "United States of Eurasia" and "Ruled by Secrecy."

All night long, his theatrical voice commanded the elated crowd, lending urgency to calls of rebellion and defiance. Bassist Chris Wolstenholme played it cool, nonchalantly taking drags off a cigarette during "Undisclosed Desires" and whipping out a harmonica to lead the band through a haunting cover of Italian maestro Ennio Morricone's "The Man With the Harmonica" from filmmaker Sergio Leone's "Once Upon a Time in the West."

That segued into Morricone-influenced evening closer "Knights of Cydonia," the most grandiose and exciting song from an evening filled with them. Drummer Howard gave the songs their racing pulse, and the band's stunning stage show, centered around three massive pillars doubling as video monitors and stages, was a perfect visual complement to the epic sound.

It's been a while since Milwaukee saw Muse, but its opening act, Massachusetts' Passion Pit, is practically a local band, having played three area gigs since April.

Most Muse fans seemed too cool to dance Wednesday. Nevertheless, based on the energetic run-through of pretty, exuberant, synth-driven dance tracks such as "Sleepyhead," a lullaby for the club kids, Passion Pit is welcome back anytime.

Just read this about Muse at the Bradley Center (duh) and thought it was pretty interesting perspective (radiohead, lol :rolleyes:)

:chuckle: anyways http://www.avclub.com/milwaukee/articles/muse-at-the-bradley-center,46086/

By Joel Shanahan

Ever since picking up Muse's 1999 debut, Showbiz, on a whim ten years ago, I've so badly wanted to cast them aside as an infuriating, arena-rock repackaging of Radiohead. I mean, it's easy to call shenanigans on vocalist-guitarist Matthew Bellamy when he drops into his falsetto Thom Yorke aping. So when I was asked to review the band's Wednesday show at the Bradley Center, I thought, "Muse is one of the most overrated bands in the world, but I'll do it." The first chorus of set-opener "Uprising" from 2009's The Resistance planted my foot firmly in my mouth.

It's true that the English trio fall under the umbrella of arena-rock grandiosity, and that they're probably only called "Muse" because most of the good continent names have already been taken. But damn it, sometimes arena-rock is fucking awesome. Muse is well known for having a batshit light show, and it proved no different last night as the threesome held their place on three obelisk-like platforms. Both above and below were pillars soaked with projections of live footage: eyes opening and closing; buildings with lit windows; and some kind of new age, outer-space screen saver. The epileptic nightmare continued with a sea of green lasers blasted into the crowd, and the constant strobing that worked its way into nearly every tune. The band's over-the-top lighting rig actually required that two lighting technicians do their jobs while hanging from the rafters.

Keeping stage banter to a simple "Hey Milwaukee," Bellamy—decked out in a shiny silver suit and what looked like shutter sunglasses—led the band through the far reaches of its discography. Bellamy jumped back and forth between a ferocious guitar for "Plug In, Baby," a glow-in-the-dark keytar for the Timbaland-sounding "Undisclosed Desire," and a light-up piano for the neo-classical Radiohead-worship of "Ruled By Secrecy." The band leader was in exquisite company with bassist Christopher Wolstenholme and drummer Dominic Howard hammering out concrete rhythms for Bellamy to walk on with ease. The trio also paid homage to some of its influences by playing random snippets of tunes like Deftones' "Headup," AC/DC's "Hell's Bells," and Nirvana's "Negative Creep." Somehow, they forget to throw in "Paranoid Android."

Muse slammed the door hard, finishing up its proper set with the infectious "Starlight" and "Plug In, Baby." During the latter, dozens of giant eyeball balloons loaded with red confetti were dropped onto the crowd as Bellamy bounced blinding beams from a spotlight off his guitar. Predictably, the band reemerged for a mighty encore in the metal-tinged epic "Knights Of Cydonia." Considering the shitty attitude I wore into the Bradley Center—expecting a batch of innocuous Radiohead-lite bullshit—Muse blew me over with its surprising depth, musicianship, and seizure-inducing light show. Don’t I feel stupid?

Ahh a convert :D Isn't it nice when somebody sees the light... And the lasers. And balloons.

Archived