“Back To The Future” – Matt Bellamy On The Cover Of Australian Guitar Magazine, 2010

a-museing

Ok Sippe, here is the quote from him:

“Fans have been requesting it on message boards, but we weren’t physically capable of playing it earlier in the tour as the guitar part is pretty tricky for me to pull off when I’m singing,” admits Bellamy later. “We’ve been practicing and practicing in soundchecks to pull it off.”

Where does he say they could not play it in the rehearsals? He says they kept practising it.

Yup. He has said in interviews he is still nervous before gigs. That is btw what I've read from most live performing artists - actors in theater etc. He only mentioned he does not get sick anymore because of the adrenaline - I've never felt sick because of such pre-performance stress, have you?

Whatever, I've spent most of the night writing these stupid posts and I need to get some sleep.

It's very simple. He said that they had problems playing it, and that they practiced and practiced. Where do you expect that they actually had problem playing it if not when they were practicing it?

Let's make it even more simple for you. He said that they had problems playing it, and that they practiced and practiced, and this was the reason to why they didn't play it earlier in the tour, which must mean that they didn't succeed with it during the practice until later in the tour.

1+1=2

Did anyone else get the impression that Matt is trying to build a guitar so he can play Muscle Museum again? I don't know how the pedal he supposedly lost could relate to this 'rhythmic arpeggiator', but hope this is the case.

Muscle Museum doesn't use a "rhythmic arpeggiator", he only ever used a Whammy pedal in it (Which he has two of in his rack) and delay (Which he has devices for in his rack), so I don't think he was being accurate there either!

Yup. He has said in interviews he is still nervous before gigs. That is btw what I've read from most live performing artists - actors in theater etc. He only mentioned he does not get sick anymore because of the adrenaline - I've never felt sick because of such pre-performance stress, have you?

Whatever, I've spent most of the night writing these stupid posts and I need to get some sleep.

Yes I have. At the same time, every musician will tell you the hardest gigs are not the ones where you've sold out a venue to your crowd of however many, it's the ones in small pubs to 10 complete strangers and festivals where you don't fit in.

I've done theatre and I would indeed get very nervous before a preformance. However, once I stepped on stage it all went away. Same for my music exams, were I actually felt quite sick from nerves.

That he's nervous before gigs doesn't mean he's nervous during the gig.

I've done theatre and I would indeed get very nervous before a preformance. However, once I stepped on stage it all went away. Same for my music exams, were I actually felt quite sick from nerves.

That he's nervous before gigs doesn't mean he's nervous during the gig.

Which he has also said btw. That the nervousness passes as soon as he steps on stage.

Jup. And I also recall something about being more nervous about small gigs than the big ones.

when you look at interviews with most bands, that holds across the board, smaller gigs, you can see faces far clearer, bigger ones, its easier to imagine it as a collective mass

What ya saying!? Matt is a Rock God!!! :D

Actually seriously, just like the reviewer, I like it that Matt spontaneously releases his tensions through the music. :D

:eek: First three rows should wear raincoats then.

I'm surprised this conversation is still happening :/

And I'm surprised that you're surprised this conversation is still happening.

:D I can build up from that. I'm guessing that if he's not as confident on piano as on guitar he only plays FG because it's easy and rather repetitive. Even I can make an attempt at playing that :p

Oh no I didn't :awesome:

But I thought he knew how to play piano. :chuckle: has he been miming all these years? :LOL:

It might be because a fuck up on a piano is more noticeable than a fuck up on a guitar.

You whack a wrong chord on piano and it's a mega bum note but on the guitar you can quickly cover it up with a knee slide, crotch thrust and then point at the crowd.

But I thought he knew how to play piano. :chuckle: has he been miming all these years? :LOL:

It might be because a fuck up on a piano is more noticeable than a fuck up on a guitar.

You whack a wrong chord on piano and it's a mega bum note but on the guitar you can quickly cover it up with a knee slide, crotch thrust and then point at the crowd.

Oh yes but it's hard to fuck something up you've been playing so often :chuckle:

First rule of Jazz : If you make a mistake, repeat it, then everyone will think you meant it.

Then there's Thelonious Monk :chuckle::happy:

Oh yes but it's hard to fuck something up you've been playing so often :chuckle:

:erm: I dunno, I still fuck up my songs and they're simple as a meerkat advert.

First rule of Jazz : If you make a mistake, repeat it, then everyone will think you meant it.

I like that rule! :yesey:

Then there's Thelonious Monk :chuckle::happy:

I don't know what that means.:$

Like Les Dawson wrong or the kind of wrong that works even when technically it shouldn't?

i think he means the kind of wrong that works when it shouldn't. i've been learning about this recently.

but i don't really play jazz, so i can't really make mistakes :(

i think he means the kind of wrong that works when it shouldn't. i've been learning about this recently.

but i don't really play jazz, so i can't really make mistakes :(

Ahh gotcha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVb9e1DgKJ4

Works when it shouldn't.

I see what you mean. :happy:

Who was the composer that discovered you could create a note without playing it, just by hitting a load of other notes around it and causing a frequency anomaly?

:eek: First three rows should wear raincoats then.

:LOL:

Which he has also said btw. That the nervousness passes as soon as he steps on stage.

But they decide what they are going to play before going on stage. Hence possibly a reluctance to perform songs he's unsure about. Maybe he will one day break spontaneously into Collateral Damage and confuse everyone.

Archived