Line Hoppers at California Gigs

Citizen Sandy

I let my sister and her boyfriend join me in line because they ended up having to change plans at the last minute. My sister's boyfriend ended up having to go overtime at work because of a 911 call (he's a medic) and couldn't get off until 3PM, while I arrived at 1PM. He wasn't even supposed to be working that day either--they called him in that morning.

I suppose you all think I'm a dick now, lol.

I guess some people are just more sympathetic than others.

When it comes to ppl joining friends/family in line, it really depends on how you do it, who's around you, and what time you do it. For instance, I saved my friend a spot when muse came to Chicago bc he didn't get out of class and he had a midterm. I got there around noon - he came around 1:30. And the musers around us were cool with it. But if I see some drunk/obnoxious fuck joining up in the front right before the doors open, I'm gonna go off. That's disrespectful. Every situation is different and I understand once you make an exception, a hundred others will be made, but I think it's a matter of time and how you act.

When it comes to ppl joining friends/family in line, it really depends on how you do it, who's around you, and what time you do it. For instance, I saved my friend a spot when muse came to Chicago bc he didn't get out of class and he had a midterm. I got there around noon - he came around 1:30. And the musers around us were cool with it. But if I see some drunk/obnoxious fuck joining up in the front right before the doors open, I'm gonna go off. That's disrespectful. Every situation is different and I understand once you make an exception, a hundred others will be made, but I think it's a matter of time and how you act.

i agree. i would say the vast majority of people dont do it politely. they sort of aimlessly wonder towards the front of the line. or giggle and look around them as they are doing it..then it's uncool. like most things a few idiots ruin it for those who arent doing it to be assholes.

In Atlanta as soon as I got in line (at 9:00) the people in front of me informed me that they had friends meeting them after lunch. I smiled and made nice because I was going to be standing with these people for the next 14 hours. I didn't want the day to be miserable. The truth was, my heart sank when they told me they had a gaggle meeting them. The point of this story is that though people may not seem to mind, they probably do mind. If you're a nice person, you will smile and act ok because you don't want to be bitchy or cause a scene, but it always makes you sad when others hop in front, especially if you are on that threshold where you might get barrier but maybe not.

In Atlanta as soon as I got in line (at 9:00) the people in front of me informed me that they had friends meeting them after lunch. I smiled and made nice because I was going to be standing with these people for the next 14 hours. I didn't want the day to be miserable. The truth was, my heart sank when they told me they had a gaggle meeting them. The point of this story is that though people may not seem to mind, they probably do mind. If you're a nice person, you will smile and act ok because you don't want to be bitchy or cause a scene, but it always makes you sad when others hop in front, especially if you are on that threshold where you might get barrier but maybe not.

I can see your point.. a lot of people are very outspoken and have no problem saying they don't like people turning up later. Someone who's not so outspoken and is maybe a bit more shy might just smile and nod because they're a bit worried about causing a scene and having to stand with those people all day, as you said.

How many friends? If they have 10 people joining them in line, that's messed up. 1 or 2 people, that's different.

How many friends? If they have 10 people joining them in line, that's messed up. 1 or 2 people, that's different.

It's still a wee bit cheeky though, you have to admit. I can understand that people want their friends with them, but imagine if everyone brought in just 1 or 2 people. . .the system would go to pot.

:LOL: seriously. imagine like 20-30 people showing up. :rolleyes: that would be ridic.

Think someone tried to bring in quite a large number of friends at a gig in France and got scared off when they saw people being chucked out for queue jumping :chuckle:

I've never queued up way early for a concert (I've had seating for every non festival show ive been to, decided i wont be doing that anymore, for anyone, including muse) so, how are people with like getting back in line and stuff? Say its 3 people including me, we get there way early, say like 10 AM, I leave for like 15-20 minutes around 1 and grab food for us and come straight back, people usually cool with you getting back in? Or if I run to the restroom and have the other person(s) save the spot for me? People are usually cool about letting you there if you had your friend keep the spot huh?

I've never queued up way early for a concert (I've had seating for every non festival show ive been to, decided i wont be doing that anymore, for anyone, including muse) so, how are people with like getting back in line and stuff? Say its 3 people including me, we get there way early, say like 10 AM, I leave for like 15-20 minutes around 1 and grab food for us and come straight back, people usually cool with you getting back in? Or if I run to the restroom and have the other person(s) save the spot for me? People are usually cool about letting you there if you had your friend keep the spot huh?

That's generally fine, yeah - if people have seen you and know you've been there for a while, then there shouldn't be a problem. Just let them know that you're going off for a few minutes to use the bathroom/etc.

i dont think that is an issue. everyones gotta eat and pee, just let people around you know just so your friend doesnt get like....abused in your absence lol. or you both dont get yelled at.

It's still a wee bit cheeky though, you have to admit. I can understand that people want their friends with them, but imagine if everyone brought in just 1 or 2 people. . .the system would go to pot.

Think someone tried to bring in quite a large number of friends at a gig in France and got scared off when they saw people being chucked out for queue jumping :chuckle:

yeah i agree. eh. i wouldnt do it myself.

hahaha thats awesome.

I never found out because they handed out numbers. I think the numbers are great because they prevent queue jumping at the very front. The people who showed up super early really do get in first. :happy:

:LOL: seriously. imagine like 20-30 people showing up. :rolleyes: that would be ridic.

:yesey: That's exactly what I was thinking at the time. We got there, were 26 and 27 in line, and were really happy because we thought we'd get barrier. Then when we were told more people would be showing up later, we got worried that if everyone had a friend that we wouldn't be on the barrier at all. :supersad:

All of the musers I've stood in line next to have been awesome. If you let them know you are leaving for the bathroom or food, it's no problem at all.

Offer to buy people food and drinks too! Always helps :D

Works like a charm!

I never found out because they handed out numbers. I think the numbers are great because they prevent queue jumping at the very front. The people who showed up super early really do get in first. :happy:

:yesey: That's exactly what I was thinking at the time. We got there, were 26 and 27 in line, and were really happy because we thought we'd get barrier. Then when we were told more people would be showing up later, we got worried that if everyone had a friend that we wouldn't be on the barrier at all. :supersad:

All of the musers I've stood in line next to have been awesome. If you let them know you are leaving for the bathroom or food, it's no problem at all.

Works like a charm!

well hopefully you got it anyway!

I've mentioned this before but at the VA show in March I was the 3rd person in line, got there just after 9AM. Then at like noon 3 people came to join the guy who was first in line :( It made me sad but I didn't make an issue of it.... although, if someone else had, I wouldn't have minded :shifty:

Archived