Here is my account of the day having been at the barrier all day long...starting from the beginning here is my run down...

The Vaccines were a good opening act. I've never heard any of their work before but I enjoyed the set that they put on...The lead singer was pretty friendly and open to the crowd. The only member of the group that I thought could have gotten into it a bit more was the bassist, he was silently doing his thing. The music was upbeat and fun to tap along to but nothing too exciting. I'm going to look into some of their work.

Delta Spirit was by far my favorite of the afternoon, I felt that their music had the most soul. Matthew Vasquez (lead singer) reminded me of a mix between Tom Waits and Johnny Depp, deep raspy voice and quite charming in a whiskey-bingey sort of way. He really got the crowd worked up and into the music. The band played well off of one another and it was clearly visible that they were having a great time on stage. This is the one band I'm going to be keeping a close eye on because of how great they were.

Next was White Lies, my least favorite act of the day. Harry McVeigh(lead singer/guitarist) was far too pompous and irritating in his play style, it felt like he was trying to copy some of the moves that Delta Spirit capitalized upon, namely too many clap-alongs. For a three man group they were heavy 2 additional musicians which felt out of place. If I had to describe their sound I would place it closer to The Killers or Franz Ferdinand(both of which do it better) with a splash of neo-new wave, both sound and fashion :vomit: To me it all sounded samey and I wasn't able to get into it. I was more interested in the signing interpreters at the side of the stage who were grooving and dancing while signing. I felt they were more into it than the band was.

Last before Muse was A Perfect Circle. APC is a band that I had only known by name and had never actively sought out. The way in which the stage had been decorated in-between sets had piqued my interest. The intro was a spoken word piece that really got me interested as to what was to unfold. Next was a cover of John Lennon's Imagine which I felt was highly appropriate and very somber. The performance was dark and grave. Each member of the band performed in their own distinct trance, at times it looked as though each was a marionette puppet being pulled about the stage by some unknown and invisible force. APC is a group that I firmly believe needs to be experienced live. Their music is saturated in deep aural-bass that resonates deep all the way to one's heart. There were times I kept my eyes closed and let the music take hold. The music was umbral, infectious, and absolutely beautiful. To top it all off, many people in the crowd were partaking in cannabis, which gave me a bit of a contact high(I'm certain this helped me get into the music) :p APC was probably my other unexpected delightful surprise for the day, although I wouldn't want to listen to them on an everyday basis...far too brooding and performance is integral to the experience.

Lastly and the most fun for the evening was our beloved trio + Mr. Morgan Nicholls. The man does amazing work with the group, so kudos. The amount of energy that the crowd was emitting was amazing. Singing, dancing, rocking, swaying, swooning...you name it, someone was likely to be doing it...I was slightly irritated by the number of people who were traveling to-and-fro in-between the barrier. I was worried for a few brief moments that some nut would try to get up on stage with as many people that were crowding the area. Thankfully they cleared out after a couple of songs. As for the set-list: things started to get good with MotP leading into B&H, followed by my beloved Guiding Light, and then CE which I love for the ending (some of the most beautiful lyrics), yet when you're phasing from moment-to-moment it can be a bit of a stretch @ 7 mins :LOL: USoE is always welcome although I want Matt to play Collateral Damage with it, I feel it's not complete without it...SS was the only other delight for the evening as everything else was standard operating procedure, although it was still a blast. The best highlights were Matt tossing his guitar into Dom's kick drum at the end of SS, Matt telling the Audience that "We know you had options...and you picked the right one" this was especially empowering and an affirmation for my decisions that evening :ninja: and the moment they invited the crowd to turn around and savor the Chicago Skyline including Matt's quip about it looking like Gotham City :joker:

Lastly, kudos to the awesome security people that were working the stage all day, they were friendly and somewhat sociable.

This was my first outing at Lollapalooza and I loved every moment of it. Good job gentlemen it was a truly memorable and spectacular show. Good luck with the rest of your gigs this summer, be safe, and can't wait for your next album. <3

Here is my account of the day having been at the barrier all day long...starting from the beginning here is my run down...

Delta Spirit was by far my favorite of the afternoon, I felt that their music had the most soul. Matthew Vasquez (lead singer) reminded me of a mix between Tom Waits and Johnny Depp, deep raspy voice and quite charming in a whiskey-bingey sort of way. He really got the crowd worked up and into the music. The band played well off of one another and it was clearly visible that they were having a great time on stage. This is the one band I'm going to be keeping a close eye on because of how great they were.

Delta Spirit played on the same stage as Muse? Damn, so bummed I missed them. I heard them open for My Morning Jacket last week, and they rocked. They are really good

The Vaccines were a good opening act. I've never heard any of their work before but I enjoyed the set that they put on...The lead singer was pretty friendly and open to the crowd. The only member of the group that I thought could have gotten into it a bit more was the bassist, he was silently doing his thing. The music was upbeat and fun to tap along to but nothing too exciting. I'm going to look into some of their work.

Next was White Lies, my least favorite act of the day. Harry McVeigh(lead singer/guitarist) was far too pompous and irritating in his play style, it felt like he was trying to copy some of the moves that Delta Spirit capitalized upon, namely too many clap-alongs. For a three man group they were heavy 2 additional musicians which felt out of place. If I had to describe their sound I would place it closer to The Killers or Franz Ferdinand(both of which do it better) with a splash of neo-new wave, both sound and fashion :vomit: To me it all sounded samey and I wasn't able to get into it. I was more interested in the signing interpreters at the side of the stage who were grooving and dancing while signing. I felt they were more into it than the band was.

Last before Muse was A Perfect Circle. APC is a band that I had only known by name and had never actively sought out. The way in which the stage had been decorated in-between sets had piqued my interest. The intro was a spoken word piece that really got me interested as to what was to unfold. Next was a cover of John Lennon's Imagine which I felt was highly appropriate and very somber. The performance was dark and grave. Each member of the band performed in their own distinct trance, at times it looked as though each was a marionette puppet being pulled about the stage by some unknown and invisible force. APC is a group that I firmly believe needs to be experienced live. Their music is saturated in deep aural-bass that resonates deep all the way to one's heart. There were times I kept my eyes closed and let the music take hold. The music was umbral, infectious, and absolutely beautiful. To top it all off, many people in the crowd were partaking in cannabis, which gave me a bit of a contact high(I'm certain this helped me get into the music) :p APC was probably my other unexpected delightful surprise for the day, although I wouldn't want to listen to them on an everyday basis...far too brooding and performance is integral to the experience.

Lastly and the most fun for the evening was our beloved trio + Mr. Morgan Nicholls. The man does amazing work with the group, so kudos. The amount of energy that the crowd was emitting was amazing. Singing, dancing, rocking, swaying, swooning...you name it, someone was likely to be doing it...I was slightly irritated by the number of people who were traveling to-and-fro in-between the barrier. I was worried for a few brief moments that some nut would try to get up on stage with as many people that were crowding the area. Thankfully they cleared out after a couple of songs. As for the set-list: things started to get good with MotP leading into B&H, followed by my beloved Guiding Light, and then CE which I love for the ending (some of the most beautiful lyrics), yet when you're phasing from moment-to-moment it can be a bit of a stretch @ 7 mins :LOL: USoE is always welcome although I want Matt to play Collateral Damage with it, I feel it's not complete without it...SS was the only other delight for the evening as everything else was standard operating procedure, although it was still a blast. The best highlights were Matt tossing his guitar into Dom's kick drum at the end of SS, Matt telling the Audience that "We know you had options...and you picked the right one" this was especially empowering and an affirmation for my decisions that evening :ninja: and the moment they invited the crowd to turn around and savor the Chicago Skyline including Matt's quip about it looking like Gotham City :joker:

Lastly, kudos to the awesome security people that were working the stage all day, they were friendly and somewhat sociable.

This was my first outing at Lollapalooza and I loved every moment of it. Good job gentlemen it was a truly memorable and spectacular show. Good luck with the rest of your gigs this summer, be safe, and can't wait for your next album. <3

i never heard of APC and i now know why. i thought they were absolutely awful and boring to be honest. mini piano was the only good thing about it. i actually thought White Lies where good but im a big fan so biased there. i love their sound actually. and Delta Spirit was amazing as well so agree about them and the vaccines.

i never heard of APC and i now know why. i thought they were absolutely awful and boring to be honest. mini piano was the only good thing about it. i actually thought White Lies where good but im a big fan so biased there. i love their sound actually. and Delta Spirit was amazing as well so agree about them and the vaccines.

I thought otherwise. APC was amazing, White Lies were boring, and we agree that Delta Spirit was great. :)

Thank you, hunting s thompson, for the spot on review. :yesey:

I have a few more photo albums from Lolla that are non-Muse related, if anyone wants to check them out. Just click on a picture to go to that collection. I'll hide it behind a spoiler.

A Perfect Circle Photo Album

6023614745_474ff37851_z.jpg

The Joy Formidable Photo Album

6028456352_9ae66d31d0_z.jpg

Lollapalooza etc. album

6028072355_b6f8392834_z.jpg

I thought otherwise. APC was amazing, White Lies were boring, and we agree that Delta Spirit was great. :)

Thank you, hunting s thompson, for the spot on review. :yesey:

I have a few more photo albums from Lolla that are non-Muse related, if anyone wants to check them out. Just click on a picture to go to that collection. I'll hide it behind a spoiler.

A Perfect Circle Photo Album

6023614745_474ff37851_z.jpg

The Joy Formidable Photo Album

6028456352_9ae66d31d0_z.jpg

Lollapalooza etc. album

6028072355_b6f8392834_z.jpg

Jessica, those are some spectacular photos of The Joy Formidable. :thumbsup: I've been hearing rave reviews about them, and they really did impress me. I completely understand why Dave Grohl has been raving about them. I'm looking forward to seeing them open up for Foo Fighters in November. :dance:

I've been incredible lazy when it comes to uploading my photos from Lolla, but I did upload the ones of Matt chucking his guitar at Dom's kick drum. I think these are some of my favorite photos from the entire weekend. :LOL:

Link

Jessica, those are some spectacular photos of The Joy Formidable. :thumbsup: I've been hearing rave reviews about them, and they really did impress me. I completely understand why Dave Grohl has been raving about them. I'm looking forward to seeing them open up for Foo Fighters in November. :dance:

I've been incredible lazy when it comes to uploading my photos from Lolla, but I did upload the ones of Matt chucking his guitar at Dom's kick drum. I think these are some of my favorite photos from the entire weekend. :LOL:

Link

Thanks! And thank you for sharing your photos too. The Joy Formidable is my new favorite band. They blew me away at Lolla with their great performance. And they're very nice in person. I wish I could see them with the Foo Fighters. That sounds like it'll be one hell of a show! But I'll be seeing them at Outside Lands this weekend. I can't wait. I highly recommend them to everyone.

Thanks! And thank you for sharing your photos too. The Joy Formidable is my new favorite band. They blew me away at Lolla with their great performance. And they're very nice in person. I wish I could see them with the Foo Fighters. That sounds like it'll be one hell of a show! But I'll be seeing them at Outside Lands this weekend. I can't wait. I highly recommend them to everyone.

I was with SoapFan82 and boy were we impressed with JF's show.. 30 min was way too short. My hubby has been raving about them too and know I see why.. Hopefully I will get tix to see Foos/JF/SD for their show in DC. And they are one of my new fav bands too.. I would love to see them headline their own gig soon hopefully.

I pretty much agree, considering I'd never seen any of these bands live, I didn't know what to expect. The Vaccines, Delta Spirit, and White Lies were good. But I couldn't get in to APC, I tried but nothing about them drew me in to their music. :noey:

Awesome videos! :D (I can hear myself screaming in like, all of them :LOL:) This is the most awkward question, but what is your name? You were so close to me, I'm sure I was standing right near you :p But everyone's faces/real names/usernames are a giant blur in my brain at the moment :LOL:

The last one cuts off because I didn't realize I had pushed the button to stop recording as I was reaching for the drumstick. :(

The drumstickkkkk :'( (OMG no one get me started on that story again :LOL:) Kinda cool to see his 2 fleeting glances at my sign again :chuckle:I swear to god it felt so much longer in my head :chuckle:

Citizen Erased -

Burning Bridges riff -

Ending of Knights of Cydonia -

The last one cuts off because I didn't realize I had pushed the button to stop recording as I was reaching for the drumstick. :(

:awesome: I looooooove the Burning Bridges riff, I'm pretty sure I was super obnoxious when it came on. I turned to my friend who's not super familiar with Muse and I'm like "OHHHHH MY GOD IS THIS NOT THE CUTEST RIFF EVAR LASDKJGSDLKGAJSL!1!!!1" :$:LOL:

Wooow I haven't posted here yet so here is goes!

Was lined up with the crazies SUPER early - was fun :) It was all Muse fans for the longest time :LOL:

Had a major issue getting into the park, my wristband wouldn't scan, it was the most horrible moment!! But thankfully I had my amazing Muse mom Catherine save me the best stop EVER on barrier!

The Vaccines were as amazing as ever, I love them so much :happy:

I've never heard of Delta Spirit before and therefore wasn't familiar with their stuff but I enjoyed them.

White Lies were funfuckingtastic! One of my fav bands, and they played The Price Of Love!!! I completely flipped out and starting fangirl screaming all over the place :$ Catherine had to tell me to calm down :LOL: I just never thought I'd hear that song live :p

Had the security dude laughing at me even haha he came by after and asked if I knew all the words because I was singing ton every song :LOL:

I've heard of APC but never listened to them before. Well.... THEY BLEW ME AWAY! WOW!!! I really really REALLY loved them :happy:

and Muse.. what can I say... Best Muse gig yet for me and dare I say it best gig ever for me. They were incredible!! So much energy and Matt was so chatty :happy: and after every song he thanked the crowed and had the biggest smile on his face, it was lovely to see! We were on barrier directly in front of him (in the corner of the main section) and I couldn't take my eyes off him. He was so into it that night! Getting B&H again after Indy was an incredible surprise :) and CE... fuckmesideways... too bad we knew it was coming but it was so beautiful! I only got to hear the soundcheck at Indy (no vocals) before and thought I wouldn't get it (Until R/L anyway) so it was awesome :)

And I'm always happy with them when they play MotP so they can't really do wrong in my eyes :LOL:

Ducky (dead-duck) and I sang GL to each other over the two sections, it was pretty awesome ;)

To all those that chilled at barrier with me, I had a freaking blast!!!!! Musers are honestly the best <3

Awesome videos! :D (I can hear myself screaming in like, all of them :LOL:) This is the most awkward question, but what is your name? You were so close to me, I'm sure I was standing right near you :p But everyone's faces/real names/usernames are a giant blur in my brain at the moment :LOL:

:LOL: That's why I'm tagging everyone I can tag in my pics. If I haven't tagged you, it's because you haven't accepted my friend request and I can't tag you...or I don't recognize you. Feel free to tag yourself, though. ;)

Also...wow, I feel like the worst Muser. I saw "Burning Bridges" on that list and immediately thought "WHAT! Muse did a Foo cover and I didn't notice?" :facepalm: DUH, Burning Bridges =/= Bridge is Burning.

I can't believe it's been a week since we all met up. :supersad: I miss Chicago and being with Musers 24/7!

I'm jealous that you're going to Outside Lands. There are so many good bands playing. Hopefully you won't encounter any conflicts.

I was with SoapFan82 and boy were we impressed with JF's show.. 30 min was way too short. My hubby has been raving about them too and know I see why.. Hopefully I will get tix to see Foos/JF/SD for their show in DC. And they are one of my new fav bands too.. I would love to see them headline their own gig soon hopefully.

TJF was my festival find of the weekend. I was raving about them to everyone at the office today.

Thanks for sharing. You caught a lot of Matt showing off his bad ass attitude. :LOL:

I'm jealous that you're going to Outside Lands. There are so many good bands playing. Hopefully you won't encounter any conflicts.

The only conflict that I know people will kill me for even admitting to :ninja: so far is Arcade Fire and Deadmau5. But I am very excited for this festival! Love the park, love the atmosphere, and Saturday is stacked!

I'm getting so horribly impatient for a bootleg of this :LOL: We've established that someone's making one, right? Now the question is when it'll be up... the Post-Muse syndrome is setting in horribly, and youtube vids can only do so much. :LOL: It'll so be worth the wait once it's available :D

Can't believe that one week ago from right now, we were rocking out to Muse together. :( I'd give anything to bring that weekend back!!!! Hope you Lolla Musers at OSL right now are having an awesome time! :)

The only conflict that I know people will kill me for even admitting to :ninja: so far is Arcade Fire and Deadmau5. But I am very excited for this festival! Love the park, love the atmosphere, and Saturday is stacked!

Nah, Deadmau5 is great. I'd be seeing him myself.

wow... can't believe it's been a week... :stunned:

I need to write up a review but my mind is still too scrambled for it! I've been looking at my videos and pics, and don't have them ready to post either (cuz i'm bad lol)... so, what to say... CE was awesome.... singing GL across the gap to Irene/silverrose (to the amusement of the security guys) was amazing <3 .... matt stabbing the drums was funtimes.... and the pib dancing was amazing (please tell me someone got that whole song on video lol)

Ok, this post makes no sense... here, have a CE vid to add to the collection:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3nUmRilpO0

... and, for something completely different, here's Starlight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYzipctcNI4

I'll post something more coherent later ;)

Archived