Matt said in the Roundhouse the song was about ancient genetics. I do believe they overproduced the song to make it a bit silly with the backing chorus, if it was intentional or not, i don't know. Pity, because the guitar is really a killer in Survival.

It was intentional, trust me. And I'm actually starting to think they've had this approach for many songs on Drones, like Reapers or Revolt...

I love it when my iTunes makes a great Muse decision for me.

I just booted it up this morning - first song, at random, is New Born. Untick shuffle, listen to OoS in full for the first time in ages :happy:.

That always happens to me, it's awesome. Intro on shuffle led to Abso in full… so much more epic when you haven't heard the album in a while :awesome: Actual chills during RBS <3333

Is this news to anyone? Muse have literally laughed at their own music in the studio, and specifically said that many take them too seriously.

then y da hell we stil criticyze 'em??1!!2?

But seriously, I have a feeling that although Mutt Lange advised them to dumb the lyrics down, they decided to keep them for the sake of being self-consciously ridiculous or grotesque, bar Dead Inside, Mercy (yep, seems like they shamefully blew it in that perspective), The Handler, Aftermath and The Globalist.

That may be the idea that makes me still love Drones as a whole: a story supposedly told in the style of an overblown novel full of clichés that satyrises itself.

Obviously, this could be applied to previous songs like Uprising or Supremacy. And that's why - I have to admit - sometimes I evilly chuckle at the people who take the messages conveyed by this kind of songs as completely real and honest. They're simply fictional to me; bits of narration written from the point of view of an imaginary character. As I've already said, this kind of theory - if confirmed - could "absolve" almost all of their recent production, be it objectively naff or not.

I dunno. Matt's always talked about the album concept so sincerely, and about how he really cares about the subject matter.

If he's just saying that to fool fans and interviewers into taking the music more seriously... wouldn't that make it worse if his intent was really to be ridiculous and satirical?

He's openly admitted that Drones is a fictionalized account of his personal life, too.

I'm not saying every song is serious, or meant to be so (Survival obviously isn't,) but Matt promoted and talked about this album pre-release as if it were very serious in subject matter.

And while it's also not a concept that I believe he does a great job of getting across through the lyrics, it's also not one that I feel is good fodder for satire in the first place. I mean it's... a serious concept, and a real world problem that doesn't exactly have much humorous about it.

I don't know if I can say rediscovered, but I've been listenting to Butterflies and Hurricanes a lot more recently. It just is such a great piece.
I was just coming to post this somewhere
(Warning, loud)

God I hope Matt gets back into the piano soon, for more than just the occasional cheesy ballad. Especially since he used to write a lot of the melodies for the rock songs on the piano, and the fact that he says he hasn't really paid attention to the piano in recent years leads me to believe that this is not the case anymore. Obviously just speculation but I do think it has affected their material.

I guess I'm immune to Muse songs sounding like other songs at this point since it's so prevalent.

Probably helps that I barely listen to music.

I remember that big Sam Smith song really angering me for that reason though. :chuckle:

I do really like Revolt, so it's a damn shame about those chorus lyrics.

Like I said, though, I make it work by looking at them cynically, as the first song of the album. :chuckle:

I guess I'm immune to Muse songs sounding like other songs at this point since it's so prevalent.

Probably helps that I barely listen to music.

I remember that big Sam Smith song really angering me for that reason though. :chuckle:

I do really like Revolt, so it's a damn shame about those chorus lyrics.

Like I said, though, I make it work by looking at them cynically, as the first song of the album. :chuckle:

As a pop/rock song by itself, Revolt isn't bad at all and displays interesting choices concerning sound effects (like the police sirens accelerated and turned into a pulsating, rhythmical synth). Also, the idea of increasing and decreasing in tempo between choruses and verses is... quite "funny", I'd say.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...