I have no idea what the lyrics even are, but I still don't think there's any way that statement could be false.

I believe Execution Commentary's lyrics are about the struggle of those born in East Anglia who then fuck of to live somewhere else.

Wasn't Dead Inside supposed to be the Bond song :LOL:

Huh?

Anyway regarding Survival, I like Muse more when they're trying to be dead-serious. They're very good at being a parody-band, but that's not exactly something I look for in music.

I absolutely agree I like serious Muse better. Not to say there hasn't been some light-hearted stuff I enjoy, but when they go full ott, it seems like it's too far, and it doesn't suit them.

Self-parody is a very apt description.

Heh, I assume it could be due to their often operatic approach: dead-pan serious, or overblowingly grand or silly.

Heh, I assume it could be due to their often operatic approach: dead-pan serious, or overblowingly grand or silly.

They can do both, or a middle ground.

They've got songs I'd classify as overblown or ott that have a more serious tone, and I don't think they need to be deadly serious or anything.

Just... something like Survival felt like a bit of a joke when I first heard it, and like was said, that's not what I'm looking for in music.

I'm still a bit concerned that Matt didn't understand, and was upset by, all the flack and mocking the song received. I mean, the song FELT like a bit of a joke... (and ended up representing a serious event...)

It's sad, because it wouldn't have taken much altering to actually make it a magnificent song.

They can do both, or a middle ground.

They've got songs I'd classify as overblown or ott that have a more serious tone, and I don't think they need to be deadly serious or anything.

Just... something like Survival felt like a bit of a joke when I first heard it, and like was said, that's not what I'm looking for in music.

I'm still a bit concerned that Matt didn't understand, and was upset by, all the flack and mocking the song received. I mean, the song FELT like a bit of a joke... (and ended up representing a serious event...)

It's sad, because it wouldn't have taken much altering to actually make it a magnificent song.

There was an interview in which Dom talked a bit about it as a sort of joke, in fact. If I recall correctly, the song was, from his point of view, reminiscing of the times gladiators fought with spiked balls and such...

And they've transposed this idea to the modern olympics, somehow.

There was an interview in which Dom talked a bit about it as a sort of joke, in fact. If I recall correctly, the song was, from his point of view, reminiscing of the times gladiators fought with spiked balls and such...

And they've transposed this idea to the modern olympics, somehow.

I'm pretty sure I recall Matt stating the song wasn't even written for the Olympics in the first place, but was just a song for T2L; they'd been working with an undisclosed artist on an Olympic song, but it fell through, and then when the Olympics still wanted a song, they gave them that one.

I recall Matt saying something like "... I was as surprised as you are that they used that song."

I think all the comments tying the song to the Olympics were injokes on the band's part, in that context.

I would buy them saying the song's a joke, though. :chuckle:

Tbf I do like the idea it was satirical, and with lyrics that looked so on the nose about sport that they could only be about something else. Or at least something else in Matt's eyes. I just like it as its got a great massive riff and its fun to shout along to.

Wasn't Dead Inside supposed to be the Bond song :LOL:

Where on Earth did you hear that?

I'm pretty sure I recall Matt stating the song wasn't even written for the Olympics in the first place, but was just a song for T2L; they'd been working with an undisclosed artist on an Olympic song, but it fell through, and then when the Olympics still wanted a song, they gave them that one.

I recall Matt saying something like "... I was as surprised as you are that they used that song."

I think all the comments tying the song to the Olympics were injokes on the band's part, in that context.

The artist they were supposed to work with was Elton John, apparently. :)

Matt said in the Roundhouse the song was about ancient genetics. I do believe they overproduced the song to make it a bit silly with the backing chorus, if it was intentional or not, i don't know. Pity, because the guitar is really a killer in Survival.

The artist they were supposed to work with was Elton John, apparently. :)

Yeah, i remember hearing a rumour about that. The piano bits on Survival sound very Elton Johnesque.

Could be wrong (could be wrong) but I think Matt said they were initially approached by Elton John to do something for London 2012 only for him to pull out.