HOLY COW!!! Look at this setlist, just 15 songs, but... WOW

0:00:11 1- Intro + Apocalypse Please

0:04:51 2- Hysteria

0:08:58 3- Assassin (Extended, Debase Masons Grog)

0:14:35 4- New Born

0:20:53 5- Crying Shame

0:23:55 6- Citizen Erased

0:32:20 7- Space Dementia

0:38:43 8- Butterflies & Hurricanes

0:44:30 9- Thoughts of a Dying Atheist

0:47:45 10- Exo-Politics (Burning Bandits)

0:52:46 11- Time is Running Out

0:56:53 12- Bliss (short)

1:00:43 13- Plug in Baby

1:05:43 14- The Small Print

1:09:17 15- Stockholm Syndrome

1:14:10 16- Micro Cuts (outro)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nz3QWfRP8Y

Sounds so good without the distortion mic he used a lot in the Abso era..

Could be clearer but really good find. Those early versions of Assassin and Crying Shame are great.

EDIT: The version of Exo-Politics on there is really good. Also, I'll add I heard the studio version for the first time in ages too. I'd forgotten that in spite of the original version having better lyrics, its actually really good - got a cool Franz Ferdinand-y groove.

Edited by forevermusic

Oh man, that 2005 was fucking amazing. I remember following it on here, the first tour I kind of followed through .mu off the back of the high that was Earls Court.

Those versions of Assassin, Crying Shame and even Exo-Politics make me sad for what they could have ended up being had they not all been neutered in the studio, although I always did despise Exo in all its forms, even that original one (Pee Candle anyone? :LOL:).

EDIT: omg, Matt's tone on Hysteria, it actually sounds like a guitar :'(. Bring back original Bomber.

EDIT 2: and that piano tone on New Born.

EDIT 3: and Crying Shame actually sounds heavy.

Edited by Clunge

It's not actually the riffs that make it for me, it's Dom's super forceful drumming. Same in the verses as well. It's such a shame they toned it down to some weedy indie/lite version in the studio.

I have such a love/hate thing with Rich Costey and what he did with Muse. He got certain songs spot on, but some of his input on BH&R was all over the place. I mean, look what happened to Assassin (completely butchered) and Exo-Politics (it was meh beforehand but it got 100x worse in the studio).

Matt's vocals are also miiiiiiiles better on the early version of Crying Shame, particularly during the chorus and dat outro.

Also Matt trailing off the 'now it's a cry...' just as the riff kicks in is bloody perf.

Assassin (completely butchered)

:stunned:

I mean, I love Debase as much as the next guy but

...:stunned:

Que?

Assassin (in its final studio form) is a shadow of what Debase was. They made some amends with the GOB edit, but it's still not a patch on Debase.

I find it super hard to choose between them tbh, genuinely love 'em both for different reasons. Debase's unique, dark and primal vibe vs. Assassin's out-and-out heaviness.

With the studio version's distorted barbershop backing vocals, I think Debase would've probably been the better choice for the album. Hard to beat the sheer facemelting b33f and energy of normal Assassin live though.

Assassin isn't really that heavy on the album, sadly. Kinda like Unsustainable, they ruined it in production.

But yes, debase is miles better than the final version. The vocals, the vocal effects, the drums (ofc the studio drums are cool too, but the song becomes totally different)

Also, early Crying Shame had a better riff, better vocals and "better" key with a very dark feel to it. The studio riff is just so cartoony.

On a different topic, how does everyone feel about Darkshines? Listened to it again last night for the first time in a while and it's up there with the best on OOS. The drums in the chorus, Matt's screams in the chorus, the contrasting guitar tones and vibes throughout the song. And the guitar solos are pretty neat. I don't think it's generally considered a favourite by many though. Maybe it's because it's followed by Feeling Good which just drags down that segment of the album?

Edited by Tim59

On the topic of assassin, the doubled lead vocals in the chorus of the studio version sound brilliant, but debase has much more :srsb33f:

On a different topic, how does everyone feel about Dark Shines?

It's one of my favourite songs on the album. Especially for the dodgy trumpet synth effect on the guitar during the solos.

Maybe I'm in the minority but the screaming has always been one of the few things that puts me off Dark Shines tbh. I think it just oversteps the line into being too abrasive and starts to feel a bit excessive by the last chorus. Seeing it without all that at Leeds only cemented that and made the studio version even harder to go back to, for me. Best incarnation of that song hands down imo.

The verses and solos are some of my favourite the band have ever done though, musically and lyrically, and it's utter perfection live.

*insert obligatory mention of The Chord*

Edited by Jobby

*insert obligatory mention of The Chord*

:awesome:

For me Glorious was the only one of those 2004/5 songs which ended up sounding better on record. More annoyed about Crying Shame than Assassin given we eventually got GOB.

This is my favourite version (with best audio I could find). Particularly love the "wooh"s after the chorus.

[YT]

[/YT]

Yeah, different game live.

I think the studio Assassin is superficially heavy. It doesn't have any real grunt for me in the same way, say, the studio version of Dead Star does.

I don't think the studio version of Assassin is terrible, but I do agree with the idea of it being a superficially heavy song that suffers with over-production. The guitar track in Debase is a lot better.

Yeah, different game live.

I think the studio Assassin is superficially heavy. It doesn't have any real grunt for me in the same way, say, the studio version of Dead Star does.

Dead Star is smashing both as a studio and a live track, but it seems to me it has a slight lack of low frequencies, wideness and breath in the chorus of the studio version.

On a different topic, how does everyone feel about Dark Shines? Listened to it again last night for the first time in a while and it's up there with the best on OOS. The drums in the chorus, Matt's screams in the chorus, the contrasting guitar tones and vibes throughout the song. And the guitar solos are pretty neat. I don't think it's generally considered a favourite by many though. Maybe it's because it's followed by Feeling Good which just drags down that segment of the album?
I think it was overlooked by many since it's not one of the obvious highlights of the album, but people here seem to go through the same stages pretty much at the same time. Once someone gets a bit bored of CE and discovers the awesomeness of Darkshines, so does half of the board.

What I mean is basically that I love it. Especially the R/L and Hullabaloo versions.