Mounting Kaoss Pad in Guitar

bruce57

Okay so I have a black epiphone les paul that looks slightly like Matts MB-1. So naturally, I want to turn it into as close to an MB-1 as I can :p My plan is to buy a Kaoss Pad (either KP-1 or KP-2) and (along with my electronics whiz dad) mount a Kaoss Pad into my guitar following these intstructions. And yes, I DO have another guitar to play if i f*ck this up. So my questions are:

1. has anyone on the boards attempted this before?

2. If so, do you have any suggestions? :)

3. Is this a really bad idea ? :rolleyes:

Or you can just laugh and ridicule me for thinking i can do such a foolish thing. but I will do it! :D

1. i haven't

2. see above, but i should mention that there might not be nearly enough space on your guitar for one, since i'm guessing it has a tune o matic bridge. they even had to make the body shape of Matt's guitars longer and use a fender style bridge to fit the X-Y in.

3. if you can do it successfully, and find it useful, i suppose not.

3. Is this a really bad idea ? :rolleyes:

If you have any interest in using the Kaoss Pad to it's potential, then no. If it's just Matt B esque twatting about with "synth" patches, then yes, utter waste of time, money and equipment.

MIDI controllers in guitars does have the potential to do some incredible things and push the instrument into new areas and an evolution on what guitarists like Johnny Greenwood does with his guitar running through Max/MSP.

gaz's is a little black box about the size of a match box, manson's seems to be an open circuit board not too much smaller than the pad it's self. gaz tried the mb1 in mansons and seemed to think his was better! only problem i had with it was some clicking noise getting through into the guitar sound when touching the pad, hence the copper shielding.

2. Firstly, I'd advise you get the KP-2. This is the one Matt uses alot- the SMBH solo (the only reason everyone wants a MoC) uses simple presets from the KP-2

3. You aren't an idiot, if you are prepared to put a decent amount of energy and time (and money) into it. You also have to be sure you'll hang on to the guitar for a while. If you were building a MoC replica, it would probably have good resale value. But putting it in a Les Paul means you'll lose that- about the only people who'd want a guitar with a Kaoss are Musers, and if they can have a Les Paul or a MoC, they'll go for the MoC every time.

2. Firstly, I'd advise you get the KP-2. This is the one Matt uses alot- the SMBH solo (the only reason everyone wants a MoC) uses simple presets from the KP-2

3. You aren't an idiot, if you are prepared to put a decent amount of energy and time (and money) into it. You also have to be sure you'll hang on to the guitar for a while. If you were building a MoC replica, it would probably have good resale value. But putting it in a Les Paul means you'll lose that- about the only people who'd want a guitar with a Kaoss are Musers, and if they can have a Les Paul or a MoC, they'll go for the MoC every time.

2. fuzz factory/twisty kaoss pad. enough said.

3. tbf that tomassio guy or whatever he's called sold a load of guitars modded for X-Ys. i'd choose a modded les paul over a replica...we all know what can happen if you buy a guitar from someone who's not well known.

2. fuzz factory/twisty kaoss pad. enough said.

3. tbf that tomassio guy or whatever he's called sold a load of guitars modded for X-Ys. i'd choose a modded les paul over a replica...we all know what can happen if you buy a guitar from someone who's not well known.

2. No, I see what you mean. Just watched a vid of very cool sounds that I always thought were Kaoss Pad on a guitar with just internal fuzz, not even a sustainer

3. Yeah but you have an MB-1... (actually do you, you post on the MB-1 thread loads and I can never work out who actually has one :D)

2. No, I see what you mean. Just watched a vid of very cool sounds that I always thought were Kaoss Pad on a guitar with just internal fuzz, not even a sustainer

3. Yeah but you have an MB-1... (actually do you, you post on the MB-1 thread loads and I can never work out who actually has one :D)

2. no, i'm just saying that they also buy them so they can plug in baby. i'd say more are interested in the fuzz factory.

3. yes, but that's irrelevant. i'm saying that a modded epi LP would probably hold it's value (and be easier to sell) and a replica made by some guy you've never heard of. you could end up with a nice guitar, or you could end up with a shattocaster.

well then I think this is a good idea, because I am not a dabbler. I am fascinated by the pad and the fact that Matt uses it only makes it more interesting :)

But Matt's use of it can only be described as gimmicky at best. Far from interesting.

I don't think an XY pad is the way to go with built-in MIDI controllers in guitars, but I guess Muse fans aren't interesting in solutions to their own situations, just looking like Matt :)

But Matt's use of it can only be described as gimmicky at best. Far from interesting.

I don't think an XY pad is the way to go with built-in MIDI controllers in guitars, but I guess Muse fans aren't interesting in solutions to their own situations, just looking like Matt :)

+1

with the X-Y, you can't use the kaoss to its full potential. just the 10 or so synth settings. (or at least it appears that way). I plan on using mine for other things at some point.

I haven't really added anything unnecessary to my setup because someone else uses it. And the fact that trying to sound like someone else is pointless, since I'm always going to sound like myself.

tone is in the fingers .... riiight?

the kp2/xy stuff is cool for adjust delay time/levels and reverb levels on the fly. as well as tremolo speeds etc. the synth stuff is pointless.

it's a shame you can't utilise the sample function on the kp2 from the guitar, it would be good for creating loops and building upon them.

+1

with the X-Y, you can't use the kaoss to its full potential. just the 10 or so synth settings. (or at least it appears that way). I plan on using mine for other things at some point.

I haven't really added anything unnecessary to my setup because someone else uses it. And the fact that trying to sound like someone else is pointless, since I'm always going to sound like myself.

tone is in the fingers .... riiight?

+1!!

I recall David Gilmours guitar tech saying he was amazed at the amount of ppl believing that if they bought the same guitars amps effects as David( ppl kept asking him about the setup) they could achieve his tone but its in the fingers!

Its a delusion that afflicts so many guitarists (ive seen it with my own eyes as many of u have im sure) ppl constantly buy guitars used by others or buy fancy guitars costing thousands when they are still beginnerish or just shite thinking it will improve their playing.

I buy the effects coz I love the sound & not to sound like my guitar hero(s) altho I will admit if it wasnt for bellamy, cobain and greenwood I would never have discovered some of the amazing effects im lucky enough to own.

Im hoping to have my sustainer built in soon so I can explore more x,y options, the rotary switch makes it far easier as I can use two kp effects in a song and switch whammy channels quickly during a song giving more options(cant use kaoss and whammy at the same time tho with x y and rotary ofc) , ill upload some examples if i come up with anything really good :)

+1!!

I recall David Gilmours guitar tech saying he was amazed at the amount of ppl believing that if they bought the same guitars amps effects as David( ppl kept asking him about the setup) they could achieve his tone but its in the fingers!

Its a delusion that afflicts so many guitarists (ive seen it with my own eyes as many of u have im sure) ppl constantly buy guitars used by others or buy fancy guitars costing thousands when they are still beginnerish or just shite thinking it will improve their playing.

I buy the effects coz I love the sound & not to sound like my guitar hero(s) altho I will admit if it wasnt for bellamy, cobain and greenwood I would never have discovered some of the amazing effects im lucky enough to own.

Im hoping to have my sustainer built in soon so I can explore more x,y options, the rotary switch makes it far easier as I can use two kp effects in a song and switch whammy channels quickly during a song giving more options(cant use kaoss and whammy at the same time tho with x y and rotary ofc) , ill upload some examples if i come up with anything really good :)

Yeah, it's pretty crazy. I recall reading about someone else playing EVH's "magic" Marshall amp, yet they sounded nothing like him! Think that says it all really.

Tone might actually be in the fingers (although I'd hate to put it that way since it's such an overused phrase), as everyone has a different style of playing. How hard you hit the strings/pick attack, left hand, etc.

I admit some of my gear is influenced by others, but I do my own thing with them and not try to be a carbon copy. As I said, I'm going to use the kaoss in other ways for my own music as well :)

I agree mate, ive seen so many ppl play with the fretboard hand but do almost nothing with the strumming hand, both are so important, the x y pad is a great mod but like others have said using it for synths is almost pointless, its really handy being able to control effects from the guitar, I remember johnny greenwood on the kid A tour (and many since) constantly having to bend down to operate the kp2 and whammy (recall him using the treadle with his hand!) he should get an xy pad much easier :D

How you play has nothing to do with tone.

If you have the exact same gear and settings as someone else, you will be making the same sound, just doesn't mean you'll play the same. The whole "tone is in the fingers" is utter bollocks. For example a piano (Same goes for any acoustic instrument to be honest) will sound the same regardless of the quality of the player.

Anyway, why aren't people hooking up to a laptop instead of a Kaoss Pad, far more fun to be had there.

Archived