Songs to Get Someone Into Muse?

Burning_October

See, the thing about Starlight is is that it seems to attract a strange breed of Muse fans. Mostly girls who wear those tight white pants and are blonde. They think the synth is catchy and shit, and they dance and stuff. They think that 90% of Muse's other stuff is terrible. Ask them have them ever heard of Muscle Museum, or Space Dementia, and you will get a blank stare.

See, the thing about Starlight is is that it seems to attract a strange breed of Muse fans. Mostly girls who wear those tight white pants and are blonde. They think the synth is catchy and shit, and they dance and stuff. They think that 90% of Muse's other stuff is terrible. Ask them have them ever heard of Muscle Museum, or Space Dementia, and you will get a blank stare.

Well, actually Starlight got me into Muse and I'm not the above lol.

i heard hysteria on the radio back in 04 and had no idea who wrote it but i liked it

two years later a friend of mine used micro cuts in a flash cartoon he made and i was like "woah that was amazing what band is that"

he told me it was some song by muse and i was like ok

then he used butterflies and hurricanes in another cartoon and after listening to about 2 minutes of it i loved it

so then i checked all of the muse songs out and blah blah

so yeah i guess you could say micro cuts got me into muse

• 3 weeks later...

This is how i got hooked, I heard MotP, then a month later Hysteria, then i made the connection it was the same band and was like OMG GIVE ME MORE!!! But I have hooked 2 friends INSTANTLY by playing on my bass the Hysteria Intro..(took me like 2months to PERFECT btw), then playing the song...Oh, and multiple chicks with Blackout and Endlessly, always works I swear...

I was at my friend Bronwyn's place (she's fifty-something, btw) with her friend Tina. We started talking about Muse (somehow :rolleyes:) and I said I had some of their albums with me, so I put it on. She said she liked it because it "had guts" :D She was delighted when I offered to burn her copies :happy:

So, anyway, I reckon you should play starlight, everyone likes that song :D

And maybe Supermassive Black Hole and Bliss. And New Born (best riff EVER :D)

"Space Dementia" and "Micro Cuts."

SD got me the reaction "I heard SMBH on the radio, that was ok, but WOW..." MC got a "I've never heard anything like it!" Simply put, SMBH and Starlight are too "pop" to make Muse seem distinctive - they're good pop songs, but they don't make the listener stand up and think this band differs from most of what's out there. The best songs from the OOS period (and Absolution) do just that.

When you're trying to "convert" someone, you have to give them a quick, concise reason why the band you're promoting stands out. Don't play them all the "good" songs you can find, or the ones that sound like everyone else. That's counter-productive.

Play the goods, people!

I would say: Stockholm Syndrome, Citizen Erased, Darkshines, New Bron, Hysteria, Time Is Running Out, Cave, Knights Of Cydonia + Showbiz.

But if the person likes really mainstream stuff though: Starlight, Invincible (blurgh), Supermassive Black Hole, and maybe like Muscle Museum or something.

hm well when i got hooked on muse by a really good friend all she gave me was origin of symmetry and absolution, so i wasn't educated from the start or anything...

but i would suggest Time is Running Out, Hysteria, The Small Print and maybe Plug in Baby. and if they don't like muse, well they're missing out on the best band in the world!!!:LOL:

I recently played Muscle Museum and Bliss to a friend. She later requested I give her all of Muse's albums. I have so far given her Showbiz and OoS, and she loves them.

She's even started recognising the music on TV...

I was played Bliss back in the day, and that's what made me a lover of Muse

Archived