Songs to Get Someone Into Muse?

Burning_October

• 4 weeks later...

Well that really depends on what kind of music they like. I used things like Unintended and and Starlight to get my mom interested in them. Then I slowly started introducing her to other things, and finally turned her into a fan! I wouldn't have gone through all the trouble (trust me, it took a long time for her to finally start liking them) if they weren't going to be less than an hour away from us at Lollapalooza. Thank God, too, it was the best show ever!

I know this problem i've been trying to convert all my friends for some time now. I think songs like Starlight and The Groove are good to start on. There a little bit more like a regular pop/rock song but also a song like Hysteria i think would be good to start with.

hmm....need to show the different types of songs they can do....

Unintended

Blackout

Sing For Absolution

Butterflies and Hurricanes

Apocalypse Please

Ruled by Secrecy

Sunburn

Space Dementia

New Born

Citizen Erased

Micro Cuts

Bliss

Plug in Baby

Hysteria

Stockholm Syndrome

Showbiz

Knights of Cydonia

Take a Bow

hmm....need to show the different types of songs they can do....

Unintended

Blackout

Sing For Absolution

Butterflies and Hurricanes

Apocalypse Please

Ruled by Secrecy

Sunburn

Space Dementia

New Born

Citizen Erased

Micro Cuts

Bliss

Plug in Baby

Hysteria

Stockholm Syndrome

Showbiz

Knights of Cydonia

Take a Bow

Too many songs, you should go to perfect setlist thread

HAHAHA, this person sounds like a lost hope...

somebody i know saw muse live with mcr, and thought that muse didn't do "that great"

so i took a power drill and dug a nice erogation hole from his brain to his ears.

HahahaHAHA! I used to like MCR. Then I got a life....and a copy of BH&R :D

I'd say Plug In Baby is a must and Hysteria/Time Is Running Out also. They're mainstream without being stupidly mainstream. You always approach a new band through a couple of songs, often the catchy ones, and develop your obsession by getting deeper into their back catalogues/their less mainstream songs.

I don't want to sound sac religious because it's my favorite song of Muse at this point, but I think Stockholme Syndrome is one of the worst songs to play for someone when trying to get them into Muse. It's very chaotic and hard to follow initially. That's a song that grows on you to the point where you can't go a single day without listening to it.

Just speaking from personal experience, the song that got me into the band was City of Delusion... the acoustic guitar in the beginning is very easy to get into and the bass beat with the drums at the two minute mark is amazing.

Some other good ones might be Time Is Running Out, Map of the Problematique, Hysteria, and I even think Unintended could be nice if included with two other crazier songs.

I don't want to sound sac religious because it's my favorite song of Muse at this point, but I think Stockholme Syndrome is one of the worst songs to play for someone when trying to get them into Muse. It's very chaotic and hard to follow initially. That's a song that grows on you to the point where you can't go a single day without listening to it.

Chaotic and hard to follow? It's a very straightforward hard-rock song to me. Can you elabore on why do you think like that? I am curious.

Anyways, lots of people tend to offer more accessible and simpler stuff from Muse to other people. I don't really get this, it's not like Muse are overly complex overall, but one shouldn't fear of recommending more obscure songs for other people. Unless the people are musically backwards.

Chaotic and hard to follow? It's a very straightforward hard-rock song to me. Can you elabore on why do you think like that? I am curious.

I'd say because as soon as the lyrics come in, the drums do as well... when you're a new listener it's not easy to make distinctions between the two sounds (or appreciate them I should say) because you're not expecting each, respectively.

Not to mention the beginning of the song has a more "muffled" guitar sound to it in the very beginning, rather than the straight forward closing rift at the end... listening to the first 10 seconds and the last 10 seconds to see what I mean.

I didn't even want to say this because it's my favorite song, haha... but I'm just sharing what I thought of the song. The first time I heard the band my friend was playing the CD for me on Van Wick Expressway in New York City and it actually stuck out as one of the songs I didn't really care for... my how things change.

This is the reaction I got from a friend who found me on Myspace, where I have the video of "Space Dementia" on Autostart:

“Hey... LOVIN' that video!!!! Is that Muse? Why have I never heard that? LOVE IT! Heard the supermassive song on the radio, not bad... but now I'm totally going to check them out!

I've since let her hear the entire OoS album and Absolution, and she's hooked.

It depends... personally I got hooked on Knights (once the song actually kicked in. At first I thought aliens were invading my computer.) It was because it was so epic and different from everything I'd heard before. For classical types I'd say Butterflies and hurricanes (this song made Muse my favourite band), for R&B-ers Supermassive Black Hole, for pop/rock types Starlight, for slightly heavier rock Plug in Baby/New Born etc. Personally I wouldn't start with the stuff with really high falsetto like Micro Cuts. That song scared me...

Archived