New to Guitar, Please Help Me :D

tophersmith21

Hi I want to start learning to play the guitar specifically Muse songs but I have no idea where to start and I want to right away. I've got some chord books and I've watched some youtube videos of ppl doing guitar covers but im not really getting anywhere :( any advice for a newbie?

The first muse song I ever learned for the guitar was Time Is Running Out. The chords progression is really easy and you should easily be able to sing along.

Another easy, yet more tricky song by Muse is Knights Of Cydonia. I also enjoy playing Hysteria and Plug In Baby. The riffs may be a little hard to play at first, but with a little practice you'll be able to easily memorise them.

Have fun ;)

Option 1: Listen to a song you like. Look up the tabs. Learn to read tabs if you haven't yet. Play a vague interpretation of the song based on the tabs you looked up. Memorize that vague interpretation purely by muscle memory with no knowledge of the theory behind it. Don't bother with proper technique. Post a cover on youtube. Get ripped apart by K&Ters.

Better way: Get a guitar teacher, or take the time to learn proper theory and technique. :happy: It'll save you in the long run.

FYI my guitar experience more closely resembles #1. :LOL: It sucks. It works with drums though, I think. It would probably still be a good idea to learn some percussion theory / technique but I think drumming (especially rock drumming, lol) is forgiving in that respect.

hmmmm, maybe, but without lessons you can injure yourself, or just develop harmless techniques which restrict you from improving.

I wish I could afford drum lessons.

We've been talking about it on the bass messageboard. So many people think you can get away with learning the basics from a guitarist or from youtube or whatever - that's fine, but you might have shit technique for life, and in the worst cases this can injure you significantly.

EDIT: Obviously no-one NEEDS lessons, I know a couple of guys who've taught themselves very well, but they've been the types to look up proper technique, and learn theory etc.

True that.

I learnt basic techniques from a teacher, and that was good enough to avoid injuries. Though, I'll never be good at slapping unless I take lessons for that: you improve so much by getting lessons.

Bass techniques did help me when learning how to play guitar.

Archived