NewScientist plagiarises The Resistance/Exogenesis artwork

Niall

Nope something psychology related.

I've emailed NS inquiring about it.

I was gonna use my @muse.mu address and see what kind of official response they gave but I went with the hotmail one instead xD

Niall, if you don't get a reply, will you try again from your .mu addy?

It's just an image, does it affect or detract from anyone's genuine enjoyment of The Resistance or NewScientist? No.

God I hate fucking copyright trolls.

Maybe you'd have a point if they were selling the magazine solely on the artwork (therefore profiting from plagiarism) but they're not, so it's a complete non-issue.

It's just an image, does it affect or detract from anyone's genuine enjoyment of The Resistance or NewScientist? No.

God I hate fucking copyright trolls.

Maybe you'd have a point if they were selling the magazine solely on the artwork (therefore profiting from plagiarism) but they're not, so it's a complete non-issue.

Calm down, what's with the defensive attitude? How many people have talked about profits and copyrights and suing?

It was just pointed out for people's interest. Do not be so aggressive.

At current yes, but if the record label/Muse sue them for merely appropriating their artwork then I'd say it is fair that it would be nothing more than a cash grab.

How so? They would most likely donate it to Oxfam, or something else of the sort, like they did when Nescafé used Feeling Good in their advert without the band's consent.

It's not plagiarism, the images are different. It may be appropriating the style and idea but because it's not the same image and I'm sure they'll claim it's not intended to be the same image there's no grounds for suing, if indeed that's been mentioned.

It's the same as when TV shows want to invoke the imagery of a particular piece of music but can't afford to pay for the rights to the music...their own composers will come up with something that sounds similar but has enough differences to avoid lawsuits.

Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGMCiyXR2O0

Surely the image actually used for The Resistance artwork, all the promotion artwork such as on the wembley tickets, the booklet artwork, this on the New Scientist magazine, and the pic that Olly linked, could all have been comissioned by Muse, with them asking for something that could fit the theme of Exogenesis/1984, and then Muse use all the pieces they wanted, and the rest (such as the New Scientist piece and the other one Olly linked) would be available to anyone who wants to buy the rights to them? if you get what I mean?

edit: oh no wait, it was for wired magazine. Could still be la boca though...

Wired magazine has some amazing artwork :happy:

And it wasn't La Boca :p

I'll have a look who the artist is when I go to work on Weds.

It was a man called Jeff Huang, he has a portfolio here but this picture which he did for another publication may be of interest:

544771272392109.jpg

Wired magazine has some amazing artwork :happy:

And it wasn't La Boca :p

It was a man called Jeff Huang, he has a portfolio here but this picture which he did for another publication may be of interest:

544771272392109.jpg

But how do you know if it's original or not? Maybe he made this first and the exo artwork was made after his work rather than the other way round :p

Archived