Piano Thing

jrallen

Saying it's Matt banging on a piano is just ignorant. Whether you like the song or not, you should be able to appreciate the amount of effort that has gone in to the song to write it.

It dosn't sound like that much thought was given to the structure tbh, it's more of an improv.

Improv skill, sure, but as a piece it's not that well thought out or anything.

• 1 year later...
it clearly isnt beautiful!!! It sounds like a 2 year old banging around on a piano! If you want a good piano based muse tune, look no further than hoodoo!

Saying it's Matt banging on a piano is just ignorant. Whether you like the song or not, you should be able to appreciate the amount of effort that has gone in to the song to write it.

Exactly. It's a beautiful piece an quite complex an layered, that's evident enough if you listen to it, so to compare it to a 2 year old is indeed ignorant. I like the fact that it's improvised/unstructured, makes it more impressive in a way. We need more Muse piano songs, they've got more heart! (Apocalypse Please, Ruled By Secrecy, Space Dementia, Hoodoo, Sunburn etc!) The next album needs at least 2 piano tracks!

Exactly. It's a beautiful piece an quite complex an layered, that's evident enough if you listen to it, so to compare it to a 2 year old is indeed ignorant. I like the fact that it's improvised/unstructured, makes it more impressive in a way. We need more Muse piano songs, they've got more heart! (Apocalypse Please, Ruled By Secrecy, Space Dementia, Hoodoo, Sunburn etc!) The next album needs at least 2 piano tracks!

Maybe 2 grand pianos going at once?

Guest Lemon Tango
It's not a song!

It's quite good, though. There are too many arpeggios, but it isn't bad.

There are never too many arpeggios according to matt

He really likes arpeggios

really

really

really likes arpeggios

He should drop the arpeggi next album. It's dull and annoying now. I'll be happy if they do the next album without any arpeggi and piano is kept to a Hoodoo-like minumum.

Riffs and jams on Musewiki is only used for riffs and jams. Weird that. Piano Thing can be found under one of the songs pages.

He should drop the arpeggi next album. It's dull and annoying now. I'll be happy if they do the next album without any arpeggi and piano is kept to a Hoodoo-like minumum.

Riffs and jams on Musewiki is only used for riffs and jams. Weird that. Piano Thing can be found under one of the songs pages.

To hell with that! I want MORE arpeggios!

Bliss

Space Dementia

Screenager

Shine

Apocalypse Please

Stockholm Syndrome

Falling Away With You

Take A Bow

Starlight

Knights Of Cydonia

There's probably more. But it's old already. They all tend to have a very similar sound as well. For me it's refreshing to listen to Showbiz and not hear them in the background every few songs.

• 1 year later...

I love Piano Thing too. I think he does make some mistakes in it, but I still find it pretty cool to listen to. He's not a trained pianist, self taught I believe so I just love that he has that level of creativity and composes on the piano, and I like hearing him messing about on it, and I really love hearing him play the piano pieces in the songs.

Piano thing is nice. I find it interesting that Matt managed to write so many great songs and on top of that compose purely instrumental stuff like Piano thing or Bedroom Acoustics around 2001-2002. That is quite a feat.

Of course he makes some mistakes in it, but Matts musical and improvisational talent on the piano never had that much to do with precisely hitting the right notes;). Probably why he keeps on arpeggiating all the time (that word doesn't exist, right); it makes mistakes in a more complex musical piece less noticeable.

I think it's absolutely brilliant. As a piece of improvisation, it's amazing.

And I like that there are a few mistakes in there, makes it clear that it is an "organic" improv.

Having said that... sheet music, anyone? Please?

First off, i think it's some of Matts better piano work. I say this because Piano Thing was nothing more than improvisation. Most of these insults are coming from people who don't fully understand the way music works. Keep in mind, before you insult, that the song was made up on the fly. It wad not composed or written. It was simply played. Anyone should be commended for it. In this case, thank you Matthew Bellamy.

Archived