Chart Stats & Trivia

muse samuse

Sold out 2023 stadium gigs in France:  Saint Denis, Lyon and Bordeaux

200,000+ est. tickets sold so far for the 4 stadium shows in France compared with 225,000 for the 4 stadium gigs in France in 2019.  About 40,000+ attendees are anticipated for the stadium concert in Cologne and around 100,000 for the two stadium gigs in Italy.

350,000+ est. number of concert-goers for the 2022-23 shows (25 arenas, 3 stadia, and 4 theaters) in North America announced so far - More dates could be added.

MUSE like most rock artists obtain over 90% of their earnings from live music gigs and not record sales or streaming. Matt earns some from songwriting royalites as well.

Halloween is receiving airplay at a few Alternative radio stations in the USA and may enter the Top 40 chart in the coming weeks.

The top selling WOTP tracks on iTunes in the UK and the US are not suprisingly the first five singles followed by Ghosts, WAFF, and Verona. The least popular downloaded tracks are Euphoria and Liberation.

Fifth Week Album Chart Summary:

Will Of The People

#7 Belgium Wallonia

#8 Switzerland

#14 France (#9 Physiques)

#17 Netherlands

#17 Belgium Flanders

#17 Portugal

#27 UK (Album Sales) - Certified Silver by BPI

#28 Austria

#36 Spain (#18 Vinyl)

#37 Scotland

#60 Germany

#74 Italy

Edited by muse samuse

• 1 month later...

L'album Will Of The People de Muse est certifié Or en France - 50 000 équivalents ventes!

It has charted ten weeks and counting in the UK, France, Spain, Switzerland, and Belgium; nine weeks in Portugal; eight weeks in Austria and the Netherlands, seven weeks in Italy; and six weeks in Germany.

The ten songs on Will Of The People have just surpassed 100 million cumulative streams on Spotify, while Starlight and Psycho have just crossed the 300m and 200m thresholds respectively.

Single 'You Make Me Feel Like It's Halloween' peaked at #22 at US Alternative Airplay compiled by Billboard

Single 'Will Of The People' peaked at #23 at US Mainstream Rock Airplay compiled by Billboard  (#21 Mediabase)

Five singles from Will Of The People have charted on the UK Official Singles Sales chart compiled by OCC:

#11 Peak - Won't Stand Down

#45 Peak - Compliance

#96 Peak - Will Of The People

#81 Peak - Kill Or Be Killed

#3 Peak - You Make Me Feel Like It's Halloween  (Vinyl Single)

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder"-  Roman poet Sextus Empiricus  (Translated from Latin)

Edited by muse samuse
  • Like 1

Studio albums ranked by total streams on SPOTIFY for all tracks as of November 2022:

BHAR   1.073 billion

TR   900 million

T2L   635 million

ABSO   618 million

DRONES   540 million

OOS   430 million

ST   388 million

SHOWBIZ   200 million

WOTP   101 million

TOTAL   5 Billion+ (including streams for Hullabaloo songs and other non-album tracks such as NSC. b-sides and covers)

REVENUE:  $25 million+ assuming average rate of $0.005 per song streamed shared with record label, publisher, songwriter and performing artist

• Like 1

MUSE just received a 2023 GRAMMY nomination for Best Metal Performance for 'Kill Or Be Killed.'  Bravo!!

Other nominees in this category include Ozzy Osbourne, Megadeth, Ghost and Turnstile.

MTV EMAs:  After having been nominated 5 times previously for Best Rock, the band finally won the award at this year's ceremony in Germany.  They have also been nominated three times for Best Alternative, two of which they won in 2004 and 2006.

Will Of The People has now spent 12 weeks on the album sales charts in the UK, France, Switzerland and Belgium.

Edited by muse samuse
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ghosts (How Can I Move On) featuring Elisa debuted on the iTunes singles chart in Italy on 25 November. It is currently at #2 on the all-genre Top Songs tally behind only the latest single from Måneskin. The new version also reached as high as #79 at iTunes in France.  The lyric video has also received 200K+ views on YouTube during the first three days of release.

Matt: "We always thought this song would be perfect for a strong female voice. We're thrilled to have Elisa as the first of a series of future collaborations for our fans to hear."

Elisa:  "I had the opportunity and the luck to meet Muse in the early 2000s at an Italian festival we were both attending and it was incredible because I've always listened to them...Absolution is an album that left a deep mark on me. I listened to and listened to those songs until they became the soundtrack of an important period in my life. This is why I find this collaboration even more stimulating: for the beautiful intertwining of my personal history with them and the great artistic value of the band made up of exceptional performers. Matt Bellamy has an extraordinary talent, he brought rock into the mainstream with a very original mix (present since the first records), capable of mixing the classical music of the piano and the melodies of his voice with a super energetic rock that finds its greatest expression".

Edited by muse samuse

Ghosts (How Can I Move On) [feat. Elisa] has received over one million combined global audio and video streams on Spotify and YouTube  in its first two weeks of release and has stayed in the Top 10 Songs at iTunes in Italy during that span.  Although the collaboration ranked toward the top of the digital downloads chart, it did not enter the latest Top 100 Singoli tally compiled by FIMI in Italy because it did not receive enough streams on platforms such as Spotify and Deezer.  The duet also charted briefly on the Top 100 songs at iTunes in France, Spain, the Netherlands and Slovenia.

The highest charting MUSE songs in Italy have been Madness and Supermassive Black Hole which both peaked at #9.  The four best-selling and Platinum certified singles in the band's career in Italy are:  Time Is Running Out; Starlight; Uprising; and Madness.

Edited by muse samuse
  • Like 1

Will Of The People has spent 14 consecutive weeks on the album sales charts in the UK (#63), France (#65) and Belgium- Wallonia (#41).  It has sold 63K to date in France and close to 100K in the UK and 300K worldwide.

Ghosts (How Can I Move On) [feat. Elisa]

Chart Positions on 7 December

#1 Shazam - Italy

#136 Shazam - Switzerland

#142 Shazam - Worldwide

#8 iTunes - Italy

#97 YouTube - Italy (208K streams for week ending 1 December)

Edited by muse samuse
  • Like 1

On 11/25/2022 at 12:41 AM, Claudia O said:

I wonder which future collabs we‘re about to hear 🤔 hopefully diverse ones!

This December 9, 2022 at midnight, Muse will unveil an exclusive duet with Mylène Farmer. This is a version of the song "Ghosts (How Can I Move On)", the sublime track taken from the British group's latest album, "Will of the People". If the musical universes of the British rock band and the French singer seem rather distant, Mylène Farmer has never hidden her admiration for the trio led by Matthew Bellamy . She was also present at the Salle Pleyel on October 25 for the MUSE concert at that venue in Paris. Mylène Farmer did not hide her joy about this collaboration: “How not to give in to this invasive and powerful melancholy… Matthew Bellamy gave me this immense gift, to accompany him on this magnificent song.”  Her latest album "L'Emprise" debuted at #1 on the French charts selling 50K copies last week and both Farmer and MUSE will headline concerts at the Stade de France in 2023.

Edited by muse samuse
  • Like 1

Ghosts (How Can I Move On) - MUSE and Matt Bellamy [feat. Mylene Farmer]

Debut Peak Chart Positions

iTunes: Top Songs Digital Downloads 

#1 France  [#2 Rihanna; #3 Mariah Carey; #4 Madonna; and #5 Maneskin]

#1 Belgium 

#2 Switzerland 

#3 Luxembourg 

#4 Cyprus

#14 Czech Republic 

#23 Spain 

#81 Austria

#92 Mexico 

#99 Netherlands 

#128 Canada  [The version featuring Elisa was at #127]

#193 Germany

#210 United Kingdom  [#13 Alternative]

Deezer (Streaming):

#38 Philippines

#79 Romania

#93 Ukraine

YouTube:

Over 175K views of the lyric video on the first two days of release

Matt attended one of her 13 concerts in Paris at the Bercy Arena in January 2006 and praised her performance in a French interview later that year.  It inspired the band to stage HAARP at Wembley in 2007.

Edited by muse samuse

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats Argentina!  2022 World Cup Champions

9 Career MUSE Gigs in Argentina:

5,000 fans attended the first two gigs in Buenos Aires at the Gran Rex theatre in July 2008

Map of the Problematique was the first ever song played by the band in Argentina

3 shows supporting U2 in 2011 at a stadium in La Plata, the capital of Buenos Aires Province

3 additional shows including 1 festival date in Buenos Aires and 1 gig in Cordoba

Unconfirmed rumours of MUSE shows in Argentina and Brazil sometime in the 2nd half of 2023

Edited by muse samuse

Ghosts (How Can I Move On) - MUSE and Matt Bellamy

What common chord progression popular accross several genres of music does this piano ballad have in common with All Too Well by Taylor Swift which has received a 2023 Song of The Year Grammy nomination?  Also, how many songs has Matt composed in his discography using this so-called Axis of Awesome pop-punk and country-bro progression?  Answers below.

Streaming Stats Comparison as of 19 December

Original Version

5.6M streams on Spotify and 1.3M views on YouTube since its release in late August 2022

Featurng Elisa Version

Top 20 on the iTunes Italy digital songs chart for the first 3 1/2 weeks of release including the first ten days in the Top 10 peaking at #2

1.5 million  streams on Spotify and over 700K views on YouTube

She collaborated on the bonus track Birds with Imagine Dragons several years ago and has covered Wuthering Heights and Zombie at her shows. 

Featuring Mylene Farmer Version

#1 at iTunes France during its first three days of release and still in the Top 50 after its first ten days of release

#99 YouTube France with 250K views of the lyric video during its first week of release and over 350K worldwide

500K streams on Spotify and counting

She collaborated with Sting in 2015 on his song Stolen Car (Take Me Dancing) including a music video shot in Paris which reached #1 and with Moby on his song Slipping Way which also topped the singles chart in 2006. She is a fan of Kate Bush and Depeche Mode.

I - V - vi - IV

Ghosts (How Can I Move On)

B♭  F  Gm  E♭  (First Chorus)

C  G  Am  F  (Final Chorus)

Dead Inside

E♭  B♭  Cm  A♭

Map Of Your Head

A  E  F♯m  D

Revolt

G  D  Em  C

Other popular well-known songs with this same chord progression:

Let It Be - The Beatles

Beast of Burden - The Rolling Stones

With Or Without You - U2  (Throughout the song)

So Lonely - The Police  (Throughout the song)

Someone Like You - Adele  (Grammy Winning Performance)

All Too Well - Taylor Swift (Around 20 other songs with this same chord progression in her discography)

No One - Alicia Keys  (Grammy Winning Performance)

No Woman, No Cry - Bob Marley

Edge of Glory - Lady Gaga

Under the Bridge - RHCP

Take On Me - A-ha

Don't Stop Believin' - Journey

Down Under - Men At Work

Forever Young - Alphaville

When I Come Around - Green Day

Pork and Beans - Weezer

Letter to Elise - The Cure

Dammit - Blink-182  (Over 10 other songs with same chord progression or variation with a different sequence)

Demons - Imagine Dragons

Glycerine - Bush

Cryin' - Aerosmith

F**ckin' Perfect - P!nk

Hey, Soul Sister - Train

No Scrubs - TLC

I'm Yours - Jason Mraz

Cruise - Florida Georgia Line

To Know Him Is To Love Him - The Teddy Bears (1958)

And Many, Many Others...

Of the the variations with a different ordering of the above progression the most popular among songwriters is probably the so-called 'sensitive female' chord progression: 

vi -  IV - I - V 

Hello - Adele

One Of Us - Joan Osborne

Kids - MGMT

The Scientist - Coldplay

Despacito - Luis Fonsi

No Apologies - Timbaland and One Republic

Poker Face - Lady Gaga

If I Were A Boy - Beyonce

All Of Me - John Legend

Another common variation:

IV - I - V - vi 

Umbrella - Rihanna

Anti-Hero - Taylor Swift

Credits:  YouTubers David Bennett Piano and Piano and Pies for the chord progression source material

Edited by muse samuse
  • Like 1

MUSE are on track to sell 800K+ tickets for their 2023 WOTP World Tour for the gigs announced so far in North America and Europe.  The band also likely will have played in front of an estimated 1 million fans for their 27 festival dates in 2022 and 2023.

Hysteria becomes the sixth MUSE song to surpass 100 Million views on YouTube.

Top  5:  Uprising (247M); Madness (180M); Starlight (170M); Resistance (122M); and Undisclosed Desires (110m).

2.7 Billion Total Views on YouTube according to the Official MUSE artist channel as of December 2022.  

$7 Million Revenue from YT at blended avg of $0.0026 per video stream view in addition to the estimated $25-30 Million from over 5 Billion career streams on Spotify and a possible combined $10-20 Million from other streaming platforms like Apple Music, Amazon Music, TIDAL, and Deezer at a higher per stream rate than Spotify's.

WOTP 

Album tracks ranked by total combined audio and video streams on Spotify and YouTube as of December 2022:

1. WSD 50M

2. Compliance 25M

3. WOTP 19M

4. Halloween 15M

5. KOBK 14M

6. Ghosts 10M  - Original + Elisa + Mylene Farmer versions

7. Verona 8M

8.  WAFF 7M

9. Euphoria 7M

10. Liberation 5M

Edited by muse samuse
  • Thanks 1

Will Of The People

2022 Year-End Chart Performance

#15 Swiss Albums (Schweizer Hitparade)

#96 Netherlands Albums (Dutch charts)

http://swisscharts.com/charts/jahreshitparade/2022/alben

Weekly Chart Performance

#58 UK Official Albums Sales -18 consecutive weeks on chart and counting

#44 France Top Albums (#32 Physical Albums Sales) - 17 consecutive weeks on chart and counting

Spotify Streams

SMBH will cross the 400 million threshold this weekend while Uprising will join the 500 million club early in 2023

Edited by muse samuse

United Kingdom

Will Of The People

"Eight of the year’s Top 10 vinyl LPs were released in 2022, led by Taylor Swift’s Midnights, Harry’s House by Harry Styles and Arctic Monkeys’ The Car, which across the year achieved the three highest one-week sales for vinyl LPs this century. The vinyl Top 10 of the year also included 2022 albums by Liam Gallagher, The 1975, Wet Leg and Muse (Will Of The People)...Sales of cassettes, while still a very small part of the market overall, continued to grow in 2022, up 5.2% year-on-year to 195,000 units. The year’s top sellers included Dance Fever by Florence + The Machine, Muse’s Will Of The People and 23 by Central Cee."

Year-End Album Chart Positions - MUSE Discography

2022  #85  Will Of The People  (Includes streaming-equivalent album units and sales) - Top 20  Physical Album Sales 

2018  #77  Simulation Theory

2015  #30  Drones

2012  #32  The 2nd Law

2010  #54  The Resistance   #149 BHaR

2009  #25  The Resistance  #151 BHaR

2008  #161  HAARP  #165 BHaR

2007  #117  BHaR

2006  #26  Black Holes and Revelations  #197 Absolution

2005  #171  Absolution

2004  #82  Absolution

2003  #70  Absoluton

2001  #74  Origin of Symmetry  #179 Showbiz

Sources:  Official Charts Company and Music Week

Edited by muse samuse

FRANCE

Over 4 million estimated career album sales

Year-End Album Chart Positions (SNEP)

2022  #43 Will Of The People (Includes streaming album equivalent units + physical and digital sales - Likely ranked in the Top 20 on just pure album sales)

2019  #118 Simulation Theory

2018  #50 Simulation Theory

2016  #128 Drones

2015  #16 Drones

2014  #141 Live at Rome Olympic Stadium

2013  #52 Live at Rome Olympic Stadium

2012  #8 The 2nd Law

2010  #8 The Resistance

2009  #8 The Resistance

2008  #50 HAARP

2007  #96 Black Holes and Revelations

2006  #22 Black Holes and Revelations

2004  #124 Absolution

2003  #62  Absolution

2002  #150 Hullabaloo Soundtrack

2001  #57 Origin of Symmetry

UK Music Consumption 2022

National Album Equivalent Sales - 86% Streaming-Equivalent Albums and 12% Physical Sales and 2% Digital Sales

MUSE Album Equivalent Sales - 94% Physical Albums and 3% Digital Downloads and 3% Streaming-Equivalent (Est.)

Source:  BPI

MUSE at The Forum 

The April 2007 gig was the the trio's first sold-out arena concert in the United States with over 14,000 fans in attendance with an average ticket price of around $30.  The band played a total of 20 songs including 10 from BHaR, 5 from Abso, 4 from OoS, and 1 from Showbiz. Not on the setlist:  Exo-politics   The upcoming concert at this venue on Saturday will be the band's third radio station sponsored show at this venue.  They also played a gig there in 2019 with over 12,500 in attendance and grossing over $1 million. 

"For them to headline the Forum on their own is exceptional," says Gary Bongiovanni, editor in chief of Pollstar, which covers the concert business. "It obviously indicates huge popularity in Southern California." Bongiovanni compares Muse's success as a live draw in L.A. to Depeche Mode, whose KROQ-fueled popularity in the late '80s eventually led the group to a headline date at the Rose Bowl in 1988." - Los Angeles Times

With the four scheduled hows in Mexico this month it is expected total attendance at the 19 MUSE career arena and stadium shows in Mexico will surpass 500,000 putting Mexico in fifth place after the UK, the USA, France and Italy with the highest number of concert-goers ranked by country.  The band's first show in Mexico took place at the Sports Palace venue in Mexico City a few days after the Forum gig referenced above with over 18,000 in ticket sales.

Dystopian prediction on the Simulation Theory album cover a year before the pandemic and the difficult decisions facing the PRC on how to deal with the crisis while maintaining economic growth and stability?

三 難 困 境

Edited by muse samuse

• 2 weeks later...

2022 Year End Album Chart Performance

WOTP 

#32 Belgium-Wallonia

#176 Belgium-Flanders

MUSE have played shows in Brussels and Dutch speaking Flanders (Merksem/Antwerp and Werchter) but so far not a single gig in Wallonia (Charleroi and Liege being the two biggest cities in the southern French speaking region of Belgium). They have had several gigs however in Lille across the border in France.

The just announced concert in Nancy will be the band's seventh gig in the Grand-Est region of France (Strasbourg, Nancy, and Amneville) including Lorraine and the concert in Santander will be their first ever show in this port city in northern Spain.  It will also be the ninth different community/province/region in Spain where the  trio has performed:  Madrid; Catalonia; Basque Country; Andalusia; Valencia; Galicia;, Asturias, Balearic Islands; and Catabria. The photo shoot for the BHaR album cover took place at Bardenas Reales in a tenth province:  Navarre

Speaking of album covers, what Easter eggs related to MUSE can be found in two official music videos released last year by the following artists:

Metro Boomin  'Superhero (Heroes and Villains)'

Denzel Curry  'Walkin'

Answers follow at the bottom of the next post.

MUSE Box Office Stats Update

Top Stadium Venues Ranked By Est. Career Total Attendance (2007-2023)

Stade de France (Saint-Denis/Paris)  505,000+ at 7 shows as headliners

Wembley Stadium (London)  270,000+ at 4 shows

Foro Sol (Mexico City)  240,000+ at 5 shows

San Siro (Milan)  195,000+ at 4 shows

Stadio Olimpico (Rome)  160,000+ at 3 shows

Orange Velodrome (Marseille)  105,000+  at 2 shows

Emirates Stadium (London)  89,000+  at 2 shows

Etihad Stadium (Manchester)  84,000+  at 2 shows

Wankdorf/Stade de Suisse (Bern)  80,000+  at 2 shows

RheinEnergieStadion (Köln)  78,000+  at 2 shows

Matmut Atlantique (Bordeaux)  76,000+  at 2 shows

London Stadium (London)  73,000+  at 1 show

Stadio Olimpico Grande Torino (Turin)  63,000+  at 2 shows

Groupama (Lyon)  55,000+  at 1 show

Memorial Coliseum (Los Angeles)  52,000+ at 1 show  (L.A. Rising with RATM as co-headliners)

Metropolitano (Madrid)  51,000+  at 1 show

Old Trafford Cricket Ground (Manchester)  50,000+  at 1 show

Parc des Princes (Paris-Saint Germain)  48,000+  at 1 show

Luzhniki Stadium (Moscow)  46,000+  at 1 show

Stade Charles Ehrmann/Palais Nikaia (Nice)  43,000+  at 1 show

Estadio do Dragao (Porto)  41,000+  at 1 show

Vicente Calderon Stadium (Madrid)  39,000+  at 1 show

Lluis Companys Olympic Stadium (Barcelona)  33,000+  at 1 show

Johan Cruyff ArenA (Amsterdam)  33,000+  at 1 show

Album covers for Absolution and Black Holes & Revelations respectively featured in the above two referenced music videos

Edited by muse samuse