LP9: WOTP Discussion/Speculation Thread

Jobby

20 hours ago, Jobby said:

Oof, massively disagree. I mean, yeah, Matt’s not gonna touch what Jeff made with that guitar, we’re talking about one of the most talented artists of all time and an iconic record. Sadly, a lot of Matt’s nuance has been lost in effects, bombastic riffs and walls of noise over the years and Muse have always been rough around the edges in comparison to Jeff’s more silky smooth tendencies but Matt’s more than capable of capturing a hell of a lot of emotion and tenderness in his playing/singing if he lets himself.

I don't think Matt is incapable of expressing emotions in his music, but that doesn't constitute "soul", however subjective that term may be. He used to do anger pretty well, and a sense of alienation or angst. That certainly connected with me on an emotional level. But it's soul that made even Buckley's saddest songs have a hint of sexiness. He made his guitar sing. 

I'd say Falling Down is the song that comes closest to Matt successfully approximating that idea of soul. And I love the song, he almost pulls it off. I'd love it if using Buckley's guitar puts him back into a spot of trying to convey his emotions through good songwriting and honest three-piece playing. For me though, the question is if he can get close enough to his own emotions to do that, or if his current emotions are interesting enough to share, since his life and songwriting have gone a bit Hollywood. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 10/24/2020 at 10:30 AM, Silentgod86 said:

I'd imagine there might be some difficulty as Chris lives in the UK while Matt and Dom live in LA? This would presumably prevent the whole band jamming  together until March or April at least.

Judging by the party Matt was at the other week, I’m not sure how much of a personal barrier mixing is for them 😅

Matt’s wanting to make at least part of the record back home in Devon anyway, so it’s not like Chris would have to travel and isolate etc. Plus they have at least one show next year that they’ll need to rehearse for.

• Like 1

Plus they have at least one show next year that they’ll need to rehearse for.

I like the positivity. But the one show at a festival next summer.... seems less and less plausible. Unless you refer to another show?

----

Why should Chris be excluded? 

It is not that I think Chris is excluded, and please no! But for me I was worrying because there is nearly nothing that gives me the impression that Muse is working. I can only see Matt working with his projects. As much as I like that, it's just a bit disturbing to me.  I think in 2021, we will hear some new Muse material, just as they probably planned. Hopefully it's not based on Matt's solo projects.

I for one am looking forward to hearing what genre they'll half heartedly dabble in. The last four albums they kind of set out a theme but never fully committed to them. In fairness, there's only so far you can take the idea of an album based around the Stranger Things intro. Muse were always a band born out of 90s influences, that's the kind of retro they should have went for.

On 10/29/2020 at 5:30 PM, Meisver said:

Plus they have at least one show next year that they’ll need to rehearse for.

I like the positivity. But the one show at a festival next summer.... seems less and less plausible. Unless you refer to another show?

----

Why should Chris be excluded? 

It is not that I think Chris is excluded, and please no! But for me I was worrying because there is nearly nothing that gives me the impression that Muse is working. I can only see Matt working with his projects. As much as I like that, it's just a bit disturbing to me.  I think in 2021, we will hear some new Muse material, just as they probably planned. Hopefully it's not based on Matt's solo projects.

Whether or not it’ll actually happen (still not out of the question yet by any means, some countries have already recovered pretty well and others have had events going regardless), they’ve obviously still planned for it so they aim to be together.

Muse aren’t working atm, I’m confused why that would cause you to worry about specifically Chris’ future inclusion though :S They said all the way back in 2019 that they were gonna take this whole year off regardless and start the process for LP9 in 2021. Anyway, that likely means we won’t see the album until 2022 but who knows whether they might release a song or two before then. Matt’s already said his solo stuff this summer has no bearing at all on the next Muse record, that’s just what he makes when he’s alone, so I wouldn’t worry about that. It’s still so far out that I wouldn’t take any hints sound-wise as definite anyway.

Edited by Jobby

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2020 at 1:58 AM, Jobby said:

/

On 11/5/2020 at 1:58 AM, Jobby said:

Whether or not it’ll actually happen (still not out of the question yet by any means, some countries have already recovered pretty well and others have had events going regardless), they’ve obviously still planned for it so they aim to be together.

Muse aren’t working atm, I’m confused why that would cause you to worry about specifically Chris’ future inclusion though :S They said all the way back in 2019 that they were gonna take this whole year off regardless and start the process for LP9 in 2021. Anyway, that likely means we won’t see the album until 2022 but who knows whether they might release a song or two before then. Matt’s already said his solo stuff this summer has no bearing at all on the next Muse record, that’s just what he makes when he’s alone, so I wouldn’t worry about that. It’s still so far out that I wouldn’t take any hints sound-wise as definite anyway.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

I awaken from my almost 3 year hibernation (hope I didn't miss anything important) after hearing the only two words that can give me life: "New Muse". I missed these boards and look forward to seeing them come alive again, hopefully sooner rather than later. 

I know this interview is close to a year old but Matt mentioned a desired timeline of a new album at the end of 2021 and touring in 2022. I feel like this might be a bit optimistic, considering how chaotic last year was but, by golly, a guy can dream, can't he?

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/muse-matt-bellamy-interview-coronavirus-quarantine-999208/

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2021 at 1:19 AM, Claudia O said:

So are they really working on songs, beats, loops, riffs - or are they only teasing us :pope: 

One can only speculate and let me assure you, my imagination is running absolutely wild and unrestrained...

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ngl, expected to have heard some more rumblings by now. Hopes of a release by the end of this year are starting to fade a smidge to say the least. Wonder if they slowed things down even more when they saw there’d be even further delays to a proper live return.

If they’ve started working on it, I feel like this is the quietest start to recording we’ve ever seen...

Edited by Jobby

On 4/3/2021 at 7:25 PM, Jobby said:

Ngl, expected to have heard some more rumblings by now. Hopes of a release by the end of this year are starting to fade a smidge to say the least. Wonder if they slowed things down even more when they saw there’d be even further delays to a proper live return.

If they’ve started working on it, I feel like this is the quietest start to recording we’ve ever seen...

It seems like Matt has a tradition of posting a back-in-the-studio selfie to kick things off, which we may or may not have gotten with him fiddling on the piano. I'm holding out hope for an early 2022 release, to strike the perfect balance between optimistic and realistic.

• 2 weeks later...