LP9: WOTP Discussion/Speculation Thread

Jobby

9 minutes ago, Claudia O said:

Hm ... Muse twittered yesterday that tomowwow (which would be today) at 6p.m. BST it will air ... maybe they got the date wrong?

Ah was that yesterday? I’ve not slept for 2 days so maybe it’s all blurred into for me 😅 so hopefully details will come out v soon then? I think you need a paid Apple account to watch unfortunately, which I don’t

15 minutes ago, blubb0r said:

Origin of Symmetry Gigs? Count me in, no matter where, no matter how much.

Am I being a twat by saying but we’ve already had it :unsure:

If he means OOM then big YES but ehhh. Leave the R+L shows as is for just Origin, I’d rather see other albums get their first anniversary gig first. (blackholesblackholesblackholesblackholes)

Edited by Jobby

First: Yes, you are.

Then: Do Absolution first.

Yeah, but I assume he might think of an OOM Gig - and that would be freaking awesome as well.

Maybe just do a show with songs til OoS, mainly containing B-Sides and rarely played Showbiz stuff.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, blubb0r said:

First: Yes, you are.

Then: Do Absolution first.

Yeah, but I assume he might think of an OOM Gig - and that would be freaking awesome as well.

Maybe just do a show with songs til OoS, mainly containing B-Sides and rarely played Showbiz stuff.

I knowww and I’d get people who couldn’t go at the time or weren’t fans would wanna see it but it’d just seem kinda...trapped in the past. Like, they did an Origin anniversary in pretty much the best way possible, let’s all just move on.

I agree though tbh, I got the impression he was referring to OOM, most seem to assume it’s Origin because of the interviewer’s question and the article’s headline. Now thaaat would be what they call a different kettle of fish, mon ami. But y’know what? Honestly, hype aside (and I am bad for it), I don’t think either’ll happen. They’ll be in the middle of making a new album and, if it gets rearranged, they’ll have this other ‘secret’ show that could potentially involve a lot of rehearsing/arrangement if my theory is correct. Matt just saying he “wouldn’t be against it” is pretty inconsequential to say the least.

Also big nah to an Abso anniversary, fight me. My opinion of the album aside, catastrophic flow alone would kill so much of the novelty.

I will never understand this board's aversion to the 'flow' of Absolution. I'd put it on par with OOS as the best Muse album for flow. Showbiz doesn't really have a flow of any sort, and the rest are horrible. BH&R, T2L and ST are janky as hell. I mean, TaB, Starlight, SMBH, Map, Soldier's Poem, Invincible, Assassin, Exo is excruciatingly shonky, although CoD, Hoodoo and Knights is tres nice.

Where do you even start with the flow of T2L? The flow of Absolution is also greatly boosted by the strong theme of the album, the segues, the consistency of tone, lyrical content and core sound/genre, and the strength of the songs. I actually prefer it to Origin in flow terms. I can imagine Absolution being an incredible journey live.

• Like 1

S4A > Stockholm > FAWY

Hysteria > Blackout

TSP > Endlessly > TOADA > RBS

This is anti-flow. I’m talkin’ WHIPLASH tracklisting.

It’s bad enough on the album, I can’t remember the last time I even wanted to listen to Abso in full, but imagine being at a gig where you’re constantly shifting between fast/heavy and soft/slow on a song-to-song basis like that. Naaah mate, ur alright :noey: I would legit rather see TR in full live purely because it’d make some sense

7 hours ago, Jobby said:

It’s bad enough on the album, I can’t remember the last time I even wanted to listen to Abso in full, but imagine being at a gig where you’re constantly shifting between fast/heavy and soft/slow on a song-to-song basis like that.

1.5 - talks about wanting to go back to their roots (again) for LP9, ‘totally resetting’ and ‘going back to square one’, even suggests moving back to Teignmouth. Potentially very exciting if he means something closer to Showbiz and pre-Showbiz rather than Drones

You may be right, but may I suggest a compromise in the form of an Absolution setlist that's shuffled up a bit? 😁 Speaking as someone who would really like to see TSP, Endlessly, and FAWY live...

As far as "going back to square one", I would be interested in knowing what Matt means may this. As with anything Matt, what he says and what he means aren't always the same things. I personally hope it's more in terms with songwriting and composition of the album moreso than more distorted guitar. Drones was a stripped back album but I would argue that it's fairly disparate in style from the earlier albums.

Edited by svenisms
Added to response

3 hours ago, svenisms said:

You may be right, but may I suggest a compromise in the form of an Absolution setlist that's shuffled up a bit? 😁 Speaking as someone who would really like to see TSP, Endlessly, and FAWY live...

As far as "going back to square one", I would be interested in knowing what Matt means may this. As with anything Matt, what he says and what he means aren't always the same things. I personally hope it's more in terms with songwriting and composition of the album moreso than more distorted guitar. Drones was a stripped back album but I would argue that it's fairly disparate in style from the earlier albums.

Ahhh, see, I saw that suggestion coming. I’ll issue you the challenge of finding a shuffled re-ordering of that record, even including b-sides if ya fancy, and finding something that works. I have seen countless efforts in my 11 years, even from myself, and none have properly achieved it imo. Part of me doesn’t even blame the band ‘cos you just can’t win with it (though I do think they couldn’t have done much worse). For me, TSP, RBS and FAWY’ll happen some day, probably S4A as well for those who want that. Drop Endlessly in at some point and that’ll do. No need to faff about with this full album nonsense.

I agree, my first reaction was obviously remembering Drones but I think the mindset seems different. With Drones, they always emphasised (as they had for years) making it rock and guitar-based. This seems like more of a general ethos - move back to Tinny and approach things with a blank slate, forget what we’re used to or known for. If that’s accurate then I’m veeeery excited by that. Part of me kinda lazily hopes he’s looking to the ‘less riffs, more vibes’ approach of Showbiz, but given that they just reiterated that that’s the element of Showbiz they don’t really identify with anymore in OOM, that’s obvs doubtful. Still very exciting just from a creative standpoint though.

16 hours ago, Jobby said:

For me, TSP, RBS and FAWY’ll happen some day, probably S4A as well for those who want that. Drop Endlessly in at some point and that’ll do. No need to faff about with this full album nonsense.

This seems like more of a general ethos - move back to Tinny and approach things with a blank slate, forget what we’re used to or known for. If that’s accurate then I’m veeeery excited by that. 

Also isn't actually my fav album so it wouldn't break my heart to not get a full album setlist and would be more than happy with a more standard set list with a few Abso rarities sprinkled in. (TBH, I'd prefer this in general as I'm actually not a huge fan of only getting one era at a gig.)

But if that's the direction they're taking for the next album, count me as cautiously optimistic as it seems like a very fresh approach, at least as long as I've been a fan. I can't quite put my finger on WHAT I want from the next album but I like the idea of them taking a step back to try to tap into an older mindset while moving forward.

39 minutes ago, Claudia O said:

The interview with Matt & Zane isn‘t online , or I missed it ...

I’ve listened to it. Nowt special tbh, we’ve heard the most interesting parts of it already. Most of the hour is just a selection of songs and Matt briefly explaining why he picked them. Little bit of chatter about Jaded Hearts.

Y’know what IS interesting though??? Matt has recently bought the Telecaster Jeff Buckley used to record Grace and is planning to use it on the next Muse album. THIS MAN is fully back in 94-99 mode if you weren’t already a believer. (I was originally kinda joking about Showbiz 2 but 👀)

Ok, thank you! Yes, I ‚ve read about him buying this guitar and he‘s planning to use it! I‘m no big fan of the album Showbiz, it git great songs but as a whole .. no thanks. But if this means he intends to write more heartfelt and personal songs, or with anger, then count me in on the hype! 
what have we got so far?

- making new sounds with the guitar

- going back to the beginning/ with the Jeff Buckley-guitar in mind 

- no mellow ballads for Muse 

- Muse is more bombastic, heavy .. 

What else?

That’s it right now, I think. Still quite a way out from them starting work on the album so they don’t have much of a solid idea yet, exciting threads to build on though, especially with the extra time. Matt seems to suggest they won’t get back to it until a decent amount into next year, so I guess that almost solidifies a 2022 release. Plus him also mentioning that they weren’t planning to tour until then anyway.

On 5/15/2020 at 11:43 AM, Jobby said:

S4A > Stockholm > FAWY

Hysteria > Blackout

TSP > Endlessly > TOADA > RBS

This is anti-flow. I’m talkin’ WHIPLASH tracklisting.

It’s bad enough on the album, I can’t remember the last time I even wanted to listen to Abso in full, but imagine being at a gig where you’re constantly shifting between fast/heavy and soft/slow on a song-to-song basis like that. Naaah mate, ur alright :noey: I would legit rather see TR in full live purely because it’d make some sense

I disagree that switching from heavy / light or fast / slow is always bad flow. Look at Hoodoo for example, quite a radical change but still works cohesively together. There's more to it.

On 5/16/2020 at 9:43 AM, Jobby said:

Y’know what IS interesting though??? Matt has recently bought the Telecaster Jeff Buckley used to record Grace and is planning to use it on the next Muse album. THIS MAN is fully back in 94-99 mode if you weren’t already a believer. (I was originally kinda joking about Showbiz 2 but 👀)

He bought Jeff Buckley's guitar? Or just the same make and model? 

On 5/16/2020 at 7:00 PM, Jobby said:

That’s it right now, I think. Still quite a way out from them starting work on the album so they don’t have much of a solid idea yet, exciting threads to build on though, especially with the extra time. Matt seems to suggest they won’t get back to it until a decent amount into next year, so I guess that almost solidifies a 2022 release. Plus him also mentioning that they weren’t planning to tour until then anyway.

Tour hiatus is good. And isolation may be a creative impulse as well, even if Matt and Dom are done isolating and back in the hot tub together already.

Maybe Chris can crank out a solo album in the mean time. Or a few mor kids. 

On 5/16/2020 at 12:43 PM, Jobby said:

Whoa! Totally missed that Matt was planning on actually using Buckley's Tele on the next album! (I have an aching feeling that the Pitchfork's of the world aren't going to take too kindly to this but ya boy is a-ok with it!) While I'm absolutely gutted by the idea of having to wait until 2022 for a new album but for whatever reason, this is really exciting to me. I would be very cool with the boys looking to Buckley for influence again! 

1 hour ago, Claudia O said:

It IS Jeff Buckleys guitar!

That's cool!

I know he was a big influence on Matt back in the day. I'm not sure Matt can ever get out of that guitar what Buckley could though. Buckley had soul, and no matter how many times Matt uses the word 'soul' in his lyrics, that's something Muse just never had.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 3:45 PM, Hopix said:

I disagree that switching from heavy / light or fast / slow is always bad flow. Look at Hoodoo for example, quite a radical change but still works cohesively together. There's more to it.

Aye but that’s once, and it sticks very closely to the latin/Spag Western theme of COD and Knights.

Abso does it 9 (NINE) times. And we’re talking abrupt switches from fecking nu-metal (Stockholm) to soft/folky acoustic rock (FAWY) or industrial alt. rock (Hysteria) to an orchestral waltz (Blackout). And don’t even get me started on TSP > Endlessly > TOADA > RBS as an ending quartet of ‘fuck it, we give up’.

On 5/19/2020 at 8:32 PM, That Little Animal said:

That's cool!

I know he was a big influence on Matt back in the day. I'm not sure Matt can ever get out of that guitar what Buckley could though. Buckley had soul, and no matter how many times Matt uses the word 'soul' in his lyrics, that's something Muse just never had.

Oof, massively disagree. I mean, yeah, Matt’s not gonna touch what Jeff made with that guitar, we’re talking about one of the most talented artists of all time and an iconic record. Sadly, a lot of Matt’s nuance has been lost in effects, bombastic riffs and walls of noise over the years and Muse have always been rough around the edges in comparison to Jeff’s more silky smooth tendencies but Matt’s more than capable of capturing a hell of a lot of emotion and tenderness in his playing/singing if he lets himself.

Edited by Jobby

I mean that's kinda the thing though right? He's not a robot but he, sometimes literally, acts like one when it comes to the records. This is especially there in more recent albums such as seeing the acoustic Something Human compared to how it ended up on album. I'm not using this as criticizing though, Muse to both its casual and hardcore fans is known and loved for just being extra. There's times when Matt does strip things back but it usually ends up in a kind of playful (or sad) awkwardness. It's very endearing but it's not the 70s style deep emotion from Buckley that we call "soul".

But at some point it doesn't really matter. You're not obligated to play a guitar the same way it was played before. But then also why else would you go to such lengths to buy that guitar? I don't really know what he'll pull off. I don't even really know where he is in life right now besides content and with land.