LP9: WOTP Discussion/Speculation Thread

Jobby

Loving the single so far. Not 100% into it though. I'de like the song was a bit longer and with a more ellaborated conclussion, with a longer build ups. Gets quite repetitive even if the rythim is catchy. A bit serial-b undercook here.

This is the same problem i had with the WHOLE Simulation Theory. Maybe aside Algorithm, all the songs were short and repetitive without proper muse-y build ups and conclusions, like a good concept repeating 3 minutes and then the next.

Of course i prefer 1000000 times Wont Stand Down sound than anything from ST.

Been so long since I've been on here I couldn't remember my password. Wasn't actually too keen on this first listen, thought the verse was way too imagine dragons and jarred with the chorus but about 5 listens later really liking it. Agree the outro could be longer but meh it's good. Not the same level of enjoyment as Psycho though, that will always be the comeback song for me (for now).

I'm not too keen on this hip hop/modern pop-influenced rhythm of the verses. It's not my cup of tea, but above else I just don't think it suits Muse and Matt very good at all. I think they should avoid that territory. 

However, I think it would've been much more interesting,  better and not as repetitive if the second verse developed into something else, rather than being identical to the first one -- for instance a more traditional singing style. That could've evelated it from good to really good, IMO.

The choruses and the rest are pretty good though, despite the somewhat odd mixing choices here and there.

8 hours ago, Clunge said:

Nooooooooo! Start with De-Loused In The Comatorium. It's the definitive Mars Volta album and by far the most succinct and spectacular. All their albums have their moments, and I'd definitely recommend giving Frances and Goliath a go, but start with De-Loused. If you don't like De-Loused – TMV at their most focused – you'll find their other albums more difficult. I'd go so far as to say De-Loused is the best full-on prog album of this century so far.

These are all good points. But Bedlam is probably their most accessible which is why I normally start people out on it.

Really liking WSD, the verses give me Dead Inside vibes. MUCH better than Pressure.

The end is a tease much like MOTP. Hopefully live they'll rock out a bit longer when they play it live but not sure they will other than tagging a different riff on the end.

edit: Thought I'd signed up to this new board but nah. Been around since 2006 but very much a lurker.

Edited by Man_In_Showbiz

9 hours ago, Clunge said:

Tbh, Drones gives me more consistent enjoyment of any Muse album since Absolution. In album order context, the run through to Aftermath is great (excluding Aftermath which is where the wheels firmly come off. The Globalist is just cack). I still unashamedly love Revolt. But Dead Inside, Reapers and Handler are A++ Muse, and there are fewer moments of A++ Muse on any of their other albums since Absolution. Maybe BH&R for Take A Bow, Map and City of Delusion.

I personally don’t mind Drones.
But I recognise it’s a rubbish album that I like because I’m a muse fan and bias. 

I think for me personally though I built it up with so much hype, Matt had long hair, there was all this teasing of heavy riffs, the album art work, psycho being hyped up as too dark and heavy for the radio etc I was ready for something dark, loud and heavy and we got some of that with The Handler, Reapers was good fun, I even thought Dead Inside was the single they had tried to make for years and finally got right. Mercy I didn’t mind. But after that Revolt was too much cheese, defector could have been fun but it’s so lyrically cheesy and bad, aftermath is surely up there for the worst thing they have done…Globalist could have really been something special but I have found I never ever go back to it post Drones era. I think if we had less of the word Drones in the album and didn’t go all in on that theme it could have been a lot better, I think they picked the wrong dude to produce it and it needed a couple more stronger songs and no aftermath. 

I hope this time around we get a better overall product. 

3 hours ago, PlugInYorkie said:

I personally don’t mind Drones.
But I recognise it’s a rubbish album that I like because I’m a muse fan and bias. 

I think for me personally though I built it up with so much hype, Matt had long hair, there was all this teasing of heavy riffs, the album art work, psycho being hyped up as too dark and heavy for the radio etc I was ready for something dark, loud and heavy and we got some of that with The Handler, Reapers was good fun, I even thought Dead Inside was the single they had tried to make for years and finally got right. Mercy I didn’t mind. But after that Revolt was too much cheese, defector could have been fun but it’s so lyrically cheesy and bad, aftermath is surely up there for the worst thing they have done…Globalist could have really been something special but I have found I never ever go back to it post Drones era. I think if we had less of the word Drones in the album and didn’t go all in on that theme it could have been a lot better, I think they picked the wrong dude to produce it and it needed a couple more stronger songs and no aftermath. 

I hope this time around we get a better overall product. 

the drill sergeant screaming is also one of the worst things they have ever done. just pure cringe for me. 

I still love Drones. I remember I was about to go on family vacation the day it was going to come out and I was afraid my local record store would be sold out of it by the time I got back, so I called and asked them if they could hold a copy for me... then they did me one better and told me I could come down and pick it up a day early since I was going to be out of town on release day. I was ecstatic! Top 3 Muse album for me.

Hey, while the board is semi-active again, we should all do album rankings! Where's the thread for that...

• Like 1

My reaction was pretty tame at first because we'd basically heard the whole song already but my god, the more I let it settle with me the more pumped I am for the full album. The producer's hinted on Instagram that there's heavier stuff waiting, so an actually cohesive heavy/metal/gothic pop album might actually not be a mental thing to dream for...the POTENTIAAALLLLL

On 1/14/2022 at 7:44 AM, Clunge said:

I still unashamedly love Revolt.

yaaaaas queen

(Still my song at heart though - my lone battles against the endless barbarian hordes are etched in stone in the annals of 2015 threads)

Sim Theory's still my "new Muse 2009-2019" album though. Drones had the edge on TR and T2L just by being pretty consistent but Sim Theory brought the real highs for me. If I had to make a mashup record of the last decade, that'd defo dominate it. Here's hoping LP9 will be another step up though, be hitting really good form again if so. In fact, "new Muse" will start to just look like a 3-5 year blip.

On 1/14/2022 at 11:41 AM, Timbo59 said:

I think the line that's making me recall Neutron Star Collision is the melody of "won't grow stronger". Sorta similar to the vocal melody of "you took your time to choose / their doctrines will be cloud" in NSC.

idk if I'm pointing out unnecessaries and it's just a typo but "becloud" is all one word

22 hours ago, Bohemian-Cygnus-Running-Out said:

Hey, while the board is semi-active again, we should all do album rankings! Where's the thread for that...

Whenever my last one was, if you can find it - it's not changed. Pretty proud of my consistency tbh :cool: (yes I still use the old board smilies)

Not made a setlist in yonks though, I used to post those like 3 times a week! Mayhaps a speculative WSD Tour one may be in order...

After listening to the new song several times, while I enjoyed it initially, I seem to be loving it more by the day. I actually always liked Bellamy's up-and-down vocal delivery in the verses. That and the breakdowns were the initial highlights to me. However, after hearing it more, the chorus has gotten ingrained in my head for the past 24 hours (at least); the drastic change between verse, chorus, and breakdown actually seems to work; and I'm now even digging the loud bass thumps at the start. Between this and the comment the producer made on Instagram about the album only getting heavier from here, this has to be the most pumped I've been for a Muse album in quite some time, maybe ever.

Side-note: Whoever it was that mentioned The Volta Mars, thank you! I've been listening to some of their stuff over the past couple of days and am loving it! Before going to bed last night, I checked out their 32-minute opus, "Cassandra Gemini," with ZERO intent on listening to the entire thing in one sitting. I couldn't stop. Totally mesmerized. I listened to it all the way through. Incredible song/journey! Looking forward to checking out the rest of their catalog. Who knew it was possible for Santana, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, among others (King Crimson, for one), to have a baby?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Claudia O said:

So the place has gone silent again? Embarassed by Matt at the Twentyone Pilot gig? 🤣  But his mashup in the stories is fun!

I think there'd be more folks sticking around with an album announcement. Everyone chimed in to say what they thought of the song then got back to their usual lives.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m loving the new single but the lack of any announcements or album news is disappointing :( Was out at a bar with my brother when the single dropped and we got the bar to play the new song, it was a fancy small bar that played jazz music so nobody in there was impressed at all 😂😂😂 But we were drunk with espresso martinis head banging! 

I like this very much considering it's just a first single. Upon the first couple of listens I wasn't too sure about the singing style of the verses, but it took a surprisingly short time to get used to them. The song structure is obviously very standard, but that's completely fine for a simple single. I like how they've managed to spice it up with those changes on the eighth beats which makes it sound like it's changing time signature although it keeps a (un?)steady 4/4 throughout. The theme of the song also makes me feel like it's a mirroring of/sequel to The Handler which I really like.

Also: They've really made the most out of Matt's slightly perverse grin in the video haven't they :LOL:

• Like 2