LP9: WOTP Discussion/Speculation Thread

Jobby

On 1/19/2022 at 6:03 PM, Clunge said:

Amplifier – Amplifier (self-titled); Arcane Roots – Melancholia Hymns; Black Peaks – Statues; Cave In – Antenna; Kyuss – Sky Valley; Monster Magnet – Spine of God; Oceansize – Frames; Porcupine Tree – Deadwing (although In Absentia, Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream are all 10/10); and Turbowolf – The Free Life.

Thanks for the recs! I'm definitely leaning towards the Sabbathy/stoner metal bands. I know they're a little divisive but I'm really liking The Sword as well. Excited to check out Kyuss as I've been on a QOTSA kick lately as well. Side note: I'm back into Mars Volta after a decade of not really listening to them too much, thanks to this thread. :)

23 hours ago, Citizen_Eraser said:

The falsetto on "eyes" and "disguise" I actually love.

Same! It's not Muse without at least a hint of camp, which is a huge factor of what I love about them.

On 1/21/2022 at 2:20 PM, Bumpypotato said:

I actually kinda dog the vocals in the verse, but they definitely are pretty corny. I mean, the whole song is in truth. But much as we might try to deny it, they’ve been a fairly corny band since at least BH&R. 

100% this. I would die for an album with the seriousness of Absolution again.

25 minutes ago, Citizen_Eraser said:

100% this. I would die for an album with the seriousness of Absolution again.

I really don't think Muse were going for serious back then though. Like, they tried doing "serious" again on Drones and that's the worst part about that album. It made the lyrics heavy handed, the tempos plodding, and even the cover art fall somewhere in the uncanny valley (I still remember people on here freaking out over the arm hairs on the big hand... seriously).  Whereas when they were writing and recording Abso, sure they had some serious topics in mind and the music seemed to come from an unsterilized environment, but I can just imagine the laughter and air of mischief around the idea "let's just totally stop the song here and put in like half a minute of solo romantic piano and orchestral accompaniment, then pick the song back up like nothing happened... we'll call it... Butterflies & Hurricanes!" or "what if we tried to mix some more Michel Jackson into our sound," etc.  Sure the record comes off as serious to the listener (mostly, there'll always be the lyrics to The Small Print, which are just so over the top they make me smile), but I imagine Matt, Chris, and Dom were just having a great fun time coming up with ideas for it and figuring out how to record them.  It's why I'm so thankful they didn't follow up Drones with another "serious" record, despite loving Drones quite a lot.  What often draws me to Muse over other bands who may be more consistent or acclaimed is their childlike absurdity.  Drones isn't devoid of it (see choosing to end your album with a rewritten renaissance a cappella peace about drones, or the dialogue in Psycho, or Dead Inside as a whole), but Simulation Theory was chocked full of throwing caution to the wind and seeing what wild ideas might actually work. Break It To Me and Propaganda turned out to be especially off the beaten path and still both great songs, and the whole aesthetic of the album was so cheesy and gaudy it worked well with those kinds of genre mashup experiments, as well as the constant 80s throwbacks. So I guess what I'm saying is I, personally, don't want another "serious" album, or at least not another one that's actively trying to achieve that quality.  I'd rather Matt and the band just do whatever excites and interests them and see where it takes them... follow their muse if I may... lol.

But of course I loved Drones and I love Absolution and I love OoS and Showbiz so what do I know.

What if the album is acually called 2022? Or perhaps a song.

Could it be that the album revolve around what's happening right now, the global situation at this very moment, and are titled thereafter? But I don't know, it's probably a longshot.

I don't hope it's more like  a "yeah, the album will be out sometime 2022" message because I really had hoped, considering one song is already out, it would be out april-may.

1 hour ago, Claudia O said:

Somebody found out which studio they were at (Grooveworx Studio) and it’s mainly for rehearsals 😎👍 

So either the album's already done because there's no reason otherwise to be in purely rehearsal mode right now, or there's no album at all and any time they spent in recording studios over the past year was all for WSD.

Tell us! Lol.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Dysfunco said:

I don't hope it's more like  a "yeah, the album will be out sometime 2022" message 

I think that's exactly what it is ;)

18 hours ago, Bohemian-Cygnus-Running-Out said:

or there's no album at all and any time they spent in recording studios over the past year was all for WSD.

oh dear god

So if we're to believe that WSD is any indication of what we're getting on the record/tour.......does that mean pop medley? 😏 Muprh rising from the stage with a Snapchat dog ear filter while the band plays "Guiding Light"

Edited by svenisms