It was aaaaages ago, I was really young and my dad had showbiz playing whenever possible, of course I had no idea what it was then.

But then my mate got a load of tickets for wembley so we went to see them.

I picked up all their main albums on the way home and never really stopped listening to them :LOL:

I guess you could say I found them by accident. :chuckle:

I was about 10/11 and watching Sky Sports with my brother, and heard Starlight in the background, but of course we didn't know Muse then, so we made this bet; whoever found out who did this song first, won £2.

So after a week of trying to find this song, it was no good so we gave up. But then I heard TIRO on an advert and decided to type the lyrics into Google (good ol' Google :p) and found out it was by Muse. I really liked this song so I decided to check more of Muse out, which is when I discovered Starlight and recognised it being the song in the background.

This also explains why I have a soft spot for Starlight (can't believe the hate it gets :stunned:). It was the first Muse song I heard.

However, when The Resistance was released later last year, I decided to download their album and rediscover Muse. I was blown away, for the second time, at this masterpiece of a gem. It was absolutely like nothing I have heard before. It didn't sound indie, or mainstream, or regular rock. It was like a swirly combination of everything, made special by Matt's unconventional and beautiful vocals. After listening to the album a loads of times, I listened to the entire Muse discography...

Perfect description, especially the bolded part. :)

Your experience was very similar to mine. I first heard Butterflies & Hurricanes about 5 years ago, very ironically, at my parent's house. It was because one of my brothers who still lived with them was very into alternative music and had downloaded tons of MP3s onto their computer that were almost always continuously shuffling. Muse was a big part of the musical selection and I remember being blown away by the amount of piano (piano is the ultimate instrument IMO) and the obvious influence of classical music in the piece. I asked who it was and went home and promptly downloaded it onto my own MP3 player. Almost every time I'd go over to visit I'd randomly hear a Muse song and I always liked it. I got to where I could pick Matt's voice out from anything and no longer had to ask who it was when I liked a song. By the time The Resistance came out, I had at least 10 of their songs on my MP3, from various albums (except Showbiz), all of which were favorites in my library.

It's hard for me to trust an artist, in that 99% of bands will produce an album that I'll only enjoy one or two songs and the rest is complete crap. But I decided that I liked what I had of theirs so much that I was just going to trust them. The rest, as they say, is history, and the exact same thing happened: after listening to The Resistance a load of times, particularly the genius, "unapologetic beauty" (love that Times description of The Resistance) that is Exogenesis, I knew that I MUST HAVE their entire discography. I have everything I could get my hands on and I've loved 99.9% of it (just can't make myself love Forced In :$). I also saw them in concert recently, thought they sounded amazing live, and when I realized that Matt isn't just the vocalist (I never watch MTV), but also the guitarist and pianist (as well as the songwriter, I found out later), I was impressed to the point of full-blown obsession. And so here I am. :$:happy:

I first heard Knights of Cydonia in 2006 on triple J. But, because my taste in music was shite at the time, I only ever listened to Knights. But then, in 2009 when I started learning bass, a friend recommended Time Is Running Out to me, and I loved it. Since then, I have gathered every single one of their songs they have ever recorded, and have 10 hours of them on my computer :D.

Now I love nearly every one of their songs, and I'm seeing them live for the first time in December!

I didn't consciously become aware of any one muse song, it was probably when i stole half my sister's music and so had starlight, smbh and knights. I liked supermassive but wasn't crazy about it, thought knights was great but i absolutely loved starlight.

A couple of months later i was in hmv and saw HAARP on the shelf and decided to buy it. I absolutely loved it, realised i already knew hysteria, tiro and invincible, but it wasnt until i finally got up to new born that my mind was completely blown. And so here we are :)

Perfect description, especially the bolded part. :)

Your experience was very similar to mine. I first heard Butterflies & Hurricanes about 5 years ago, very ironically, at my parent's house. It was because one of my brothers who still lived with them was very into alternative music and had downloaded tons of MP3s onto their computer that were almost always continuously shuffling. Muse was a big part of the musical selection and I remember being blown away by the amount of piano (piano is the ultimate instrument IMO) and the obvious influence of classical music in the piece. I asked who it was and went home and promptly downloaded it onto my own MP3 player. Almost every time I'd go over to visit I'd randomly hear a Muse song and I always liked it. I got to where I could pick Matt's voice out from anything and no longer had to ask who it was when I liked a song. By the time The Resistance came out, I had at least 10 of their songs on my MP3, from various albums (except Showbiz), all of which were favorites in my library.

It's hard for me to trust an artist, in that 99% of bands will produce an album that I'll only enjoy one or two songs and the rest is complete crap. But I decided that I liked what I had of theirs so much that I was just going to trust them. The rest, as they say, is history, and the exact same thing happened: after listening to The Resistance a load of times, particularly the genius, "unapologetic beauty" (love that Times description of The Resistance) that is Exogenesis, I knew that I MUST HAVE their entire discography. I have everything I could get my hands on and I've loved 99.9% of it (just can't make myself love Forced In :$). I also saw them in concert recently, thought they sounded amazing live, and when I realized that Matt isn't just the vocalist (I never watch MTV), but also the guitarist and pianist (as well as the songwriter, I found out later), I was impressed to the point of full-blown obsession. And so here I am. :$:happy:

Matt really intrigued me alot, so I searched up about him. He's like a modern Renaissance man; near perfection, to be truthful. I hope I don't sound naive because there's a bunch of others like him as well, but he has real substance and has humility.

Unfortunately I don't have that much money to spend on Muse's entire discography, haha.

One day, back in '03, my friend came over and said I heard this awesome song on the radio, and so we went on Yahoo videos and started watching videos for the new songs he heard on the radio. Then he's like oh check this one out.. and it was Time is Running Out.

I watched it like 3 times in a row and said this is my favorite song in the world. He said you only just heard it. But before he knew it I had downloaded all the Muse albums and had a new obsession... My last obsessions were crap and only lasted a few months.. (linkin park... yellowcard.. bleck) but it's now 2010 and I love muse more and more every day.

I now currently own all the albums, not just downloaded, btw. :D

Matt really intrigued me alot, so I searched up about him. He's like a modern Renaissance man; near perfection, to be truthful. I hope I don't sound naive because there's a bunch of others like him as well, but he has real substance and has humility.

Yeah, me too. But to say Matt intrigued me is pretty much a massive understatement. :LOL: I'll probably get criticized for this: but Matt is the primary reason I'm so utterly obsessed. The other two members are extremely talented, to be sure, and I wouldn't want to see Matt work with any other musicians, but Matt is insanely talented (IMO, of course). He doesn't just sing (with one of the most distinct voices in the business), but composes, lyricizes (is that a word? :LOL:), and plays several instruments--instruments that he doesn't just have minor talent in--he plays them with amazing skill like the music god he is. I find insane talent to be very...intriguing ;)...to say the least. And I agree, despite the occasional "unusual" comment (which I think are often misinterpreted) from him, I think he does have substance and humility, far more than I would expect from a rock star.

And now for some real craziness: If I believed in this type of thing--I'd say he's Mozart reincarnate. He hears music in his head all the time, he's been accused of being excessive and over-the-top (which Mozart was very much accused of in his day), he's kind of small, he has an unusual sense of humor and a hilariously crazy laugh, and, again, is insanely talented. But I don't, so I guess Matt's his own brand of genius. The similarities are fun, though.

I guess that's enough obsessive Matt fangirling for now. :$:rolleyes: What were we talking about? :D:LOL: Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

My friend played Uprising from her cell at school. The same day I visited the Alex Jones website and listened to the radio show (I was really interested about conspiracy theories that time) and they played Uprising there. I liked it and listened to it on youtube. The lyrics really got me interested. Then I checked out other songs from TR; Mk Ultra, US and Resistance I think were the first ones. I really loved them, and again I just loved the lyrics.

All of those lyrics are really full of conspiracy theories so I wanted to see if there was more of this. So I read through all of their lyrics and listened to a few interesting sounding songs, loved them.

In a few weeks time, I started listening through their whole discography and the end is history. So basically it was Matt's conspiracies that first hooked me. But don't get me wrong, the lyrics were not the only reason that got me into Muse.

• 1 month later...

well... i was watching doctor who fan videos, and there was one with map of the problematique and i loved it, but the name was wrong and i couldn't find the song, until i saw mtv emas 2008 and i looked for muse music and i haven't stop since then... a shame the video is no longer available...

My cousin, who is older than me, she was addicted to Muse when she was ... around 12 or 13. I was only 6 (or 7 ... xD) and she always listened to Showbiz and Origin Of Symmetry, I didn't really understand what the songs meant, because I could not speak English, anyway, I liked the melodies ! So I listened to Muse, like child listen to Hanna Montana now :LOL:

But I became a fan when I heard Sing for Absolution for the first time, I was addicted to the video =) and ... I still addicted to Muse ... xD

Sorry for my bad english by the way ^^

About 3 years ago there's this movie channel in the U.S., and still is, called amc, and there would be no commercials, but they would have these things like commercials where they would say what movies are up next. They would play TIRO during those commercials. My mom loved is and went out and bought Absolution. I've been hooked ever since. It's only the been last year that I've gone out and bought OoS, Showbiz, and Hullabaloo, and for some reason, I like some of their older stuff than I do their newer stuff. I still think Abso is their best album

I have a Top of the Pops compilation album from 2000 that I used to love listening to, Muscle Museum is on it.

Jesus, I got it when I was five! :LOL:

I've always like Muse since then and they've been me favourite band for a few years.

They just never get old, if you know what I mean. Some songs I listen to over and over again can just wear off, but Muse and a few other bands and singers can make me feel like I'm listening to them for the first time again :)

weellll

my first encounter was around 07 when i saw the Wembley KoC on a station called MTVHits.

i said "that man in the red suit is dapper...oh my god that scratchy pad on his guitar is sick!!" :LOL:

but i didnt bother searching them up :rolleyes:

THEN

i saw muse on the 09 VMAs. i didnt notice matt was the red suit man. and i was an ignorant bitch so in my mind i said "what the hell is this? *skips past the performance* "

AND THEN

i saw Uprising on tv and i was like "I LIKE THIS SONG." and i searched muse up and listened to The Resistace and watched the Wembley DVD and realized it was red suit guy and i got hooked :p

i feel like a n00b. :facepalm:

i heard/saw supermassive black hole on mtv in 2006 (of ALL the music channels, it was mtv haha) and tbh i really didn't like that song, but then i heard starlight so i was like "ok, i'll get the album" and then map of the problematique became my jam. the rest is history~

A friend of mine (another massive Muse fan) posted a video of the boys playing Hysteria and I was like "I've heard this song, this is win". It was also around the time of the release of HAARP, so that was being publicised. I asked a few friends what to start with and downloaded OoS. The lyrics in NB and Micro Cuts really got me (not a usual Muse-introductory song, granted) and I downloaded the rest.

Loved them ever since and as someone already posted, the rest is history.

• 1 month later...

Space Dementia was my first- probably about 6 years ago- i remember it was around a year before BH&R came out. Loved the tune and lyrics, which gave me the need to listen to more....hence buying BH&R and every other muse song in existance to this day....still finding new ones- whoever invented Youtube is a genius!!!!!! :p

Archived