im a late bloomer, ive known of muse from years back. but never really listened to em . i remember watchin "Starlight" and "supermassive blackhole" on video hits(music show in australia) and it didnt catch my attention first time round THEN when i first saw "knights of cydonia" on mtv (by now i am more musically open minded) and was absolutley blown away!

and thought " shit i need to start listenin to these guys, and started doin the usual research on em, went out bought blackholes and revelations , and listened to it over and over and now im obsessed, then saw them in concert last saturday in perth and was blown away at how awesome their live show is.

ive never really been into the music that muse plays. more blues/floyd/prog rock.psychedelic stuff. realised bellamy is a guitar genius and now im obsessed with muse's music.

My friends and I are driving to see The Cure sometime in 2004, and Angela puts in a CD (Absolution). As soon as Apocalypse Please starts, my ears perk up. I think, "This is interesting. This is good. It's like Radiohead with more piano." 25 seconds in the backing vocals kick in and I'm hooked. A minute in, the lyrics are amazing. 1:47, the synth arpeggios kick in and it's the best song I've heard in ages. "Who is this?" I ask with some urgency. "Muse. This is their new album." she says.

I bought it that week and have been a fan ever since. :happy:

I was listening to the radio in the car and they were playing a song from a concert where the singer was inhaling deeply at the end of each line, but they didn’t say the name of the band/song. I heard it again about 2 weeks later and I thought that’s interesting, Then I heard Starlight, saw the Starlight video, heard it again and you know how when you like someone then all of a sudden you find yourself falling in love with them and you think shit how did that happen! Well that’s how it was with me and Muse’s music – it was beautiful. I downloaded Starlight from itunes and thought that was the song I may have heard live, but then realised it would have been Time Is Running Out. I’m now getting into their earlier stuff, I have BHAR, Absolution and Hullabaloo CD’s. Their versatility over many years is amazing, Matt’s classical piano and guitar playing is wonderful, and they are actually exposing us to many different musical styles, and I feel a lot of their music harkens back to eras past. We are getting a very good musical education by listening to Muse. As for Matt’s lyrics – well you all know how genius they are.

First time I heard them, I thought there were around 5 band members they sounded so massive

EDIT: I got into them because I kept seeing them on television; there was a live performance from some Absolution tour gig somewhere and I thought the Plug in Baby riff was in the same song as Hysteria :LOL: I remember finishing Absolution and wondering where the fuck 'that memorable riff' was :D This gig was the same one I had thought that there must be around 5 band members and I actually wrote down their name in my little 'bands to check out list' in my school diary that I had at the time :D They were on TotP too doing TIRO I remember, then at a friend's bday sleepover where we stayed up all night, she kept MTV2 on so I became addicted to Hysteria literally overnight :happy: This same friend then said to me a couple of months later "So you like Muse then?" and I says "yeah" and she replies "Oh I don't like their album any more, the first song came on and I was like jesus christ that's scary, crashing pianos of death!"

Ah, nostalgia:rolleyes:

Ps, I'm VERY interested to find that gig again, I can't find it anywhere, not on Youtube or MuseTV on Microcuts :( Any help would be gratefully appreciated

i was working in ashiy toy shop in melbourne to pay my way through studing one of the employes left a cd there was a song on in now known to b space dementia and it blew my freaking mind litrally draw just droped the next time this happened was new born when it goesa slow to heavy

It was only last year and it was the starlight video and I just remembered thinking what a small guy and what a big voice. I had heard of muse but all I knew was that they were a rock band I hadn't really put a sound to the name and then it was like BANG there they were and I bought absolution and from then on I listened to it constantly and I remember thinking while listening to it this is the best thing I have ever heard, it became my favourite album and I became obsessed.

I got into them around the time most Aussies did - Absolution. I loved TIRO from the second I haerd it and bought the album the day it came out - it was soo good, the piano on that album! :musesign:

I was very much hooked and went and bought all of their albums, enjoying each as much as that!

After hearing TIRO in 2003 I remember thinking, "Wow, what a voice!" I had the 'ooooo-ooo yeah-yeah-yeah...' bits stuck in my head for days. I was supposed to get Absolution that week but forgot for some reason.

Then in 2005, there was a big storm at school so we all had to stay inside. A friend of mine had Hullabaloo on her Discman and let me listen to it after I recognised the name Muse. The first thing I heard properly was Dead Star. I remember there was lightning outside and those big guitars just fit so perfectly.

1st post on the forum, been a hardcore fan since last may!

1st time i heard muse was on a LIVE 8 dvd i purchased, they played "time is running out", went and bought the cd........and then i put the glastonbury DVD in........and their it was...stared in amazement for the entire dvd, showed all my friends, and now their all muse fans

My cousine gave me absolution for my birhtday i think a couple of years ago. Knowing his taste in music i thought it would be death metal or something so i didn't actually listen to it ffor about six months. but when i heard the first line of apozalypse please i was sold. I realy liked the fact that it doesn't sound like anything you've ever heard before. I realy liked the piano bits on absolution.

The band were in Dublin for a gig and went to a bar after the show, where my brother was working as a bouncer. He ended up with a free copy of OoS from the guys (they were promoting it at the time) and as soon as he heard it he knew I'd love it so he gave it to me! The rest is history!:LOL:

Sometime earlier this year, don't remember exactly when. I heard something off of Absolution, I think Butterflies and Hurricanes and Stockholme Syndrome on the internet. I went out and bought all the Muse cd's I could find that night. :D

I'm sure I would have been a fan much earlier if I didn't live in the US...

I first heard of Muse years ago. I vaguely remember someone I knew from following another band around raving on about how good they were in the late 90s. I think that was even before they were signed. And I'm sure I saw posters up advertising their shows as I was following other bands around the same tiny places they were playing in the late 90's. I wish I had taken more notice then!

I remember hearing a few of their songs over the years and they were always on my 'I must check out this band properly one day' list.

Then last year, they were announced as Reading headliners. I had already decided I was going to Reading and thought I ought to check them out so I'd know what to expect. Everyone was saying how amazing their new album was. Then I saw an add for it on the TV and heard a clip of Supermassive Black Hole and decided to get it. I also got Absolution and Origin at the same time (Showbiz came a couple of days later)

So I was there with the 3 albums in my hand. I didnt really know where to start!

So I started with Supermassive. Loved it. Then I put Black Holes on random repeat. Assasin came on next. I just thought 'wow that song is amazing! What else is on there?' Then Take a Bow came on. My jaw was still on the floor! Then Knights happened. I loved every song I heard.

I decided at that point I really should give the other albums a listen too. I put Bliss on because I had heard it before. I remembered how wonderful it is! I didnt know where to go from there so I went onto last FM and worked my way through the most played songs. However, somehow or other I managed to totally miss Plug in Baby. When they palyed it at Reading I thought 'wow! This is good how did I miss this?!!!'

Yeah so my general reaction was 'Oh my God! Thats amazing! Why have I left it so long to check this band out?!!'

and that was before I saw them live....!!!

• 2 months later...

Archived