Whatever Happened To The Guitar Hero?

Apocalyptic Gerbil

Article on NME.com about guitar heroes and Matt was mentioned:

'Critics stroke their chins to the bone trying to rationalise Muse's colossal mainstream appeal. It's no great mystery: Matt Bellamy is a proper, jaw-on-the-floor guitar hero, and there aren't too many of those about. He plays with a skill that's beyond the reach of the average human being. It's inspiring.'

Loads of Muse flaming in the comments at the bottom of the article too :LOL:

Link: http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?blog=146&p=8894&title=whatever_happened_to_the_guitar_hero&more=1&c=1

Matt's hardly a 'guitar hero' any more - their live shows don't show off any of his virtuousity any more, guitar or piano :(.

This should be entitled 'Rise of the Happy-Clappy Hero'.

:LOL:

He has become quite a pro at clapping if NME starts a poll for "Greatest Clappers of the Decade" that he will win that hands down!

lol no :LOL:

i know you think it's really cool to be laugh at muse when everyone else is but laughing at a comment that says he's better than the average guitar player is stupid. of course he does you bandwaggoning moron.

but i do hate musers when they say "i can't think of any other modern guitar hero apart from matt bellamy." grrrrr.

Matt certainly is a guitar hero. He inspires people from many different backgrounds to try and learn the guitar. He may not be the most technically skilled player but he certainly has a very unique and recognisable style of playing. The double-neck guitars, solos, dramatic breakdowns, his amazing stage presence are all part of being a 'guitar hero'.

Matt certainly is a guitar hero. He inspires people from many different backgrounds to try and learn the guitar. He may not be the most technically skilled player but he certainly has a very unique and recognisable style of playing. The double-neck guitars, solos, dramatic breakdowns, his amazing stage presence are all part of being a 'guitar hero'.

+1. Nicely said. ;)

i know you think it's really cool to be laugh at muse when everyone else is but laughing at a comment that says he's better than the average guitar player is stupid. of course he does you bandwaggoning moron.

It wasn't about him being better than the average guitar player. "He plays with a skill that is beyond the reach of the average human being". Most human beings could certainly play all his parts with two to three years of good practice.

It wasn't about him being better than the average guitar player. "He plays with a skill that is beyond the reach of the average human being". Most human beings could certainly play all his parts with two to three years of good practice.

i doubt the "average human" could play all the songs and riffs for 3 hours straight, and he puts his own wee twists on riffs like maggie's farm etc... people could learn his songs yes, but his style is second to none.

where as jimi hendrix, could do stuff no-one else could, but it would be a miracle if we had another hendrix.

Most human beings could certainly play all his parts with two to three years of good practice.

Most human beings don't even have the talent to play the guitar badly ;)

And yeah, guitar showmanship is pretty much dead these days, which is kinda sad.

i doubt the "average human" could play all the songs and riffs for 3 hours straight, and he puts his own wee twists on riffs like maggie's farm etc... people could learn his songs yes, but his style is second to none.

where as jimi hendrix, could do stuff no-one else could, but it would be a miracle if we had another hendrix.

:LOL::facepalm:

We have other Hendrixs, just the mainstream doesn't want the next Hendrix. And he wasn't even big in his time, it's all rose-tinted glasses looking back on the 60's.

Anyway, the guitar hero replaced the piano hero, the synth hero replaced the guitar hero, the DJ hero replaced the synth hero, the producer hero replaced the DJ hero...

Most ordinary people could play guitar if they wanted to, it's all about the willpower

I disagree. You need some degree of musical ability. I would love to play guitar, have had lessons and failed miserably.

I disagree. You need some degree of musical ability. I would love to play guitar, have had lessons and failed miserably.

I don't know you personally, but the first months are always the hardest part no matter how much natural talent one has, and many people (including me) feel/felt like they're constantly epicly failing during that time.

I have a guitar but for me, playing rather strange chords and making a load of screechy rough notes feels much more satisfying at the moment then properly learning. I know I'm a better drummer than guitarist, but when I do get a guitar I just like to fuck around with it. My cousin's the better one.

Like the article says though, There is very little guitar showmanship in current music. Matt is happy to do guitar showmanship and there is likely another guitar virtuoso like Hendrix out there - but nobody wants one as has been said.

The only real guitar heroes doing stuff at the minute are Bellamy, Slash and Morello. But someone does need to come out and just grab guitar playing by the balls and create symphonies with the power of his 6 strings alone.

:LOL::facepalm:

We have other Hendrixs, just the mainstream doesn't want the next Hendrix. And he wasn't even big in his time, it's all rose-tinted glasses looking back on the 60's.

van gogh, possibly the best artist ever, wasn't known till years after his death, does that make him less likely to be the best artist ever, no.

and haze015. i challenge you and your musical greatness, to make riffs for songs so awesome you can sell wembley out in a few hours, and make songs so beautiful, you make girls cry.

no you cannot. don't even start telling me amateurs that can play muse to a good standard even compare to matt bellamy. your logic is wrong, if these guys can play so good on guitar they should fucking find a band, like any logical musician, and get out there, even start playing in toilet gigs and work your way up.

seriously, i know you all want to be the "i don't suck up to muse, i'm not a fanboy/girl lol that's for kids." grow the fuck up, appreciate everyone ain't as talented and bloody stop thinking that matt isn't as good as the norm, of course he is. that's why he is a modern rock icon, like it or not.l

van gogh, possibly the best artist ever, wasn't known till years after his death, does that make him less likely to be the best artist ever, no.

and haze015. i challenge you and your musical greatness, to make riffs for songs so awesome you can sell wembley out in a few hours, and make songs so beautiful, you make girls cry.

no you cannot. don't even start telling me amateurs that can play muse to a good standard even compare to matt bellamy. your logic is wrong, if these guys can play so good on guitar they should fucking find a band, like any logical musician, and get out there, even start playing in toilet gigs and work your way up.

seriously, i know you all want to be the "i don't suck up to muse, i'm not a fanboy/girl lol that's for kids." grow the fuck up, appreciate everyone ain't as talented and bloody stop thinking that matt isn't as good as the norm, of course he is. that's why he is a modern rock icon, like it or not.l

:facepalm:

I'm just saying anyone can learn to play guitar and anyone who does do so can easily learn to play Muse's material. What has that got to do with my ability to write riffs to what I want to do musically? Plus people have had sex to stuff I've wrote for starters.

I'm not saying Matt is a bad guitarist or "unworthy" of the "guitar hero" status, because he was one of the guitarists that made me want to get a guitar in the first place, but a "guitar hero" in that context has to be accessible.

And I'm not saying Hendrix wasn't great, just he wasn't big in the 60's at all, the decade was far from what it is portrayed as today. He was mostly famous at the time for Hey Joe and Voodoo Chile was released after he died.

Archived