Simulation Theory Tour CD/DVD

lewislimes

Ah, finally it is 21-8. Could not go to the IMAX film last monday, bummer. 

Now i"m waiting for the availability on google play (nothing yet), but I much prefer a DVD/Blue Ray.

I was disappointed by the pre order offers... 140 or 500 euro's? Why? I'd rather save that amount for future live gigs.

9 hours ago, JessicaSarahS said:

I feel like it’s been forever since I’ve been to a show. This was a really nice mental getaway, especially with dealing with social distancing, the fires here in Napa, etc. Looking forward to watching this again. 🥳

I just realised this week that it has been almost a year since I was in London at the O2. I do miss planning to go to Muse gigs since then... Hopefully that will be possible in the next future.

• Like 1

Just watched the iTunes release in 4K and 5.1. 

Awesome picture on my OLED and amazing sound through my Sonos system. 

really enjoyed the narrative aspect  

Only negative is that the audio sync is inconsistent through out the movie. Sometimes it’s perfectly in sync and others Doms drumming in particular is out of sync. It’s inconsistent too, sometimes ahead of the beat and others late. 

it’s a shame that editors never seem to be able to get this right. 

And it’s not my system, my system is perfectly aligned. 

great watch though 

- SPOILERS IN GENERAL -

Finally watched it. It was actually a pretty enjoyable little cheesy movie. I enjoyed the rather ridiculous narrative to complement the actual snippets of narrative that I saw on the stage.

The editing, as far as the band shots were concerned, were fine. I didn't like the slow motion but for the most part it was straightfoward edits which is welcome after Rome's constant showing-off for a non-existent 4k release and Drones' need to make artificial shakes on every kick drum. It helps the stage design was just beautiful and a little color correcting makes the stage pop even more. Makes me regret even more we never got a film for the Resistance stadium tour. How might it have looked with the same filming...

The narrative intercuts during  the songs were a hit or miss for me. Personally, I would have liked to just have seen the band play but I also knew this wasn't just a concert recording and was also finishing up their whole Simulation Theory narrative. When it was present but not too intrusive it was fine, like during Thought Contagion. Some other times I could have done with less of it. Maybe the biggest offender was during Supermassive Black Hole where there's a long panning shot of a CGI arcade machine with the actual footage you want to see in the display window, reduced to only 5% of the screen.

But anyways, the benefit of them playing (almost) the same show everywhere is that I can always go to the Rock in Rio or Argentina show recordings if I want no narrative.

I wish they didn't chop up the metal medley since it's a collection of chopped up songs already. It is mostly on digital release so I don't think a bit of extra time wouldn't hurt (same with Knights). The whole final showdown against Murph was good fun though. The whole conflict also created a wonderfully unintentionally comic moment after Take A Bow where the narrator asks something like "who will the challenger be" and it's Matt standing awkwardly in his light up suit. Like I was half hoping she'd say "nah, can't be this guy".

• Like 2

Is the amazon version of deluxe box set the same as the .mu one? Seems weird that theirs a £30 price difference for what I'm assuming is the same product. 

Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Simulation-Theory-Deluxe-Blu-ray-Cassette/dp/B08FKQNLFH/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=muse+simulation+theory&qid=1598272082&sr=8-1

Edited by lew99

I really enjoyed the ST movie immensely, which I bought on Amazon Prime... it was done ever so well.  I do hope that this will see a non-retro, non super deluxe release though ... the cassette tape and vinyl “content” is interesting but both these formats are pretty useless in our household, so the box set would just be a bulky and expensive toy really. Fingers crossed for a CD or MP3 release of the soundtrack etc etc

• Like 1

I really enjoyed it, especially the way they’ve tied the whole narrative together and it makes “sense” having seen the live show a few times. I guess with the quality of cameras out there the band have tried to do something different as there’s so much fan footage available on Youtube now.

I get that the box sets also tie-in with the whole theme of the tour and the 80s vibe, but seems like its pretty expensive for what it is. Maybe i’m just getting old though 😃 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mikeyadams said:

I get that the box sets also tie-in with the whole theme of the tour and the 80s vibe, but seems like its pretty expensive for what it is. Maybe i’m just getting old though 😃 

Funny how when you're young spending your entire life savings on something like that makes more sense than spending just a fraction of your income on it when you're older. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Cause you value things differently? 
this time it is too expensive for me for what you get. I‘d like to have the movie, maybe the soundtrack but not necessarily.

btw, nobody is talking about the first festival appearance next year, in Austria? What are your thoughts about it?

Edited by Claudia O

Glad I spent £4:50 renting this rather than spending £100+ on tickets and travel . Simulation Theory pretty much stands as an indictment on Muse's stadium tours. It just seems like more effort went into Matt's jacket design than the music itself.  

So many songs are now just Matt walking around stage pretending to be a popstar. Matt does really have zero stage presence when his guitar is removed. Watching Matt slap hands with the front row while being minded by his handler is just next level cringe you'd expect from your one directions of the world. 

The visuals here are just boring as well. When Matt finally does something cool with his guitar, the camera is more interested in the stage extras doing distracting coordinated dance moves. Also Murph looked so inanimate in this movie, I've seen a few YouTube clips where we seemed to move with more fluidity. Not sure why this is letterboxed either, a Muse show is something where you want to use the whole screen. This probably should have been 60 FPS to give a bit more motion. And I really hope they didn't spend too much money on cgi Matt Bellamy pretending to be Harry Potter taking on Murph because that looked fake and cringe as shit. And somehow they want people to fork out £120 for a package with extra tat. I can't help but think of Muse as business people rather than musicians. 

One enjoyable part was he video for the Void  because there was no visuals, no dancers and no fucking backing tracks. 

• Like 2

+1 to all of that. All style, no substance any more. The mix is atrocious too, why is the volume so inconsistent? It sounds like every time the bass comes in, the volume of every other instrument kicks up a notch too, with the bass disappearing. The cymbals are almost unlistenably trebly too. I barely got to the end of Psycho before I had a headache from the cymbal crashes. You can barely hear Matt's guitar in Break It To Me either.

Muse used to be exciting with minimal bells and whistles. Now they've got every bell and whistle they want, yet the shows are duller than they've ever been. I, for one, am delighted the dire Simulation Theory era is over. The boxset absolutely takes the piss too.

Burn it all down. Start again.

• Like 2

Ok, just watched it. 
Do I like it? 🤔 Yes and no. 
Can I get my hands on the gig-only as well, pleeeaaazzeeee! Call me old-fashioned ... 

It must have been strange for Muse when Covid-19 started ! If they thought about not releasing it this year? Some of the onstage-films make sense now, but I often thought about what if we knew the story - until Matts battle with Murph - BEFORE the gigs? And to see the battle on-screen then, at the gig? 🤔😁 Matt the saviour, well Idk .... 

I‘m no fan of slo-mo during concert films, too ! There was a lot of editing going on on the sound, vocals, instruments I think. I enjoyed The Void a lot, and the Metal-medley of course, strangely shortened. I didn‘t miss KOC. 

all in all, it‘s no „The Wall“ and I prefer concerts in pro-shot. 

SO I've not been able to get on here in like 2/3 months (have they changed the url? I feel like that's what was going wrong), soz boys, though it still looks dead on here anyways. I've actually been forced to subject myself to the Reddit page. Major shudders and it is a hellscape, please send help asap.

Really liked the film tbh, surprised to see y'all not liking it. I'd have preferred just straight footage as usual, since it looked and sounded great imo, but at least it was something different. Not exactly Citizen Kane but it was always just gonna be a goofy, light-hearted bit of fun. No Knights or TIRO is one of the biggest wins for humanity in recent times. Could've done with some more shots of the crowd imo, that weren't cut from different songs to make things look more moshy as well lmao. Just felt a bit distant at times, like you forgot they were there. Good camera work, didn't mind the occasional slo-mo at all, certainly nowhere near as annoying as the black and white from Rome. Adored Sim Theory and really enjoyed the tour so it was a nice send off for me.

Oh and the boxset is daylight robbery and even I won't be suckered into paying for it.

On 8/26/2020 at 8:28 PM, Silentgod86 said:

Glad I spent £4:50 renting this rather than spending £100+ on tickets and travel . Simulation Theory pretty much stands as an indictment on Muse's stadium tours. It just seems like more effort went into Matt's jacket design than the music itself.  

So many songs are now just Matt walking around stage pretending to be a popstar. Matt does really have zero stage presence when his guitar is removed. Watching Matt slap hands with the front row while being minded by his handler is just next level cringe you'd expect from your one directions of the world. 

The visuals here are just boring as well. When Matt finally does something cool with his guitar, the camera is more interested in the stage extras doing distracting coordinated dance moves. Also Murph looked so inanimate in this movie, I've seen a few YouTube clips where we seemed to move with more fluidity. Not sure why this is letterboxed either, a Muse show is something where you want to use the whole screen. This probably should have been 60 FPS to give a bit more motion. And I really hope they didn't spend too much money on cgi Matt Bellamy pretending to be Harry Potter taking on Murph because that looked fake and cringe as shit. And somehow they want people to fork out £120 for a package with extra tat. I can't help but think of Muse as business people rather than musicians. 

One enjoyable part was he video for the Void  because there was no visuals, no dancers and no fucking backing tracks. 

Can things really be cringe if they're not even slightly sincere though? The whole thing seemed very self-aware and tongue-in-cheek from the beginning to me.

Surprised you think the show/tour was so shit. Muse have been a band going for visually impressive shows for almost 15 years now and this setup was one of the best in that regard. The dancers weren't intrusive at all imo, unlike the weird and out-of-place actors in 2013, thought they added a cool and fitting visual element when they were present. Think that's harsh on Matt's stage presence as well, he's always been a 'less talk, more visual flair' frontman and that's still the case, just in a different way since he can't really throw himself around or dye his hair mad colours at 40+. More hands-free stuff is nothing new so I'm not sure why that'd still be a complaint now and I actually think the barrier walk's a really nice moment, as someone who's been on it a bunch of times at this point. Security is also pretty necessary from some of the crazies I've seen who take things too far. 

What‘s srong with being 40+ 🧐 I mean, I know some ppl who still do crazy things - as if dying your hair is crazy, but ok ... I‘m 44 myself .. we are human too! And crazy sometimes 😁

seems I‘m too old for Reddit, it looks like an old-fashioned place. This DOS-style - folders,  subfolders I mean c‘mon 🤣 nobody will see me there .. 

Edited by Claudia O

1 hour ago, Claudia O said:

What‘s srong with being 40+ 🧐 I mean, I know some ppl who still do crazy things - as if dying your hair is crazy, but ok ... I‘m 44 myself .. we are human too! And crazy sometimes 😁

seems I‘m too old for Reddit, itblooks like an old-fashioned place. This DOS-style - folders,  subfolders I mean c‘mon 🤣 nobody will see me there .. 

More talking about Matt specifically, course anyone can do what they want however old they. Just doesn’t seem in his character anymore (would be interested to be proven wrong tho) and iirc jumping around with his old heavier guitars understandably wrecked his back (not permanently but y’know, wasn’t nice) and that’s why a lot of them are lightened nowadays.

Edited by Jobby

I know 😉 Somewhere, I think it was in one of his rare Twitter-answering -sessions, he said he feels too old for dying his hair red, or something like that. His guitars are much lighter now, yes! 🙃 He still jumps with his guitars, but not like in earlier days.. I‘d love to see Starlight and Uprising with guitar more often! 

Guys, I'm the only one waiting, when will the blue ray film be announced? I am not rich and I do not need jackets and other paraphernalia that are in Deluxe box edition, I have 5.1 acoustics and I want to get the maximum quality of Blu ray. Do you have any information? I'm very concerned that they haven't done it yet.

Edited by musefans

Could not believe it's on You Tube,that's saved some money ,not a patch on the Rome DVD , but it's good not great , maybe it will grow on me , not a fan of the storyline , just want to watch a concert , if it's released on Blu ray I will buy it for my collection , but glad I didn't travel 30 miles to watch at the cinema,  for me 7 out of 10 .

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2020 at 11:48 AM, Claudia O said:

It‘s on youtube!!

hm, sometimes Matts vocals seem so far away, quiet 🤔 but excellent picture quality, yes the cymbals are a bit annoying during Psycho .. ears ARE ringing 😕  overall, good movie. Sound could be better, I‘m sure!

Can't find it there. pretty annoying to not be able to purchase the digital version yet. But I'll wait patiently...