The Art of Good Songwriting/Composition

Maneachicken

Same, I've been experimenting with this lately.

While we're at it, what does everyone use as a digital music program? (something like Garageband, but not as sucky). Is Reason good?

If you want to make electronic music (It doesn't do audio or run 3rd party plugins) and other software seems a bit confusing as you're used to using hardware, then Reason is decent enough.

Haze or anyone with decent recording chops around here.. what would be the best piece of software for me to download in order to EQ tracks in a mix?

Basically I multi-track everything in Audacity at the moment, so have tonnes of wav files, that I could do with exporting into something else, or alternatively using some kind of plug in to EQ them, so I can mix on a parameter other than volume...

Reaper, its free for a while (you can use it after the 30 days trial, i don't even know why it is called a trial), stuff is small and it comes with the basic mixing VSTs if you don't have any, like ReaEQ, ReaComp, etc. As an added bonus, they aint shit. I tried some Waves plugins along side them and it is not like i noticed some über difference apart from the reverb which only can Waves get semi-right, but i didn't tried every plugins available.

Waves is overrated these days anyway, plugins have come on a lot since they were a necessity. UAD is where it's at.

Haze or anyone with decent recording chops around here.. what would be the best piece of software for me to download in order to EQ tracks in a mix?

Basically I multi-track everything in Audacity at the moment, so have tonnes of wav files, that I could do with exporting into something else, or alternatively using some kind of plug in to EQ them, so I can mix on a parameter other than volume...

Probably Propellerhead Record, it's an emulation of an SSL mixing desk basically, so might be easier to get to grips with compared to others.

Waves is overrated these days anyway, plugins have come on a lot since they were a necessity. UAD is where it's at.

Probably Propellerhead Record, it's an emulation of an SSL mixing desk basically, so might be easier to get to grips with compared to others.

Thank you man, I'll have a look at that, I just want something straightforward to start with, before I dabble in anything offputtingly complex!

Archived