Muse borrowing from themselves...?

...no...

I can't hear system of a down and QotsA in the song!

only muse, queen and middle east influence

but the song isn't one of my favs at al so I don't care

I immediately thought of Queen when I heard United States of Eurasia's refrain. It sounds VERY Queen-esque. Nothing wrong with that, though.

And a lot of posts here are so generic you could call every song ever made a "rip-off" or "laziness" because they both have the note D in it. Western music has its limitations. There are bound to be some songs, or some parts, that sounds like each other. Muse is experimenting very much, which is fantastic, and they have some great non-Anglo-American songs like City of Delusion, Hoodoo and Knights of Cydonia, and also of course United States of Eurasia, the latter being my favourite. I wish they would do more Eastern influenced music, so they can make it soundable and available for us spoiled Western brats. :p

By the way, the refrain in Unnatural Selection (from "They'll laugh as they...") reminds me of some other song I don't know the name of, not by Muse, and it also reminds me of the refrain in Thoughts of a Dying Atheist. XD

I immediately thought of Queen when I heard United States of Eurasia's refrain. It sounds VERY Queen-esque. Nothing wrong with that, though.

And a lot of posts here are so generic you could call every song ever made a "rip-off" or "laziness" because they both have the note D in it. Western music has its limitations. There are bound to be some songs, or some parts, that sounds like each other. Muse is experimenting very much, which is fantastic, and they have some great non-Anglo-American songs like City of Delusion, Hoodoo and Knights of Cydonia, and also of course United States of Eurasia, the latter being my favourite. I wish they would do more Eastern influenced music, so they can make it soundable and available for us spoiled Western brats. :p

By the way, the refrain in Unnatural Selection (from "They'll laugh as they...") reminds me of some other song I don't know the name of, not by Muse, and it also reminds me of the refrain in Thoughts of a Dying Atheist. XD

true

even wikipedia says:

Voor het nummer United States of Eurasia (+ Collateral Damage), dat sterke Queeninvloeden kent en eindigt met Chopin, verstopte de band USB-sticks in een aantal grote steden over de hele wereld. Bij elke USB-stick die gevonden werd onthulde de band een nieuw deel van het nummer.

they should have placed guiding light before USE because it has really catchy drums like we will rock you.

To add on to the original thread, there is a lot of moments in Muse songs when I hear something and and realise this on thing is used in another song by Muse. For example there is a prt in Spial Static which sounds exactly the same as another part of a Muse song, but I havent figured out which one yet...:)

And also I think that the piano beginning of USoE sounds a bit like the last part of Cave around 3:40

The breakdown of assassin's "Grand Omega Bosses" edit sounds a lot like the "Prelude" they used to play together with the early butterflies and hurricanes piano solo before Screenager.

Grand Omega Bosses edit of Assassin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWe4eRz_3pg

"Prelude":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03dP4rNvhc0

Either that, or I'm worse at chords than I give myself credit for. :p

The "Grand Omega Bosses" edit of Assassin's breakdown sounds a lot like the "Prelude" they used to play together with the early butterflies and hurricanes piano solo before Screenager.

Grand Omega Bosses edit of Assassin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWe4eRz_3pg

"Prelude":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03dP4rNvhc0

Either that, or I'm worse at chords than I give myself credit for. :p

Well, it isn't Muse's creation anyway, neither of them.

• 4 years later...

You. I like you. I totally agree they should play more ethnic scales.

In The Handler guitar solo riff on Instagram, I notated it out and it appears to be in A harmonic minor. Even if I'm wrong, it's a harmonic minor key... or Phrygian Dominant, just starting on the 4th.

Harmonic minor keys have a 'Middle-eastern' sound to them due to their augmented second interval from the 6th to the 7th tones.

Their flamenco stuff is amazing too. Nature_1 with that 'beach' / flamenco style riff.

Ahh it's all refreshing for us Westerners. :LOL: Quite sad, really, how the majority of the Western population stick to simple major, minor chord progressions and scales. Then again, our ears have been conditioned to follow and like these scales mostly.

If you listen to the intro's, is it just me or does the guitar in MK Ultra sound a bit like the bass in Hysteria? Don't know how to say it exactly, i´m not a musical genius :LOL:

Rhythm-wise, MK Ultra is based more on groupings of 3s for syncopation, whereas Hysteria is based more on a paradiddle sort of rhythm (01001011 - used numbers and not R or L because anybody not a drummer would understand that better haha i think, otherwise, RLRRLRLL).

I think MK Ultra is playing arpeggios, and Hysteria playing along the actual scale. I may be wrong here, though.

There is clear difference, though.

You. I like you. I totally agree .

It's so refreshing to see such a positive comment! Good on yer.

I love the songs in minor keys. And also the use of chromatic sequences. Plus Take A Bow in three time beat instead of generic 4/4. This sort of stuff make Muse more interesting musically than generic rock bands.

But... what's a paradiddle???? !!

Archived