HomesickSubterranean

Muse borrowing from themselves...?

welcome to the world of commercial music

Are you implying that AP and SfA are commercial?

(I honestly can't tell)

(I honestly can't tell)

More like Muse does commercial music.

Don't know if I'm right, but I always thought that the Unnatural-Selection-Riff sounds like a recycled early Futurism-riff...

(I honestly can't tell)

Yes they are. Sing For Absolution was released as a single for starters. :facepalm:

More like Muse does commercial music.

Opposed to...non commercial music? They do have to make money after all. If it was non-commercial it would be the first minute of Mars Volta songs for the entire album, which no-one except people on this forum would buy.

Opposed to...non commercial music? They do have to make money after all. If it was non-commercial it would be the first minute of Mars Volta songs for the entire album, which no-one except people on this forum would buy.

You have to be kidding? :LOL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGzrL8J0t-c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcEle_5uRQI

Now that's "uncommercial" :happy:

Oh and before someone mentions the second one was used in Skins, it's based in Bristol and Gabba/Breakcore/IDM are common at clubs like the Lakota, Blue Mountain, Black Swan etc and they try and reflect all that in the music they use.

Now that's "uncommercial" :happy:

well those were interesting... I still don't understand why people would buy the first song, and the second one only because of its inability to be attached to any major label.

I don't see what you are arguing against.There is no need for a discussion here. Muse makes commercial music, and music definitely doesn't have to be commercial to sell.

But commercial music makes Muse bigger, it is what we are expecting from our favourite band, isn't it ?

I don't see what you are arguing against.There is no need for a discussion here. Muse makes commercial music, and music definitely doesn't have to be commercial to sell.

I think he's trying to say that Muse are not commercial like the manufactured shit like Cheryl Cole.

well those were interesting... I still don't understand why people would buy the first song, and the second one only because of its inability to be attached to any major label.

I don't think people who make noise music are intending it to sell, but Merzbow is definitely an experience live, really uncomfortable and so far from a typical rock show.

Even "classical" music has extremes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7sJwiZhdvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0aeagbZBRs

I think he's trying to say that Muse are not commercial like the manufactured shit like Cheryl Cole.

Really? From what I could gather he/she said that Muse needed to be commercial on order to make a living.

Really? From what I could gather he/she said that Muse needed to be commercial on order to make a living.

I don't know. It was a half arsed attempt of an interpretion.

+ I don't think they do, but how commercial is commercial?

This.

When someone mentioned commercial music they were talking about reusing chords to try to sell out and make more money, so if you aren't ever going to use chords or anything with musical theory, then you mine as well be doodling around making something like the "uncommercial" music that has just been posted, but not expecting to become a successful band that people would listen to or buy music from. Commercial music in my opinion is something that a person would buy, which doesn't make it bad or even "pop"

This.

When someone mentioned commercial music they were talking about reusing chords to try to sell out and make more money, so if you aren't ever going to use chords or anything with musical theory, then you mine as well be doodling around making something like the "uncommercial" music that has just been posted, but not expecting to become a successful band that people would listen to or buy music from. Commercial music in my opinion is something that a person would buy, which doesn't make it bad or even "pop"

You didn't seem to get the point, which was that no one complained about Muse being commercial, and no one definitely said anything about selling out. Muse ARE commercial, that's the only thing we said.

I'd say commercial would involve a lot of radio airplay, tv adverts, high singles/albums chartings, many magazine interviews/photo shoots, etc...

The more of that, the more commercial, and visa versa.

Did anyone see the Muse advert that went out back in february, I think, in which 4 Muse albums were collectively being advertised at the same time? The only other band i've seen that happen with was Kings of Leon. On the TV anyways. Thats serious commercial there.

So minimum wage? Or keep making more money after the addiction of earning more and more kicks in, and making boring overproduced clean cut songs to do it?

oh and...

Pre-TR songs live > TR songs live

Also, there is a brief sequence in Redemption that, I imagine, Matt subconciously took from another symphony, though I can't recall the name/composer of the piece.

The intro of Redemption is similar to Beethoven's Piano Sonata No.8 in C Minor. I'm not sure if this is what you were thinking of, but I noticed it immediately when I heard Redemption. I'm not complaining because they went another direction with it, thus creating a new experience for listeners.

Also, I lacked the patience to read all the posts in the topic, so please forgive me if this post is redundant. I just guessed fans of the rock and roll music wouldn't listen to much classical music and felt special for, maybe, knowing something others didn't.

I'm strange and proud of it.

Exactly, not for fans anymore, for money :)