Muse borrowing from themselves...?

I've read a few things about Muse reusing a lot of their parts in newer songs, but I haven't heard too much. I mean there's some reusing, like in Citizen Erased at around 5:24, which sounds remarkably like Resistance. ;)

But is there any other examples of things like this? I'm curious because I've seen it mentioned quite a few times.

I also found something in a Radiohead song that Muse either also used by coincidence or borrowed, but I'm not gonna post that as I'll be shot. :p

Disclaimer: Muse and Radiohead are my favorite bands. I hate neither.

I've read a few things about Muse reusing a lot of their parts in newer songs, but I haven't heard too much. I mean there's some reusing, like in Citizen Erased at around 5:24, which sounds remarkably like Resistance. ;)

But is there any other examples of things like this? I'm curious because I've seen it mentioned quite a few times.

I also found something in a Radiohead song that Muse either also used by coincidence or borrowed, but I'm not gonna post that as I'll be shot. :p

Disclaimer: Muse and Radiohead are my favorite bands. I hate neither.

Regarding CE and Resistance, they are both about/influenced by 1984 so that could be the reason why Matt decided to recycle his own song. As for any other examples, like Bluefish mentioned, Unnatural Selection's main riff does have a New Born vibe going on, but I think those two are the only truly noticeable reuse of past songs.

Seeing as this has become a Muse-ripping-Radiohead thread... :p

- Hyper Chondriac Music, effects included, sounds like Bullet Proof... I Wish I Was.

- At 0:19 in Overdue, the riff resembles that of Creep.

Also, there is a brief sequence in Redemption that, I imagine, Matt subconciously took from another symphony, though I can't recall the name/composer of the piece.

As far as Muse recycling their own material, the bass riff from Assassin and the closing riff of Knights are pretty similar.

Regarding CE and Resistance, they are both about/influenced by 1984 so that could be the reason why Matt decided to recycle his own song. As for any other examples, like Bluefish mentioned, Unnatural Selection's main riff does have a New Born vibe going on, but I think those two are the only truly noticeable reuse of past songs.

I can't hear the similarity between these songs myself, but it's not unlikely that there will be unconscious similarities between songs since the inspiration and ideas come from the same people.

Unnatural Selection references quite a few songs. It opens with an organ, similar to Megalomania. It has the New Bord esque riff and a Space Dementia break down.

Apparently the piano piece in Cross-Pollination might be taken directly from Butterflies & Hurricanes too.

Glorious - "faith it drives me away"

My iron lung - "faith, you're driving me away"

:p

plus, undisclosed and guiding light have virtually the same bassline in parts.

C

Guiding light - C C C C C C

C

Undiclosed - C C C C

Fail on bassline example, but i hope you know what i mean :p

I haven't found that many, the only thing I have noticed is the similarities between NB and US riffs. I tried looking for the other stuff mentioned in this thread, but I just don't see (hear?) it. :unsure:

Apocalypse Please and Sing for Absolution have the same primary rhythm in the bass line with:

du du, *rest* du *rest* du *rest* du du du... ect.

I don't know if that counts as "reusing" or "borrowing" since they're on the same album. :erm:

Regarding CE and Resistance, they are both about/influenced by 1984 so that could be the reason why Matt decided to recycle his own song.

Or he is just plain running out of ideas.....and TR is a testament to that theory. Exogenesis? That's a BHAR maybe pre-BHAR idea.

Or he is just plain running out of ideas.....and TR is a testament to that theory. Exogenesis? That's a BHAR maybe pre-BHAR idea.

No shit. He's been writing it since OoS.

And why's everyone comparing to Radiohead? They're a different... Oh wait...

i find the structure of space dimentia and apocalypse please ot have the same core structure.

sing for a apocalypse has the bass rythme

any muse song (nearly everyone) that include a bass line that shifts and octave up or down

i find the structure of space dimentia and apocalypse please ot have the same core structure.

any muse song (nearly everyone) that include a bass line that shifts and octave up or down

welcome to the world of commercial music

Noticed this too, don't half sound catchy though :)

Archived