Why do people hate Exo-Politics?

Yeah, most of it boils down to the disappointment when compared to the Burning Bandits version. That, and I guess it's not exactly the most compelling Muse song. I still enjoy it, I'm a slut for almost anything related to Black Holes though so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sounded pretty guff live back in 2006 but I'd be well up for seeing it nowadays, if Matt could sing it.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Amazing :LOL:

They're played on the HAARP DVD...

(Btw I actually did use search and found this thread, idk why I made a new thread :stunned:)

I assumed you meant actually seen them live because otherwise you can just search for it on YouTube and find several performances.

Yeah, most of it boils down to the disappointment when compared to the Burning Bandits version. That, and I guess it's not exactly the most compelling Muse song. I still enjoy it, I'm a slut for almost anything related to Black Holes though so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sounded pretty guff live back in 2006 but I'd be well up for seeing it nowadays, if Matt could sing it.

Amazing :LOL:

Similar to Assassin and Crying Shame in a way - good early version but the version that came out didn't really work as well. But I do think its got a cool groove. Reminds me a little of YCHISMB Franz Ferdinand. I'm much more into it than a while back.

I think I remember hearing that Exo-Politics interview a while. Classic. :chuckle:

I assumed you meant actually seen them live because otherwise you can just search for it on YouTube and find several performances.

I can now say that I've seen the likes of Futurism, Showbiz, Space Dementia, Ruled By Secrecy et cetera live :LOL:

Not bad going :p

• 11 months later...

I love the intro with Dom's drums. Really gets me into the song. I also really like the guitar solo.

If I were you I wouldn't get caught up on how much other people in the community like certain songs, if anything it's just gonna make people triggered :LOL:

• 2 weeks later...
It's mostly the lyrics in the studio version are lacking after hearing the original, imo. I've always liked the way the song sounds, but been less than thrilled with the lyrics.

The build up was better in the original, as well.

Agreed.

It's a similar story to Crying Shame - the live demo was epic, really dark, and then the studio version just sounded clownish.

I was 'lucky' enough to see it live at the Nottingham gig where they played BHaR in full. Trust me, it wasn't great. Seem to remember Matt fluffed some of the lyrics.

The intro is naff in my opinion with just the guitar, it should start with the bass. I just find it a very stodgy song that does nothing, and goes nowhere. It's a poor cousin of Eternally Missed. And as for the lyrics...

It's amazing how they managed to ruin all four of the songs that they previewed live.

- Glorious is ok on record but let down by the overdone production and layers of annoyingly jangly guitars at the beginning and end.

- Crying Shame - I've no idea what they were doing with that rhythmn and riff on the recorded version. The early live version was so much darker and more powerful, the recorded version just sounds silly.

- Assassin, I hate the jarring intro and getting rid of the middle section was sacrilege. Grand Omega Bosses recorded version would be ok if it didn't have all those extra annoying noises.

Agreed a lot. They really did ruin those songs. I felt like all of them fitted more into the Abso era than they did the BH&R era, which had a very different feel.

That said, they did a great job with songs like Take A Bow, Map and City Of Delusion so it's a doubled-edged thing really.

Crying Shame is probably the most they've fucked up a song. The original riff already suited BH&R perfectly, but then they turned it into a joke.

and what happened to that great falsetto melody?

Crying Shame was one that I heard the album version first for some reason, and was like "wtf is this surfer rock bs?" Honestly, at first I was positive it was a cover.

Was really disappointed upon hearing the earlier live versions, because that intro is fabulous.

Seriously, what the hell was going through their minds when they made that change?

I also remember an interview where Matt said the new songs at those gigs (Crying Shame and Glorious) "went over like a tonne of bricks" and still wonder if that's where the whole thing starting to go wrong with the gigs...

Weren't those early live versions of Crying Shame poorly received at the time though? Seem to remember hearing that fans were originally bummed out when they heard it was planned as the lead single for the next album. Always thought the early Glorious performances (is there more than one out there? cannae remember) were ropey af as well so maybe he wasn't wrong :chuckle:

I know that whole kerfuffle is what put them off debuting new songs before recording though.

If they were going to change them so much, I'd say it was a good decision instead of pissing people off when the album version was inevitably a let down from the version people got to know.

However, bitching and moaning that people aren't raging and singing along to a brand new, unreleased song is pretty stupid...

If they were going to change them so much, I'd say it was a good decision instead of pissing people off when the album version was inevitably a let down from the version people got to know.

However, bitching and moaning that people aren't raging and singing along to a brand new, unreleased song is pretty stupid...

Yeah it's a risk, if you play something before having it down on record then it is not a concrete article and subject to change.....it might as well be a live jam or improvisation. And it is a fair point that a lot of the audience is probably just there expecting to hear the hits they already know.

A bit different if everything is already recorded/mixed/mastered and ready to be released the next week like some bands preview their albums to build hype. But if you are still playing around with the song at the same time as performing it then you do risk disappointing some fans if it changes.

There are some bits of those early versions that I think they did improve. Like the drums on Assassin (I think the early version 'jungle' drumming is a bit naff and doesn't have the signature drum fill) and they definitely improved the structure for that one, regardless of the lack of middle section. But the Crying Shame riff is....well a crying shame.

Archived