Muse technical ability?....

Alizarin C

So I was wondering (not being a musician myself) for those of you who are musicians or know about instruments in a technical way..... what is each of Muse's best (technically best) songs (Matt-guitar, Matt-piano, Chris-bass, Dom-drums). I love 95% of their songs, but technically I haven't got a clue which songs are real standouts in that way. I'm curious to know some opinions.

:happy:

I play guitar. And in terms of technical skill, I don't think any songs are really SUPER technical, but Matt certainly has a definite unique style which often gets interpreted as him being 'pro' at guitar. He is a 'good' guitarist, but his 'technical' skill isn't all that amazing.

I'd say the most 'technical' songs in terms of guitar are:

Stockholm Syndrome

Plug in Baby

New Born

MK Ultra

Hyper Music

Hysteria

Knights of Cydonia (?)

Really though, none of their songs are have extremely technical elements in terms of guitar playing.

For matt's guitar, it's the live nuances that make it amazing.

If you just listen/play the studio versions it's not terribly hard, but if you've seen live performances, especially the older less orchestrated ones, some of the arpeggios, riffs, and techniques he mixes in are quite hendrix. And when also consider the innovations he's made with the manson, (such as the built in kaoss pad and fuzz factory) you've got one kickass guitarist ;)

as for his vocals, on the resistance particularly, they are out of this world.

here's some guitar luvin':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5yXxUQptP0

there's no denying that matt's one if the greatest/most talented performers of all time :D

I play piano, and I'd have to say that the most technically complicated songs Matt plays on piano are the ones with the obvious classical references:

Neutron Star Collision (the outro is pretty hard to play, lots of octaves in both hands)

Exogenisis part 2

Sunburn (with all the extra arpeggiating in background of the song)

Butterflies and Hurricanes

Collateral Damage (which is just a Chopin cover, basically)

Piano Thing

But a lot of Matt's piano bits like in MoTP and Starlight are pretty easy to learn, and even the main piano riff of USoE isn't that hard to play if your hands are an octave wide :happy:

I play piano.

Erm... for the most part I find most Muse songs easy to at least reasonable, the main challenging thing is that there's a lot of octaves/big chords and Matt's addicted to arpeggios, but he also usually plays the latter with two hands so it's never terrible. :p

For the most part I agree with Hopix about Matt having a unique style that sounds impressive, but not really being a "technical" player.

Anyway...

Butterflies and Hurricanes: the rhythm is a bit insane and requires loads of endurance (or maybe I'm just playing it wrong...) to keep up through the whole song... basically making the solo the easiest part and a nice break tbh. :LOL:

And the intro and outro of Exogenesis Part 2 is technically challenging... very tricky.

and the French part in IBTY.

• 4 years later...
Butterflies and Hurricanes: the rhythm is a bit insane and requires loads of endurance (or maybe I'm just playing it wrong...) to keep up through the whole song... basically making the solo the easiest part and a nice break tbh. :LOL:

I realize this thread has been dead for literally five years, but I just had to comment on how accurate this is. How the hell Matt manages to keep up those double-taps with the right hand is beyond me. I've played classical piano for fourteen years and I can't finish the damn song.

And you're totally right, the solo isn't even all that technically difficult; it's just a matter of rolling your fingers over the keys and then moving up an octave and doing the same thing. What's far more impressive to me is the compositional ability required to come up with it.

What amazes me about Bellamy is his ability to switch from keys to guitar and back and make very few mistakes, oh, and sing while he's doing it all. I play guitar and though he's no Buckethead, Satriani, Vai, or Bonamassa, he's very polished and entertains quite well while holding down the rhthyms and singing. Bellamy is a true artist. Also, overshadowed by Bellamy's performing, Chris and Dom are quite good at what they do as well and the band is tight. They have obviously put in thousands of hours of rehearsal and performing in order to play at their level.

I realize this thread has been dead for literally five years, but I just had to comment on how accurate this is. How the hell Matt manages to keep up those double-taps with the right hand is beyond me. I've played classical piano for fourteen years and I can't finish the damn song..

Without wanting to be rude, I suggest you practice harder if after 14 years you still have trouble with that :p

I play the guitar. The main reason for me to start learning to play the guitar was predictably Muse. Now I can play almost all of their songs except for few that I don't like very much.

The guitar parts are not at all difficult to play. Even Reapers the solo in which I consider to be the most sophisticated guitar work by Bellamy is pretty easy and can be easily learned if you have no problems with basic guitar technique like alternate picking,bends, hammer-ons and pull-offs.

What is really tricky is playing and singing at the same time. Or playing and running all around the stadium. Matt somehow manages to do incredible things with his guitar and make only occasional mistakes... singing and not losing the rhythm.

This is why Matt is so cool)

Really, Chris is amazing. I don't play much bass, but he has so much range. The Globalist with all its different sections is one song that shows him off a bit. Obviously Hysteria as well. Resistance has a great bass line. He is the saving grace of so many songs it's insane.

Matt wrote the bassline for Hysteria

Archived