xy pad via midi

JJ

you can use the kaoss pad to control a whammy anyway, it has a midi output, so just make the kaoss in your guitar in a similar way to phil (or however you want) and the put a midi cable between the KP2 and the whammy (digitech?), you can then control the expression of the whammy with the kaoss. cool eh?

thing is, you wouldnt want to put an entire kaoss pad into a guitar, if you wanted to have the pad in you need to remove the XY pad part and get rid of all the junk and re-route the midi output to go in your guitar with the pad, leaving the rest of the circuits inside the large kaoss pad shell

why fucking route for something you prolly will get bored of, just stick it behind your bridge. then it'll look like a transformerguitar.

telecasters, guitars in disguise? no.lol. i`ll put the kp2 on a stool next to my mic, board etc.

• 1 year later...
There are a few videos I've seen on the 'Toob of a guy who rigged up his own XY pad, do a search for those if they help :)

No way this guy did not just try and rip off scottish patter....the way he says toob am probably guessin hes american.....

.......eejit!

I have managed to get a pad from a KP1 and a hold button to send midi (via a microcontroller) to a KP3. It can be done!

I still have to play with the code a touch though to smooth the x/y pad signal and program an intelligent LED to respond to touch pad output. And I have yet to put it all into a guitar, but my guitar is on it's way, pre routed for my pad.

I'll post more info when it's all sorted.

Gareth

I have managed to get a pad from a KP1 and a hold button to send midi (via a microcontroller) to a KP3. It can be done!

I still have to play with the code a touch though to smooth the x/y pad signal and program an intelligent LED to respond to touch pad output. And I have yet to put it all into a guitar, but my guitar is on it's way, pre routed for my pad.

Gareth

If you get this working properly then you will be crowned a legend forever among the muse community.

Gareth

are you trying to make the pad controll an external midi rig, like a emx-1 or w/e? if so then its pretty easy, just get a xy pad from maybe a korg nanopad only like £40, then remove the mini usb interface from the unit, remove any other parts needed for the pad to transmit midi signals through the usb port, mount the lot in your guitar, then use a mini-to-normal usb cable and then connect it to your computer. Using another of the same leads, run it from your emx-1 to the computer and use some software like ableton live etc. to transmit the midi signals from device to device

i think that would work anyway :)

Never seen a korg nano pad before!

My setup includes a full sized koass pad xy pad and a microcontroller circuit board measuring about 3cm x 2cm. The board changes analogue in from the pad (and signal from a hold switch) to midi.

I have set the midi commands to control a kaoss pad on channel 1 and a digitech whammy on channel 2 (their default commands) but it's not limited to these two devices, the setup will allow control of any midi device.

As said before though I still have a bit of smoothing on the code, and am in the middle of adding the ability to control program change with a rotary switch. Hopefully it will be sorted soon - just not able to spend too much time on it at the moment.

its not part of the kaoss range

sounds interested, at the moment i just have:

Ipod-audio out

|

audio in

|

Korg kaoss pad 3-audio out-Tc electronics firewire interface-Monitors

|

midi (via usb)

|

to comp-Ableton Live----midi (via usb)-Back to Kp3

|