'Hot Press ' review Muse at Oxegen

Kris.

Today I got 'Hot Press' magazine,a small article about Muse at Oxegen. :)

MUSE : SATURDAY JULY 10

Muse are a safe bet in any festival line-up.High on pomp and considerably larger than life,their music never fails to satisfy the mosh-hungry masses.Plus,their light show is guaranteed to dazzle.

Clad in an immaculate red metallic suit and blue flashing LED glasses,it'd be virtually impossible for Matt Bellamy not to look like a regulation Rock God.There's a smidgeon of Freddie Mercury on the pose,and,later on the piano stool.

'Supermassive Black Hole' and set closer 'Knights Of Cydonia' are playful and brash,while 'Time Is Running Out' and 'Citizen Erased' are glorious examples of straight-up breakneck rock.The material from last year's 'The Resistance' album boasts even more glamour and drama on stage than it does on record with 'Uprising' and 'United States Of Eurasia' sounding particulary alluring.

There's just one problem.The band's performance is indulgent and there is never any sense of them reaching out to woo the unconverted in the audience.Hardcore fans lap it up.The rest of us can be forgiven for feeling curiously unmoved.

Does he just aim at pleasing all, the "hardcore fans most of us are" & those like the twilighters and such who seem to think they've been "letdown"??? This guy could be working for NME, it would be the same really :rolleyes:

The reviewer could just probably be referring to the lack of interaction from the band.

That's what I figured. But, Muse is on stage to perform music! Not to make out with the crowd. I don't understand all this "crowd interaction" business. Isn't eye contact and pointing enough?

That's what I figured. But, Muse is on stage to perform music! Not to make out with the crowd. I don't understand all this "crowd interaction" business. Isn't eye contact and pointing enough?

Also, some people are just really shy. :p

Not to mention, I like that Muse just perform music with minimal crowd interaction. When people talk onstage I just want them to get on with it.

I've read three different things you've posted today, and I agree with them all! :$:LOL:

Also, some people are just really shy. :p

Not to mention, I like that Muse just perform music with minimal crowd interaction. When people talk onstage I just want them to get on with it.

:yesey:

I was starting to wonder if I was the only one who thought, "Who cares if they don't talk to the crowd? I'm there for the music!"

"The band's performance is indulgent"

indulgent? they put the head down and get on with the job - no time to arse about. Yes the intro's & outro's to some may seam unnecessary but thats probably to those who prefer 3min pop songs. Who would just want to here the song exactly as it is on the album - just listen to the album then.

There's just one problem.The band's performance is indulgent and there is never any sense of them reaching out to woo the unconverted in the audience.Hardcore fans lap it up.The rest of us can be forgiven for feeling curiously unmoved.

Actually I believe this person has got that wrong! I think the newer fans probably appreciate the indulgence (if by that he/she means the guitar wankery, lasers etc) more than the 'hardcore' fans do.

I think the reviewer is an actual fan of the band, but to try and write a balanced review tries to second guess what people unfamiliar to Muse would think of it. Which is why it seems like a confusing review, though I can sort of see where they're coming from. Muse aren't renowned for crowd interraction and do sometimes seem to hide behind the stage set up to compensate for this.

Hot Press is one of those magazines that tries hard to sound pretencious at times and then hypes the Scripts new album. State.ie is the place to get good Irish reviews.

I think it's the same person who reviewed their show in the o2 last year as that said the same thing.

I was at Oxegen and believe me they got a lot of new fans after that performance.

Archived