I am a guy and a musician who likes Muse because there progressive sound and arrangement speaks to me. I liked Muse before twilights was even penned as a novel, so did many of us, and so did twilights author when it inspired her to write. It is clear that Muse had some degree of influence in North America. I am usually the last person to hear about awesome things and I heard about Muse by listening to them on the radio ages ago.

How can people tell based on comments from one interview whether or not he's "grateful"? I'm sure he is!

Why should he be "grateful"?

A number of musicians have killed themselves because they can't deal with fame and everything that brings, or the thread just below this about Family Guy parodying Hysteria/The Wall and The Wall was a film about not being able to cope with fame (Along with a number of other things) with references to Syd Barrett.

A band is made up of individuals, so there won't be total agreement on all decisions. Muse is hardly a political party where you have to stand by what the party does regardless of your actual opinion.

There are plenty of examples of when people have hated their music being in films. For example, Roy Orbison initially hated how In Dreams was used in Blue Velvet and that's now an iconic piece of cinema (Though I doubt the same can be said for Muse & Twilight where it just seems to be about who the author likes rather than appropriate music, but I haven't seen the films)

None of the soundtrack songs fit in with the films. Maybe the Thom Yorke tracks did. They just seem sort of thrown in there. They used NSC for a big celebratory party. IBTY was used for a scene where the main character goes to the cinema with a friend. It's pretty arbitrary, just a way of exposing teens to up and coming bands or whoever the record company wants to sell by tacking them on.

And if it's not that, whoever arranged the sound track sure made it feel like that.

None of the soundtrack songs fit in with the films. Maybe the Thom Yorke tracks did. They just seem sort of thrown in there. They used NSC for a big celebratory party. IBTY was used for a scene where the main character goes to the cinema with a friend. It's pretty arbitrary, just a way of exposing teens to up and coming bands or whoever the record company wants to sell by tacking them on.

And if it's not that, whoever arranged the sound track sure made it feel like that.

Ah, product placement then.

That should be the case but I think that in America, certainly, Twilight is a massive phenomenon. I dont think its as big a phenomenon in the UK but certainly in America it sounds massive. It wouldn't have broke film-seeing records otherwise.

But the way this article is, its saying he should be greatful for being involved in it as a catapult to the US big time and that its implying he hates the films when all he said was that its a new way of putting your music out, if a way thats not neccesarrily preferable.

This is what he means. I reckon if he hadn't have said that "like selling our souls" bit he wouldn't have encouraged an attack. That's how the media works! It sounds more juicy so the media are more likely to use it. Rather like this site actually! :LOL:

Why should he be "grateful"?

I would think he'd be grateful for the millions of dollars in his pocket that will help his kids get braces and buy cars and go to college, etc. I certainly hope most celebrities are grateful for their fame and fortune! Yes, it can drive many over the edge, but I feel having that many admirerers and that much money all for doing something you love is, for most people, a blessing.

In his place, I would certainly be grateful to all my fans... Twilighters and non-Twilighters a like! (and I'd also be grateful to the Twilight franchise for helping me GAIN all those extra fans!)

This is what he means. I reckon if he hadn't have said that "like selling our souls" bit he wouldn't have encouraged an attack. That's how the media works! It sounds more juicy so the media are more likely to use it. Rather like this site actually! :LOL:

Lol... all too true, mind. The gossip world are really ready to miss the fucking point. And to prove this I typed Muse into Google News and print the first 5 articles that mentioned this interview:

http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/muse-had-sell-their-soul-be-featured-twilight-soundtrack-07-14-2010

http://www.gigwise.com/news/57352/Muse-Compare-Robert-Pattinsons-Twilight-To-Selling-Your-Soul

http://www.musicrooms.net/alternative/11091-Muse-Bassist-Sold-His-Soul.html

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/wolstenholme-was-wary-of-muses-twilight-link_1152632

http://www.chartattack.com/news/2010/jul/14/muse-bassist-says-being-on-twilight-soundtracks-is-like-selling-your-soul

Notice anything familiar?

I would think he'd be grateful for the millions of dollars in his pocket that will help his kids get braces and buy cars and go to college, etc. I certainly hope most celebrities are grateful for their fame and fortune! Yes, it can drive many over the edge, but I feel having that many admirerers and that much money all for doing something you love is, for most people, a blessing.

In his place, I would certainly be grateful to all my fans... Twilighters and non-Twilighters a like! (and I'd also be grateful to the Twilight franchise for helping me GAIN all those extra fans!)

The UK & ROI is nothing like the USA. :p

Yes, it's nice to make a living from doing something you love, but there's plenty of bullshit involved at the same time, it's far from constant great fun. :)

The idea that people should be grateful for something they've worked hard to achieve (And it is hard work!) is just stupid in reality.

i dislike Twilight fans only for one reason -

they come to the shows and the setlit is catered to them, that is, in my mind is "sellling their soul"

so as long as the decisions the band takes regarding music they play is not based on what fans like I am fine with any fans

This is the best part:

While Muse frontman Matt Bellamy is busy nailing Kate Hudson, bassist Chris Wolstenholme is risking his life by insulting the Twilight franchise.

What the fuck does Kate has to do with any of this and "risking his life?",by who?I mean c'mon,this is just plain stupid.

Sure it's funny when Muse fans get teased/baited, but when it's coming from Twilight fans, it's just annoying.

+1

ra2p3c.gif

[/b] is risking his life by insulting the Twilight franchise.

Risking his life?:wtf: Not bloody likely. Didn't someone once say that muse have an army of musers? Personally, I would take this opportunity to ass-kick all the annoying twatlighters. But I think I would probably spare the good twilighters....

You'd think if the OPer really knew anything about Muse' date=' she'd have cited Adam Lambert as "our national radio hero," but no, she went with Seacrest. :LOL:[/quote']

Ryan Seacrest - i thought americans thiought he was an idiot. and even so if hes a national hero then something aint right

I was also initially :wtf: about the seacrest comment, but I think what she meant was that he was on the radio nationally - to counteract Chris' comment about us not having any national radio. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, we don't have what they have in the UK, but there are nationally syndicated shows.

I still don't understand what the huge deal is (see my kind of lengthy post on the original thread about this interivew). I actually don't even think he was really "bashing" Twilight or whatever as horribly as people say he was. He's simply saying that Twilight really isn't his style but they saw it as an opportunity to get some more recognition in the US, so they took it.

No question Muse was huge before Twilight... but not so much in the US. Now things have changed because of that.

I think they would have made it here with the new album without twilight. They were already building an audience from Abso to BH&R, and although they seem to have forgotten, they did their first arena shows here back in '07, starting with the forum in the spring, continuing to other places including MSG in the late summer/fall. They headlined 2 big festivals - Lollapalooza and Austin City Limits (even though the second was by chance - the White Stripes cancelled at the last minute as I recall)

Given that, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that they'd have been able to do the arena tour in the spring without any movie soundtracks.

With regard to the music, they've done better with the albums than with twilight. Starlight, Uprising and Resistance have been huge singles.... NSC? Not so much ;) SMBH is a draw - I'm pretty sure it did ok originally and twilight just sort of dragged it out...

EDIT: My point is, twilight did not "make" muse - not even in the US.

Just some few words...

Muse has never needed Twilight to be known!

if they meant that in some part of that "article" I think that is enough, if it was hard for them to be known all around Amrica, it should be because they just shouldn't have, they had fan basemants there anyways...

They were already building an audience from Abso to BH&R, and although they seem to have forgotten, they did their first arena shows here back in '07, starting with the forum in the spring, continuing to other places including MSG in the late summer/fall. They headlined 2 big festivals - Lollapalooza and Austin City Limits (even though the second was by chance - the White Stripes cancelled at the last minute as I recall)

i agree with that, they sold out Madison Square Garden in one day.

but I guess it was not enough for them, or more precisely, for Matt.

He has bigger ambitions.

Although, if they had OOS issued at the same time as in Europe, there would not be much difference at all.

I like how they've listed some decent bands there but I had no idea any of them were on twilight nor are they mega popular so i'm guessing Muse might be huge for some other non twilight related thing.....

surprisingly (and sadly) there are good artists on the soundtracks, but yeah, muse kicks all their asses

I think that article's just awoken the sleeping giant...

Dom.jpg

:LOL::LOL::LOL: om my god, where did you get that picture? i've never seen that before!:LOL::dom:

'

You'd think a Twilight fan wouldn't mind something cheesy and crappy. After all, that is Twilight in a nutshell :LOL:

:D:LOL:

+1

thank you Chris for saying what we've all been thinking for a long time :p

but tbh, he didn't really diss them that bad for them to write stuff like that, i think he dissed them in the nicest way possible :happy:

oh and this article is a piece of crap :rolleyes:

i agree with that, they sold out Madison Square Garden in one day.

but I guess it was not enough for them, or more precisely, for Matt.

He has bigger ambitions.

Although, if they had OOS issued at the same time as in Europe, there would not be much difference at all.

I think it's just that it's foreign to them, they don't get us - they seem convinced that the US is so different from everywhere else. I figure the stuff that happened with Origin is probably at least partly to blame for that... it's like they don't even recognize the success they had, even they seem to be buying into the crap idea that twilight is responsible! I find that so annoying... :LOL:

Archived