Typical that some twilight obsessed person would run their mouth without doing any research whatsoever. I dont mind twilight, but ive been listening to muse since 2001 and they have worked their F**king asses off to get as big as they are now. Every single reply post i have read has been thought out and is in my opinion CORRECT and it represents the true fanbase.

Ryan Seacrest - i thought americans thiought he was an idiot. and even so if hes a national hero then something aint right

Why is your music cheesy and crappy - just no need

Nailing Kate Hudson - once again, no need

Some of the other bands that have done songs cant be fans of the movies either, Editors?, Vampire Weekend?, Death Cab?, Bon Iver? i dont think florence welch would even rush to see the damn thing.

Said my piece-

First time Chris is really talking out of my soul. :awesome: Matt only says he loves Twilight. Great. That's not really what it's about. Who cares about the film? :p

I also think there are a few real fans who heard them first on the soundtrack, but there are also many of those "fans" loving SMBH, NSC and IBTY. But as soon as there's another hype, they won't care anymore. Then we can live in peace again. :happy:

That first sentence is very kind... :rolleyes::noey: "Don't know how to start my fucking article - hmm, let's start with the sex life of a band member... " :wtf::noey:

What they gonna do, throw drawings of Edward Cullen at him in the risk he may receive a paper cut?

Yeah, they are terribly dangerous. Singing Supermassive Black Hole and not even knowing the text, jumping in the lines like in the film, they can kill you!! :eek:

:LOL:

They are clearly deluding themselves thinking Twilight made Muse.

Twilight came out in November 2008, and by that point Muse had headlined nearly every major European festival and arena one can name, played Wembley twice, headlined big US venues (MSG, Red Rocks, LA Forum, Lollapalooza Festival), had a top 10 US album (Black Holes and Revelations at number 9) and without Twilight they very well could've had a big tour in the USA like they have done for The Resistance.

Was I the only one who noticed that Chris never actually said he reckoned Muse had sold their soul, but was using it as a sarcastic remark? :erm:

I'm sure Chris was just cracking a joke, this is just taken way out of proportion. Oh well, welcome to Hollywood Chris! :LOL:

Anyone who thinks that a 31 year old man like Chris should like Twilight is just pathetic! I went to see New Moon at the cinema and among 997 girls there were only 2 boys and a man who came with his daughter! This saga is mostly for teenagers, it's natural it's not his cup of tea.He didn't even say he hates it ! they are too hard on him :supersad:

No offence to any guy who likes it, I just think there are very few guys who enjoy the films...

Anyone who thinks that a 31 year old man like Chris should like Twilight is just pathetic! I went to see New Moon at the cinema and among 997 girls there were only 2 boys and a man who came with his daughter! This saga is mostly for teenagers, it's natural it's not his cup of tea.He didn't even say he hates it ! they are too hard on him :supersad:

No offence to any guy who likes it, I just think there are very few guys who enjoy the films...

Exactly.

He's a 31 year old man - thats not really the market the film studio aim Twilight at. Its more of a teenage girls film franchise and its not strictly a film guys would typically enjoy seeing.

But they're slagging him off when he even said he liked it (even if it wasn't neccessarily his cup of tea). That is quite a harsh article about him, particulary as the article also is poorly researched as has been said numerous times.

Muse Bassist Disses Twilight, His Million Dollar Meal Ticket

While Muse frontman Matt Bellamy is busy nailing Kate Hudson, bassist Chris Wolstenholme is risking his life by insulting the Twilight franchise…the same franchise that made his band a favorite amongst money-spending Twi-hards around the globe. Muse has appeared on every Twilight soundtrack thus far, and while their dark rock music suits the movies, they’re also a favorite of author Stephenie Meyer. Yes, she has dedicated books to the band. Muse, it seems, is her muse.

But Chris ain’t so sold on the whole ‘appear on a cheesy tween movie soundtrack, get billions of fans’ formula, telling BBC’s Radio 1, “It’s very difficult in America, because you don’t have anything like Radio 1, nothing is national. You have to take every opportunity you get over there, and sometimes you have to sell your soul.”

Chris also added, “I’m not sure how cool it is to be on those kind of things, but sometimes you’ve just got to get your music out there in different ways.”

Oh, we have so many questions. Like, has Chris ever heard of our national radio hero, Ryan Seacrest? Has he listened at all to the 3 soundtracks, which are musically quite kick-ass? Is selling your soul really so bad when it results in you getting to play Madison Square Garden? And also, why is your music so cheesy and crappy?

Oops, did we just insert our personal opinion into this post? Sorry about that…we just have a hard time listening to some guy whine about being on awesome soundtracks with the likes of Bon Iver, Lykke Li, Beck, Bat For Lashes, Grizzly Bear, St. Vincent, Iron and Wine, Robert Pattinson…I mean when it comes to the musical company one keeps, he could be doing a lot worse. Suck it up, Chris! Or at least check out your bursting bank account before you lament the loss of your soul.

source:

http://twilight.thefablife.com/2010-07-14/muse-bassist-dishes-twilight-his-million-dollar-meal-ticket/

:stunned:

I feel the red mist coming on.

roflbot-FEcq.jpg

Exactly.

He's a 31 year old man - thats not really the market the film studio aim Twilight at. Its more of a teenage girls film franchise and its not strictly a film guys would typically enjoy seeing.

I don't think anyone's really suggesting that Chris should like the films. Reminds me of that ridiculous article when Matt was supposed to be a big fan of Twilight and disappointed that he was going to miss one of the films which brought images of him turning up on stage in a Team Edward T-shirt! :LOL: It's doubtful that Matt said half the things in the article.

It's perfectly understandable that Chris would want to distance himself from the films but I still think he could have chosen better words which wouldn't have led to criticism of his own band.

But there you go.

I read the article as "At least wait until the last two movies are out, there's two more single deals on the table, you could add another storey to your house if you kept quiet for just a few years before openly slating the films"

Which is true. If the band publicly say they think the films aren't actually good, it looks bad for the record company and makes the band look like sell outs.

I don't think anyone's really suggesting that Chris should like the films. Reminds me of that ridiculous article when Matt was supposed to be a big fan of Twilight and disappointed that he was going to miss one of the films which brought images of him turning up on stage in a Team Edward T-shirt! :LOL: It's doubtful that Matt said half the things in the article.

That should be the case but I think that in America, certainly, Twilight is a massive phenomenon. I dont think its as big a phenomenon in the UK but certainly in America it sounds massive. It wouldn't have broke film-seeing records otherwise.

But the way this article is, its saying he should be greatful for being involved in it as a catapult to the US big time and that its implying he hates the films when all he said was that its a new way of putting your music out, if a way thats not neccesarrily preferable.

A band is made up of individuals, so there won't be total agreement on all decisions. Muse is hardly a political party where you have to stand by what the party does regardless of your actual opinion.

There are plenty of examples of when people have hated their music being in films. For example, Roy Orbison initially hated how In Dreams was used in Blue Velvet and that's now an iconic piece of cinema (Though I doubt the same can be said for Muse & Twilight where it just seems to be about who the author likes rather than appropriate music, but I haven't seen the films)

I still don't understand what the huge deal is (see my kind of lengthy post on the original thread about this interivew). I actually don't even think he was really "bashing" Twilight or whatever as horribly as people say he was. He's simply saying that Twilight really isn't his style but they saw it as an opportunity to get some more recognition in the US, so they took it.

No question Muse was huge before Twilight... but not so much in the US. Now things have changed because of that. How can people tell based on comments from one interview whether or not he's "grateful"? I'm sure he is! Like I said on the other thread (a bit more eloquently) when you become famous, you also become kind of greedy. It's a natural thing. Happens to everyone. If they weren't, they would just give away their CDs and perform free concerts and not "sell their souls" for the sake of earning more fans. Once you start living that sort of high-class, fancy lifestyle, you wanna maintain it. And the only way to do that is make more money (on top of the millions you already have :p)

Muse are musicians and businessmen. They're just helping their "product" (music) reach a wider "audience". Not a bad thing, in my mind.

Archived