Muse Bassist Disses Twilight, His Million Dollar Meal Ticket

While Muse frontman Matt Bellamy is busy nailing Kate Hudson, bassist Chris Wolstenholme is risking his life by insulting the Twilight franchise…the same franchise that made his band a favorite amongst money-spending Twi-hards around the globe. Muse has appeared on every Twilight soundtrack thus far, and while their dark rock music suits the movies, they’re also a favorite of author Stephenie Meyer. Yes, she has dedicated books to the band. Muse, it seems, is her muse.

But Chris ain’t so sold on the whole ‘appear on a cheesy tween movie soundtrack, get billions of fans’ formula, telling BBC’s Radio 1, “It’s very difficult in America, because you don’t have anything like Radio 1, nothing is national. You have to take every opportunity you get over there, and sometimes you have to sell your soul.”

Chris also added, “I’m not sure how cool it is to be on those kind of things, but sometimes you’ve just got to get your music out there in different ways.”

Oh, we have so many questions. Like, has Chris ever heard of our national radio hero, Ryan Seacrest? Has he listened at all to the 3 soundtracks, which are musically quite kick-ass? Is selling your soul really so bad when it results in you getting to play Madison Square Garden? And also, why is your music so cheesy and crappy?

Oops, did we just insert our personal opinion into this post? Sorry about that…we just have a hard time listening to some guy whine about being on awesome soundtracks with the likes of Bon Iver, Lykke Li, Beck, Bat For Lashes, Grizzly Bear, St. Vincent, Iron and Wine, Robert Pattinson…I mean when it comes to the musical company one keeps, he could be doing a lot worse. Suck it up, Chris! Or at least check out your bursting bank account before you lament the loss of your soul.

source:

http://twilight.thefablife.com/2010-07-14/muse-bassist-dishes-twilight-his-million-dollar-meal-ticket/

:stunned:

I feel the red mist coming on.

Although ridiculously harsh, I do agree with bits of it. The soundtracks are amazing, there is no doubt about that. There are some bands I wouldn't be fans of if I hadn't heard them on of the soundtrack, like The Black Keys and Mutemath. I think there is nothing wrong with finding music you love from weird places, even if one of them includes the soundtrack to an insanely lame movie.

Plus, amongst the teeny-boppers, they are probably gaining some true fans who fall in love with all of their albums, not just "Supermassive Black Hole" and "Neutron Star Collision"...

Chris should be a little more grateful, or they should have declined being on the soundtracks at all.

Not a very good way of pointing that out, however. The random jibe at Matt, and their music, definately deserved a kick in the arse.

Oh, we have so many questions. Like, has Chris ever heard of our national radio hero, Ryan Seacrest?

OH! I get this part now, for some reason it went right over my head last time :rolleyes:

Yeah, I was actually going to mention that in the orig thread - while we don't have an equiv to "radio 1", we do have nationally syndicated radio shows in the US....

Wow. This idiot doesn't know what they're talking about.

1. They played MSG before Twilight.

2. I doubt Chris cares about having a "bursting bank account" as long as his family is provided for.

3. All those other artists on the Twilight soundtracks haven't been referred to as "the twilight band".

"bursting bank account":LOL:

:facepalm: cuz its ALL about money for Muse

yeah, matt said their just about to break even for the tour cause they keep trying to blow all their money on the show :chuckle:

overall I think the article was pretty bitchy and unfounded, but what do you expect from "thefablife" or whatever it was called. :rolleyes:

Eh... Twilighters would've been introduced to Muse through the series regardless. I know quite a few Muse fans that got into Muse through Twilight through the books BEFORE the movies. Incidentally, that's also how I discovered Twilight...

I don't think Chris is being ungrateful about the whole thing, I think he just doesn't like it, which isn't the same thing, really. Life never goes the way you want it to.

Chris did tread on thin ice by saying the comment, so Twilighters bouncing back is understandable, but honestly, it's a bit out of line to say what they were saying. I think everyone knows Muse partially sold out to get on Twilight anyway :erm:

I had to :LOL: at the "why is your music so cheesy and crappy?" comment, regardless :p

Twilighters bouncing back. Oh, I can't wait for the forum wars that are going to go on at some point.

The title of the article is stupid beyond words.Like they were some underground indie band that nobody listened to.:rolleyes:

I think that all three of them (they said it themselves) didn't know that Twilight would be so big.But when it happened,they couldn't deny a woman who is a total Muse fangirl and had dedicated the books to them,so their hands are tied.

Archived