NME: T in the Park review

Uccellino

Here's the review of Muse's performance at T in the Park from the NME out today:

4793879970_a8d7a94222_b.jpg

The photo that went with the review

4793881176_6f7bcec2d4.jpg

An ad in the magazine (still advertising the NME Muse special magazine) with an interesting/potentially controversial quote from Matt.

4793247449_31e35e99b0_b.jpg

I noticed there's a poster of Matt in the centre of Kerrang too, but I didn't buy that.:D

We're getting complacent and greedy - Muse have given so much that we quickly want and expect more. Nothing more in terms of live performance can really be done - they put so much spectacle and energy in, what more do you want? They're only human despite my belief that Matt is in fact God :p Setlist-wise, of course we want the old stuff too but we have to understand this tour is to promote current material.

We're getting complacent and greedy - Muse have given so much that we quickly want and expect more. Nothing more in terms of live performance can really be done - they put so much spectacle and energy in, what more do you want? They're only human despite my belief that Matt is in fact God :p Setlist-wise, of course we want the old stuff too but we have to understand this tour is to promote current material.

Playing 5 of the same 6 songs every night to promote newer material is hardly exciting either.

The thing is NME are always trying to be 'ahead of the trend'. Whether they're just not liking Muse right now or genuinely believe the tide is turning against them and the magazine just wants to be the first ones who 'said it' remains to be seen.

I expect this review will be ripped apart on here.

As Max said, if it was written about Glasto I would agree. Have no idea how T was. Setlist looks shocking but of course I wasn't there so can't comment.

Well yeah I'm reading it as a view of the whole tour up until Oxegen and I know I can't comment on the actual performance but from the highlights it did seem a bit dull and too jammy to me. I like the "360-degree barrage of bombast that twas "The Resistance". :chuckle:

Well yeah I'm reading it as a view of the whole tour up until Oxegen and I know I can't comment on the actual performance but from the highlights it did seem a bit dull and too jammy to me. I like the "360-degree barrage of bombast that twas "The Resistance". :chuckle:

They didn't really like The Resistance at all though, it got a very mixed review which is obviously going to influence their thinking of the tour. They did say MK Ultra sounded like a b-side and were only really overly positive about Exogenesis :LOL:

They didn't really like The Resistance at all though, it got a very mixed review which is obviously going to influence their thinking of the tour. They did say MK Ultra sounded like a b-side and were only really overly positive about Exogenesis :LOL:

Yeah I remember reading it and thinking it was a bit harsh :LOL:

TO be brutally honest, that was kind. TIRO and PiB were the only good points of a performance which for all it could have been (oxegen the next night, for example) was absolutely appaling. We're not getting greedy, the boys are getting complacent, and hopefully, this won't be the last review which is honest about how lacklustre they've been recently

As Max said, if it was written about Glasto I would agree. Have no idea how T was. Setlist looks shocking but of course I wasn't there so can't comment.

it was the worst I've ever seen them. no passion at all.

it was the worst I've ever seen them. no passion at all.

I have admit when I read this review I straight away thought about what you had to say about the gig and thought "it sounds pretty accurate".

Lately there has been quite a few inconsistencies in terms of performance from Muse: they tend to go from dire to pulling a blinder, which is unfair for people attending as it is pretty much luck of the draw which muse you will get on the night.

I have admit when I read this review I straight away thought about what you had to say about the gig and thought "it sounds pretty accurate".

Lately there has been quite a few inconsistencies in terms of performance from Muse: they tend to go from dire to pulling a blinder, which is unfair for people attending as it is pretty much luck of the draw which muse you will get on the night.

The cynical part of me thinks that they knew that a shitload of the board who've been their harshest critics were going to oxegen and decided to use T as a warm-up and save themselves for oxegen, which would actually really disappoint me if they did see it like that.

The cynical part of me thinks that they knew that a shitload of the board who've been their harshest critics were going to oxegen and decided to use T as a warm-up and save themselves for oxegen, which would actually really disappoint me if they did see it like that.

Dom was depressed he had to leave the love of his life behind in Greece.

http://twitpic.com/23jdmq

Dom was depressed he had to leave the love of his life behind in Greece.

23jdmq

Who his dog? lol

(|'m a n00b when it comes to all of this Muse gossip)

NME is always bitching lately :/

EDIT: didn't see the twitpic under post :facepalm:

I don't think they would pull out a performance because loads of people of the board would be there... since when do they care if we are at a gig and care about pleasing us. I think it was down to the fact that they were just back from Greece and just couldn't be asked that day.

I agree! So well said!

I do think if they improve on connection with an audience then each gig will feel more unique. But that's an art in itself (unless an artist is naturally born with that talent.)

Yes, this review will be kinder if the reviewer went to Oxegen instead.

I agree! So well said!

I do think if they improve on connection with an audience then each gig will feel more unique. But that's an art in itself (unless an artist is naturally born with that talent.)

Yes, this review will be kinder if the reviewer went to Oxegen instead.

but they didn't, and besides, what you're saying is that you think that all negative reviews should be disregarded and only positive ones printed. They WERE appalling at T and it is ultimately a GOOD thing that they're told this. We're not getting greedy or complacent in expecting the guys to at least TRY and put some effort in.

Archived