OscarC

Do you actually like Muse?

Very much actually. But unlike you, I can exercise healthy criticism against even my favourite bands. Just because I have my opinion on Muse lyrics being generally on the bad - average scale doesn't mean I don't like Muse.

Pfft, silly you.

Very much actually. But unlike you, I can exercise healthy criticism against even my favourite bands. Just because I have my opinion on Muse lyrics being generally on the bad - average scale doesn't mean I don't like Muse.

Pfft, silly you.

Don't call me silly please, I have my opinoin too. Your very arrogant aren't you?

No, can't you see you've just contradicted yourself entirely? Juuso has opinions just as you do, they just conflict with yours.

+ I agree with him, Showbiz is a pretty shit album overall in all areas imo :LOL:.

Lyrically dire, musically unadventurous and just not particularly gripping overall.

Don't call me silly please, I have my opinoin too. Your very arrogant aren't you?

I just think it's silly, when people presume you need to like everything a band does to be a fan. You're not the first one who has asked me do I actually like Muse. It's outright annoying really, no band is perfect and Muse is nowhere near. They've done some bad stuff, but that has nothing to do with the fact that it's still one of my favourite bands and probably the most listened one.

As cold as it sounds, rationally analyzing music and comparing it improves your opinions and might even reveal something of yourself. I think it's cheating yourself, if you automatically think everything a musical artist does is good. It's also cheating the artist himself/herself.

I just think it's silly, when people presume you need to like everything a band does to be a fan.
The problem is just that there is no moderation, everything borders on extremes - the praise and the criticism. It's annoying to see constant praising (well, not the praising but the silly things which are praised or the silly ways in which it is done) but it also gets quite annoying to see fans only making "constructive criticism". Especially because in a fan board you expect to see some "constructive complimenting" too :p

I dont know, but its seems to me that there are a lot of fans who enjoy grabbing every chance they got to point out a fault or criticize because they don't want to be labeled as "obsessed" or fanboys or whatever. Which seems kinda pointless to me because duh, isn't it obvious nobody and nothing is perfect? You don't need to toss out some insults to be taken seriously. At least I don't feel that way and I think nobody should.

Btw, this is not aimed at you (I don't know you) it's just a general comment.

Going back to the Unintended Cheesy moment. I like Muse Cheese. It's one of a very few forms of Cheese I can stand, and like Invincible works as a great single because you don't get that material too often with Muse. It stands out whether you like it or not. Personally I love them both.

Can we start talking about AP again please? This lyrics talk is completely irrelevant. Sorry for kickstarting it peeps.:)

Apocalypse Please's live performances are good, but not great. This stems from the fact that the chords are less powerful than its album counterpart. But live Intro and the tweak in the drumline during the synth bit makes up for that.

OMFG you guys HAVE to download the Bliss from Norway on Muselive! The guitar interlude and intro is very different now. Sounds so peaceful and haunting, the way it should be!

http://muselive.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=27804

I strongly urge you guys to dl it! OMG, this version has heightened my likeness for Bliss to an extent that it cant be contained!

EDIT: Oops, wrong thread! :LOL:

I'll post it in the appropriate thread now.

Unintended is cheesy and lacks any form of originality. It's a love song written by a teenager. The lyrics can be simple, I don't mind that, but when they're crude, it sticks out. The whole Showbiz-album is tacky, with some oh-so-funny lyrics.

Exactly. People who think that Matt Bellamy is a great lyricist have obviously never heard of Lou Reed, whose worst lyrics are still better than Muse's best.

Exactly. People who think that Matt Bellamy is a great lyricist have obviously never heard of Lou Reed, whose worst lyrics are still better than Muse's best.

Hmm... That isnt exactly a fair statement. Stockholm Syndrome's lyrics are not half bad. Take a Bow's aint too shabby either. Hyper Music carries an angsty message and I think its lyrics reflect that very well. Sing for Absolution is probably the most beautiful song, and the lyrics are quite intelligent for something that's meant to be cheesy.

How is it not a fair statement? Everything from the first two Velvet Underground albums easily surpasses Matt Bellamy's best lyrical output, as does everything I've heard from Lou's solo work. Just compare Take a Bow and Heroin. The latter clearly conveys more meaning and is better written.

Everything from Dark Side of The Moon to The Final Cut by Pink Floyd also defines good lyrics. Listen to Time or Dogs.

Matt is great at writing lyrics simply because usually they go with the music perfectly, and a lot of people can relate to them. I'm not saying he's a godly lyricist but he's not terrible either. I've seen much worse and at least he uses interesting ideas. The fact that Unintended is a cheesy love song written by an 18 year-old is part of why I love it. :happy:

The music is where the brilliance shines, but I find it pretty cool how the lyrics totally contrast that and just sound like a regular person speaking their mind in an honest way. I like that he isn't afraid to get across a message he feels passionate about, even if it comes across as really cheesy. Then again I honestly don't care about lyrics much.

Anyway..Apocalypse Please is ace, especially live! It's loud and epic aand really grabs your attention.

The lyrics in his songs are good - but they really lack meaning sometimes and that's not something I'm fond of. Still, you make a good point ICNH, because i could never write a song as good as matt - my creativity probably stretches as far as the kitchen (and I don't mean that in a good way)

Then again, personal songwriting skills don't really matter in this subject. If we all took the attitude that can't criticise someone, because you are not as good as him, we couldn't really comment on anything, could we?

Then again, personal songwriting skills don't really matter in this subject. If we all took the attitude that can't criticise someone, because you are not as good as him, we couldn't really comment on anything, could we?

very good point - its like the saying "Speak when yuo're spoken to". Well, if we all obeyed that rules, no-one would ever talk at all!

I don't mind the lyrics in this song though. They ring true.

Archived