One Bell' of a festival show - Interview in the Daily Star, More new album talk

a-museing

It says plenty about rockers Muse that they've been invited back to headlne Oxegen just two years after last having the honour.

Then again, they've upped their game significanlty in that time. With the latest album The Resistance, they're hot on U2's heels in the hunt to become the biggest live band in the world. But in our exclusive interview with Muse ahead of their headline show on the Satrday, Muse frontman Matt Bellamy is modest about their status.

'We've at least 10 years to go before we get close to U2' he says'They've been an inspiration to us, especially when it comes to putting on a live show'

The group supported Bono and the boys last year - so were able to call up the Edge and get him to join them for their Glastonbury slot last month. Matt explains 'We felt bad for the crowd as U2 had to pull out of the festival so we decided to play 'Where the Street's Have No Name. But I couldn't play the guitar part so we decided to ask the Edge'

The U2 guitarist didn't reprise his guest duties at Oxegen on Saturday, but he was barely needed as the trio - completed y Chris Wolstenholme and Dominic Howard - delivered a blistering set.

'We think of Ireland as a second home now' says Matt. 'Chris lives in Dublin with his family and a lot of my family come from the North, so they're coming down to see us.'

'We'll be playing our festival set at Oxegen. We have a stadium show with UFO''s and spinning platforms and all sorts of stuff, but we can't bring that to festivals so we try to makeup for it by wearing silly costumes and playing unpredicatable setlist's'

Famed for their spectacular set designs and visuals, we wonder if the reliance on technology is sometimes a hindrance. 'Oh yes - we've definately had our fair share of Spinal Tap moments' the multi million selling star says. 'Like in our indoor arena shows we have 3 moving platforms which go 6 or 7 metres of the ground. At the start we're around a curtain that reveals us, but for the first few concerts it kept getting stuck. At one of the shows, the curtain came down and landed on my head, so I had to play with this big sheet over me, looking like a ghost! But I think our fans like it when we embaress ourselves.'

When talk turns to the new direction of their next album, Bellamy explains the difference between tnes from more recent years like Knights of Cydonia to earlier material like Sunburn. He says:'We've been taking influence from our live show by playing music that was relevant to a large environment. Pronouns moved from 'me' and 'I' to 'we' and 'us'. But my personal life has changed quite radically in the lastyear, lots of things have gone on, so there's every possibility we'll get back to a little more personal stuff - I can feel that step back is on the cards. I've writtensome things already and they seem to be more mellowish - it's basically less orchestrated and more stripped down. Whether that's the whole album or not is a different matter'

The personal stuff in case you were wondering, has plenty to do with his beau, Kate Hudson. Bellamy met the actress in April and they have been an item ever sinvce. Recent reports seemed to suggest that it's very seriois with Matt meeting her mum Goldie Hawn and not denying the possibility of marriage in the future. But when quizzed about the stunning blonde, he says these quotes are "absolutely 'madeup" However he add's it going really well.

Thanks for posting. :)

'We think of Ireland as a second home now' says Matt. 'Chris lives in Dublin with his family and a lot of my family come from the North, so they're coming down to see us.'

:awesome:

so we try to makeup for it by wearing silly costumes and playing unpredicatable setlist's'
:awesome::LOL:

Kate Hudson,lol.

again. :LOL:

Thanks for typing this up :D

The stuff he's saying about the new album sounds interesting - especially about having already written some stuff. I don't remember them saying that during the BH&R era (could just be forgetting, of course ;))

The personal stuff in case you were wondering, has plenty to do with his beau, Kate Hudson. Bellamy met the actress in April and they have been an item ever sinvce. Recent reports seemed to suggest that it's very seriois with Matt meeting her mum Goldie Hawn and not denying the possibility of marriage in the future. But when quizzed about the stunning blonde, he says these quotes are "absolutely 'madeup" However he add's it going really well.

Not to highlight this paragraph, but that last bit is interesting... hmm...

Anybody have a clip of him playing with the sheet on his head? That sounds hilarious.:LOL:

I'm kind of nervous about this new album direction. I like the orchestration, I wouldn't even mind another symphony. Stripped down, "mellow" stuff doesn't sound like Muse. But I guess we'll see...

Nice interview. While hoping to not be intrusive I reckon the new more stripped down intimate stuff is more likely to be based on the last relationship than the present tbh. It's just too early, I reckon, for it to be likely that Matt is writing deep, meaningful songs about his current girlfriend.

PS I think performing with the sheet on his head is a slight elaboration. :chuckle: I do remember, I think, the sheet falling on him and it not falling properly but becoming entangled on the tower. Nice that they realise that we don't mind these mishaps though. :happy:

Thanks for typing up! :) Good to see that the songs are being written already and I'm looking forward to the result, though of course the original intentions could have totally metamorphised by the time the album is released. Love Matt btw, just love him. Love him for his openness and for his modesty when comparing Muse to U2 amongst other things of course. :happy:

Thanks for typing this up :D

The stuff he's saying about the new album sounds interesting - especially about having already written some stuff. I don't remember them saying that during the BH&R era (could just be forgetting, of course ;))

Not to highlight this paragraph, but that last bit is interesting... hmm...

I reckon he had a glass of wine too many, said some stuff he didn't mean to say, and then regretted it...

so there's every possibility we'll get back to a little more personal stuff - I can feel that step back is on the cards. I've writtensome things already and they seem to be more mellowish - it's basically less orchestrated and more stripped down. Whether that's the whole album or not is a different matter

This sounds good. maybe not a whole album of "mellow" but a few songs. Less OTT stuff would be a refreshing change.

lol, yes, embarrassing themselves is one of our prefered forms of entertainment i believe :D

interesting stuff about the new album. we'll see how much of it actually makes it on the album, but it's cool that he's already got stuff written (though i think its not a surprise).

But my personal life has changed quite radically in the lastyear, lots of things have gone on, so there's every possibility we'll get back to a little more personal stuff - I can feel that step back is on the cards. I've writtensome things already and they seem to be more mellowish - it's basically less orchestrated and more stripped down. Whether that's the whole album or not is a different matter.

I like the sound of this.

Thanks for posting. :)

Thanks for typing and posting this:kiss:. Interesting interview especially as it was in The Daily Star, didn't even know they had interviews in The Daily Star just thought it was pictures of models tits:chuckle:

I'm liking the sound of the next album, maybe we will get it sooner that we thought as they have already wrote some stuff:D. I like the idea of them pulling back a bit on the sound and making it more personal, but this is Muse were talking about, I think mellow on the Muse scale is not going to be an album of acoustic tracks, but we'll see;). I do feel quite excited about it though.

Oh and embarrassing themselves and silly costumes FTW:awesome:

Nice interview. While hoping to not be intrusive I reckon the new more stripped down intimate stuff is more likely to be based on the last relationship than the present tbh. It's just too early, I reckon, for it to be likely that Matt is writing deep, meaningful songs about his current girlfriend.

I share the same opinion.

But I think our fans like it when we embaress ourselves.

Oh Matt, you know it.

I've writtensome things already and they seem to be more mellowish - it's basically less orchestrated and more stripped down. Whether that's the whole album or not is a different matter

I like the sound of this, and hope that it's more reminiscent of some of Muse's older mellowish stuff, and not so much some of the newer stuff.

Thanks for transcribing, a-museing.

yeah, that's generally been my thought, but for him to come right out and claim that it's "made up" it is a bit... :shifty:

Maybe he was trolling the gossip journalists. :awesome:

Maybe he was so drunk that he really can't remember that he said those things.

Thanks for typing and posting this:kiss:. Interesting interview especially as it was in The Daily Star, didn't even know they had interviews in The Daily Star just thought it was pictures of models tits:chuckle:

I'm liking the sound of the next album, maybe we will get it sooner that we thought as they have already wrote some stuff:D. I like the idea of them pulling back a bit on the sound and making it more personal, but this is Muse were talking about, I think mellow on the Muse scale is not going to be an album of acoustic tracks, but we'll see;). I do feel quite excited about it though.

Oh and embarrassing themselves and silly costumes FTW:awesome:

its gonna be heavy as! with heaps 0f r1fzzz!!

Thanks for typing it up. :happy:

At one of the shows, the curtain came down and landed on my head, so I had to play with this big sheet over me, looking like a ghost! But I think our fans like it when we embaress ourselves.'

:LOL: Indeed we love it! Anyway know where footage of this incident can be found?

As for the stripped down thing, I'm quite interested in seeing how it goes. By now I believe it is quite likely and not really like The Resistance where it didn't quite work and went completely OTT. I love OTT Muse, though.

Archived