Guitars you should like but really dont

rockandroll

The reason I ask is that I was in a shop the other day trying out a million guitars before I parted with my £600. I tried a really smart looking white 70's mex strat. Looked the business sounded the business until I switched to the bridge. Then all of a sudden I remembered "God I hate strats" that tone makes me cringe. Ok this is my opinion and I have always been more from the school of Paul when it comes to tone but I just can’t see how people can use them without an upgrade. this opinion goes across the board with fender for me, there really isn’t one I’d own anymore, I used to like tele's but unfortunately that bridge pickup has tainted my opinion even on them.

Does anyone else have an irrational hate for a great instrument?

I'm a Strat warrior 'till I die... magnificent guitars.

But I'm not sure I "get" the point of this thread. There are no guitars I feel I "should" like... I just like or dislike, simple as that.

I never liked PRSs. They look good to play, but I just hate how a lot of them look... all this gaudy flamed maple and stuff. Personally, that's not my bag. There are some I like, though, and I wouldn't mind trying one or two out sometime. Not sure if it would convert me from Strats though!

Hmm... I tried out an American Vintage '57 Strat in February, which is my number one dream guitar ever. The neck felt pretty sticky due to the gloss, but it didn't put me off one bit, I still want one so badly. In Surf Green, please, and I'll take a '57 Champ to play it out of as well :D

I'm a Strat warrior 'till I die... magnificent guitars.

But I'm not sure I "get" the point of this thread. There are no guitars I feel I "should" like... I just like or dislike, simple as that.

I never liked PRSs. They look good to play, but I just hate how a lot of them look... all this gaudy flamed maple and stuff. Personally, that's not my bag. There are some I like, though, and I wouldn't mind trying one or two out sometime. Not sure if it would convert me from Strats though!

Hmm... I tried out an American Vintage '57 Strat in February, which is my number one dream guitar ever. The neck felt pretty sticky due to the gloss, but it didn't put me off one bit, I still want one so badly. In Surf Green, please, and I'll take a '57 Champ to play it out of as well :D

I'm a recent PRS singlecut convert but i get what you mean, a lot of them look like ass. i hate the bird inlays and am not really into their double cut shap.

Truth. I actually don't mind the singlecuts, they look like damn nice guitars to play, like the one in your sig. That's very nice. But, generally, I dislike them...

PRS_Al_DiMeola_Prism_Electric__700x239.jpg

prs-dragon-serial-nuimber-1-neck-large.jpg

PRS_Guitar_gf2leevp6m.jpg

Hmm... how about no :stunned:

I just like Fenders. They're rugged workhorses, whereas PRS seems like posh furniture :p

No offence, of course, each to their own. But I'm a Fender guy myself :)

Truth. I actually don't mind the singlecuts, they look like damn nice guitars to play, like the one in your sig. That's very nice. But, generally, I dislike them...

PRS_Al_DiMeola_Prism_Electric__700x239.jpg

prs-dragon-serial-nuimber-1-neck-large.jpg

PRS_Guitar_gf2leevp6m.jpg

Hmm... how about no :stunned:

I just like Fenders. They're rugged workhorses, whereas PRS seems like posh furniture :p

No offence, of course, each to their own. But I'm a Fender guy myself :)

The pictures show brilliantly how ugly they can look.

Les Pauls.

Just so overused now, would love to have a top of the line one but they've been played to death if not by famous musicians, then by every new guitarist on the scene.

Tele's, takes a REALLY nice looking and sounding one for me to like it.

any sort of ibanez. no character. i've played old ones and new ones (including prestiges)..the old ones weren't bad (i'd love one of those old destroyers), but something about the new ones just feel wrong to me. it's like f**king a corpse.

..Not that I've tried that, but you can decide whether it's a good or bad thing.

as for PRS, i think they're actually nice guitars after trying a few recently. couldn't fault them. only thing that really bugs me is that they're associated with so many horrible bands.

I really wasn't a fan of Strats until recently. I think it was because of the association I always made between that shape and horrible beginner guitars (having said that the worst playing/sounding guitar I've ever used was some hateful Stagg Les Paul copy so meh) and also the association with bellends that would quite happily play a non stop 72 day 12 bar blues jam and bang on and on about 'that sweet Texas twang' and the like. Since I bought mine though I think I've played it more than any of my other Fenders or my LP as it's just so comfortable to play and has a very distinctive tone that I'm really into at the moment (no hint of twang I might add).

Long story short I now think a halfway decent Strat can be a very cool, fun and rather sexy instrument if kept out of Texas.

Played a few high end PRSes recently too and there's still some vibe I get off them that I really don't like. Shame really because these played really nicely. Hmm.

EDIT: James just reminded me that I've yet to find an Ibanez that I found comfortable yet. Albeit I've only ever played low and midrange models but the necks always feel really shallow and sharp to me; like gripping a ruler. I've no idea how they get such a reputation for being good for speedy playing.

Ibanez guitars. No matter if you play the higher priced ones, or the lower priced, there is always this very stagnant feel to them, and the fretboard just feels, strange, probably the only word I can use to desribe it. The only exception to this that I've found is the Ibanez ART and that's just merely a take on a Les Paul. Oh, the general shape of Ibanez "super-strats" are rather ugly too. (Don't shoot me) Good thing is when switching from one Ibanez to another, there is at least a sense of familiarity. :LOL:

I used to be the same about Telecasters, but after playing one that my friend acquired. I changed my mind in a heartbeat, it was one of the most amazing guitars I have ever played. :eek:

James just reminded me that I've yet to find an Ibanez that I found comfortable yet. Albeit I've only ever played low and midrange models but the necks always feel really shallow and sharp to me; like gripping a ruler. I've no idea how they get such a reputation for being good for speedy playing.

I know what you mean about that. One of the ones I used to own which was an RGA121 I believe, was actually a VERY nice guitar. I can't say a single bad thing about the quality of it. Neck was a bit different from the standard RG shape - not nearly as thin. Nice feel from what I remember.

But it's just one of those guitars that you can't 'bond' with...if that's a good way to put it. I've found pretty much every ibanez I've tried to be like that. I really can't say why.

Ibanez guitars. No matter if you play the higher priced ones, or the lower priced, there is always this very stagnant feel to them, and the fretboard just feels, strange, probably the only word I can use to desribe it. The only exception to this that I've found is the Ibanez ART and that's just merely a take on a Les Paul. Oh, the general shape of Ibanez "super-strats" are rather ugly too. (Don't shoot me) Good thing is when switching from one Ibanez to another, there is at least a sense of familiarity. :LOL:

I used to be the same about Telecasters, but after playing one that my friend acquired. I changed my mind in a heartbeat, it was one of the most amazing guitars I have ever played. :eek:

Ohhh right, I had an ARC500 actually. that was some sort of LP type...I actually liked it a lot. Looked amazing as well.

And yeah, I love teles :awesome: so versatile.

Also, I forgot to mention, a guitar I think is really gay (glitter on a guitar, what were they thinking...)

http://www.museabuse.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10061/2_2_sjpg.jpg[/img

I quite like the glitterati, thats definitely a guitar i shouldnt like but do.:rolleyes:

I've never been pushed on strats, the necks, the pick ups, the awful bridge, yet I adore the shape :erm:

Never been pushed on Les Pauls either, Im a telecaster man all the way :)

But it's just one of those guitars that you can't 'bond' with...if that's a good way to put it. I've found pretty much every ibanez I've tried to be like that. I really can't say why.

Yeah I think that's a big part of it too. Same deal with PRS I suppose, I've just never felt there's any personality or excitement. In a sense I think it's the problem in both cases is that those two brands are at opposite ends of the same scale: Ibanez guitars tend to feel too much like tools - a bit too mechanical and straight edged. PRS guitars feel a bit too 'pretty boy' - like they're meant to be hung on a wall and kept all shiny and nice like a sculpture or something. Some Les Pauls are close to falling into this category as well. To me Fenders are a perfect ballance - they're utilitarian and feel like they could take a beating whist still being cool and good looking but in a design way rather than an art way if you see what I mean. Same with SGs - just enough design and just enough looks. A less autistic way of looking at this would be to say that anything which improves with a few dings and scratches and has a bit of a homebrew 'bloke in a shed' vibe to it is better than some robot designed museum piece.

Yeah I think that's a big part of it too. Same deal with PRS I suppose, I've just never felt there's any personality or excitement. In a sense I think it's the problem in both cases is that those two brands are at opposite ends of the same scale: Ibanez guitars tend to feel too much like tools - a bit too mechanical and straight edged. PRS guitars feel a bit too 'pretty boy' - like they're meant to be hung on a wall and kept all shiny and nice like a sculpture or something. Some Les Pauls are close to falling into this category as well. To me Fenders are a perfect ballance - they're utilitarian and feel like they could take a beating whist still being cool and good looking but in a design way rather than an art way if you see what I mean. Same with SGs - just enough design and just enough looks. A less autistic way of looking at this would be to say that anything which improves with a few dings and scratches and has a bit of a homebrew 'bloke in a shed' vibe to it is better than some robot designed museum piece.

EVERY WORD of this fucking post.

high-five-300x300.jpg

big +1 to that.

Can't say much more as you took the words right out of my mouth, but a guitar with no personality or whatever just isn't something I can enjoy playing. It's something that really isn't affected by the build quality (of course, playing a shattocaster wouldn't be fun), but maybe it's more of a thing with looks?

I agree with the shreddy stuff not having a lot of soul... stuff like Ibanez, with its super sharp horns and massive cutaways. Granted, there are a few nice Ibani I wouldn't mind playing, but generally I see them as this sort of thing.

ibanez_jem7v_stevevai_118.jpg

2759961544_d2806c1784.jpg

ibanez_jem_1990_050.jpg

Honestly... what the fucking fuck is with those colours in the last couple? It should be illegal.

I guess they're representative of the people who play them. People who spend hours and hours indoors, with a metronome, turning themselves into robots. I, personally, don't go for that.

Gimme a good 'ol Strat and some of THIS, please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQxxBGb2uSE

Honestly... what the fucking fuck is with those colours in the last couple? It should be illegal.

that was the 80's my friend, a terrible terrible era for music, guitars and clothes. has anyone ever seen one of those bowling ball ibanez's?

EDIT. found one!

UV77REMC.gif

Archived