New guitar- advice for beginnerish

grabacr 31770

Hi guys,

I've been playing guitar for about a month now I play pretty much just Muse. I've been using my brothers 3/4 size Argos special guitar, not the worst, not the best, need an upgrade.

I've read that the Yamaha Pacifica 112 is the one to go for. I have found some very good ones within my price range of £80, but they are all too far away from me. Based in Gloucestershire, btw, if anyone fancies helping me find a guitar :)

But, I found this, pretty much just down the road.

http://www.fret21.com/content.asp?inc=product&cat=1000&product=ED9837

Quite interesting. New, it's £80, worrying compared to the £150 odd quid of the Pacifica. But, it has an alder body (same as Pac), two single coils one humbucker (same as Pac), vintage tremolo (not sure, but probably near Pac)

So what's the catch? Does anyone have experience with this guitar, or would be able to say what makes it so cheap? Since I only play Muse, I want a Musey tone (impossible I know, but you know what I mean). This guitar looks near the Pac for specs, but is it?

Cheers,

Ollie

£80 won't get anything special - I can't say I've even heard of that brand before. I wouldn't risk it.

You can't go wrong with the yamaha to be honest - they're great overall guitars for the price. The only thing I didn't like was that the humbuckers were a bit weak sounding for being humbuckers.

Honestly, eighty quid will not get you a great guitar. Maybe you could try asking your folks if there are any jobs about the house?

Currently, I do just general household chores for pay of £20 a month, with the occasional tenner for washing the car. And I'll be getting a Squier Classic Vibe 60's Strat soon, which is around £240... you've just got to put your mind to it, and try not to spend any money for a few months!

Get a job, bug your parents, whatever... but I'm just saying that £80 will not get you far.

Suppose I'll probably miss that guitar I was looking at, but I am pretty much only looking second hand. There are some great deals out there. Anyone selling a guitar for £80?

I may be able to get a bit more money, but it may take a while, I'm 14 and my parents aren't the most generous on pocket money.

Back to eBay I suppose... more advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you're just starting to learn, you most likely will only need something cheap to practice on, chances are you won't gig for a long time until you're better (bands don't generally tend to take inexperienced people unless they're really good or the other musicians are inexperienced too.)

To be honest I'd suggest just getting a Squier Strat Starter Kit, I'm not entirely sure how much they are, but if they're too expensive then any other starter kit will do. It comes with all the basics like an amp, case, lead, tuner etc. I started with that for about a year, I'm pretty sure they come new for about £100 but I'm not 100% :)

Hope I helped!

ML

Cheers for the advice guys.

I may be an idiot, but for £50 on ebay yesterday was a Washburn WI24 in blue, HH pickups, 3 tone 1 volume controls, and a proper switch for a 3 way selector. Had 3 mins left, no bids, £50, just thought 'yeah, I'll have that'

Then used the rest of the money on a lead, plectrums, stand, and case, though I don't have an amp yet. I can use my brothers for now, though it's pretty shoddy so I'll need to start looking around.

Am I, indeed, an idiot? :)

Regards,

Ollie

I may be an idiot, but for £50 on ebay yesterday was a Washburn WI24 in blue, HH pickups, 3 tone 1 volume controls, and a proper switch for a 3 way selector. Had 3 mins left, no bids, £50, just thought 'yeah, I'll have that'

Then used the rest of the money on a lead, plectrums, stand, and case, though I don't have an amp yet. I can use my brothers for now, though it's pretty shoddy so I'll need to start looking around.

Regards,

Ollie

read a few of these fella me lad.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Washburn/WI24/10/1

Regards,

Ollie

Woah, congrats man, that's awesome. Judging by the HC reviews posted above it's a good 'un.

Take care, and enjoy :)

To have a 'that's awesome', I'm pleased. Cheers EJD, and rockandroll for the reviews.

Thanks guys.

Now I just read the KoC tab (which I never learnt), I'm about to go sight read that now, how easy?!

BUGGER. KoC-Whammy bar. Washburn WI24-No whammy bar. :facepalm:

It'll be far easier to play without whammying the hell out of it, I have yet to see many on youtube that can actually do it well (or play guitar well for that matter)

Just use your fretting hand to do the vibrato and in a few weeks and a lot of pain later you should be pretty fast and competent at it.....also try the different types of vibrato

Cheers guys.

Now, the amp.

I probably shouldn't hijack my own thread to a new topic, but I need an amp. Only for bedroom use, when playing with my band (only play piano at mo, gonna start guitar) I use the school amps.

Currently looking at 2 things-

1. Orange Micro Crush amp. Pros- BATTERY! Yay for jamming outdoors and pissing off your parents. The only slight concern is the volume. / or, indeed, any other micro amp.

2. Any 10 watt practice amp- with a hunt I could get one for the same price, around £30.

Which would be better for my use? The built in tuner, while I have a keyboard/piano/finger+five frets to help, may also be useful.

Archived